Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What kind of Lubrication for Clay bar

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
I plan on using a clay bar on my car this weekend, or next week. I have been told to use soapy water, and the quick detailor from Meguirs. What do you all use, and what works best.

Craig

I mix my own lube. A few drops of car wash soap in a spray bottle has been working fine. That's basically what came with my clay bar when I purchased it. Keep the surface wet, very wet. Don't be afraid to use too much lubrication solution. Don't forget to keep it wet!

Jeff

The Zaino Rep recommended I use some Dawn dishwashing soap in water . Dawn is a great product for stripping wax off . And as Jeff said , keep it good and wet . The bar will slide with very little pressure applied and you will feel it knocking off the impurities . Then it will be smoother than a babies bottom ! Cliff

So basically, I could wash the car, and then do the clay bar with just more soap and water. If I have may brother or gf stand over me with a hose, and keep the surface wet with soap and water I should be fine, hopefully.

No , you don't really need to do anything like that . Just a spray bottle or even a bucket of soapy water will do fine . The water should be much soapier than your car wash water . You will just work a small area at a time . Once you get started , you will quickly learn what to do . It's easy . Have fun . Cliff

I've tried 3 different methods and I like 2 of them a lot better than the 3rd.

1. Mix zaino car wash with water in a spray bottle and spray it on a dry car, working approximately a 2 sq. foot section at a time. (I imagine any other car wash solution would work equally well, though.) That worked perfectly.

2. I've used Pinnacle Clay Lubricant ($7.95 for 16 oz. bottle). It smelled really nice, and the lube was fine, but I found it to be rather cost-prohibitive. It didn't do anything that a half capful of car wash solution mixed with water in a spray bottle would do and it's much more expensive.

3. I've tried claying a freshly washed car, using car wash suds/water as lubricant. (Keep in mind this was done in the shade during dusk to avoid any potential water spots!) For some reason, I found that claying didn't work nearly as well on a wet car as it did with spraying lubricant on an already dry car. The clay seemed to totally glide instead of 'grab and glide' like it's supposed to.

Hope this helps!

-J.

Car wash is certainly cheaper. However, how often do you really clay? The thing about car wash is it's a lot more likely to leave streaking behind, whereas a quick detailer is designed to be sprayed on and wiped off. Either should work fine, though. Don't hose the area down while you clay or you'll just hose away the lubrication.

I cut my claybar into pieces. That way if I drop it, I just chuck it, and if it gets yucky, just chuck it and get a new piece. On a 100g bar, I'll cut it into quarters or fifths. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom