Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what lbs radiator caps do most of you use?

Mad-Mic

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Redskin Red Coupe
just curious for my 87 with the z52 package says it's a more heavy duty radiator and i'd rather not run alot of pressure

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Radiator Caps

In a cooling system, a higher pressure equates to a higher boiling point for the coolant. Higher coolant pressures also transfer heat from the cylinder heads more efficiently. We recommend using a radiator cap with the highest pressure rating that the radiator is designed to accept. In general, performance radiators will accept 22-24 PSI, and professional racing radiators will accept a 29-31 PSI.

The coolant will typically only build to 16-18 PSI, due to expansion up to 200°F. However, if the engine does overheat due to external factors, the pressure inside the cooling system could reach as high as 28 PSI. Once the radiator cap has opened and vented coolant, the engine will not cool down until it has been turned off. The radiator cap is basically a "safety valve", so always use the highest pressure radiator cap that the radiator will tolerate. If you are unsure of the pressure rating for your radiator, check with the manufacturer for the maximum recommended operating pressure.

This was taken from
Stewart Components site. ;)

Hope it helps you Mike. :upthumbs

Jeez, I just realized who I was responding to! :eek:

Whatcha gotta ask something like that for Mike? Oh yeah, they don't have 'em on Alcohol dragsters! :L

On a stock radiator, heavy duty cooling system notwithstanding, my only concern would be the expansion tanks; they're made of plastic. ;)

lol......

yeah it has the stock cap on it......i'm taking a guess and saying it's about 16lbs of pressure which is way to much just was wondering what everyone else ran for it....was just making sure cause i didn't know what kind of radiator it was and i want to change the cap out before there are any problems ;)

reading the link it says

performance radiators will accept 22-24 PSI

sheez seems awful high for that i guess you learn something everyday :D i figured the heat the vette makes (mine runs between 170-200 most of the time) would stress the seams more if running alot of pressure.....

I'm surprised to see that nobody else has responded to this yet Mike. :(

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom