Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What makes for a nervous ride.

Usually when I hear something metal fall off the car it's a tool I left in the engine compartment when I was done working on it.:)

Larry,

Last year on the way to Carlisle, I heard the same type of sound comming up to a lane closure with a Big rig next to me, at the end of the 10 mile lane closure, the people that were behing me yelled over that I had lost my rear plate, so I drove the last 100 or so miles there with no plate, glad yours was something small.

Tom M

I had a set of Keystone "Unilugs" from my back wheel pass me years ago off a hot rod SD Beaumont I used to have. By the time I had 'er slid to a stop there was only one wheel nut left holding it on and it was loose. Had to take one off each of the other wheels to get me home.......

It reminds me of the time when my father had a hubcap (what are those? :D ) come off and pass us. Always found it hard to understand how those things could go faster than the car it came from........... :eyerole

Rich Lagasse

Had that happen on m yfirst driving lesson, at age 13...my brother in law took me out in his 65 Buick, and I hit a dip doing about 40...both front hub caps passed us by....needless to say I never drove his car again.

Also when I was about 20 yrs old, I was driving home from a day at the drags with my 71 Camaro, and the harmonic balancer fell off on the freeway, and I ran over it, and flattened my tire.

Larry,

Great to hear that it wasn't something important and is easily replaced.

It reminds me of the time when my father had a hubcap (what are those? :D ) come off and pass us. Always found it hard to understand how those things could go faster than the car it came from........... :eyerole

Rich Lagasse

Rich....

Can I ask what caused the wheel to shear all 5 studs...???

Cheers

Ken

Rich....

Can I ask what caused the wheel to shear all 5 studs...???

Cheers

Ken

Ken,

It wasn't the wheel that came off but the hubcap. Relatively easy to knock one of those full disks off on a bad bump or a real hard corner.

Rich

My right rear passed me in 1970. Not a wheel cover........the wheel. Sheared all five bolts off. :eek
A few years back, I was meeting a super-clean looking 1972 Nova on a city street when all of a sudden, his front end dropped and his driver's front tire jumped out of the wheel well. It bounced and missed the front end of my cruiser by two RCHs, cleared right over me and hit the windshield of the car following me (a brand-new Tercel). Nobody got hurt but the Tercel driver soiled his drawers. :ugh

I threw on the red & blues and u-turned to stop behind the Nova who had just come from a garage where he'd had his front brake rotors replaced. You guessed it! Lug nuts were finger tight on the passenger's side. Needless to say, the Nova guy was twisted and couldn't wait to have a chat with the mechanic... :mad

-Mac

:eek

They all sound scary!!

The only thing i got was a wheel bearing hub on the left rear half way broke. We're driving home from a party in Joisey a couple of years ago, around 11pm, when all of a sudden the car does a limbo in the rear. :eek Aeh, what was that ? Wifey looking at me. Famous last words: Oh, dont worry, it's nothing. :eyerole

Well, after going a little bit further, straight as an arrow, it starts seriously to wobble in the back, like a boogey board motion, to the point where i had to slow down to 10mph to nurse it into a gas station. When i looked at the rear wheel, it stood in the wheel well on the top, rubbing, and and a good 5 inches outside the body on the bottom. :(

Flatbed home to the mechanic..

Old cars are fun.. :)

:w
-Stefan

I was at a local car show several years ago, and as the show was breaking up in the late afternoon, a guy in a heavily-modded midyear coupe (blower, slicks, open sidepipes, etc.) decided to "wow" the crowd with a big burnout. He nailed it, huge noise, tire smoke, then a big "bang" - the left rear wheel took off across the lot, the car dropped on the frame in a shower of sparks, and the tire knocked over a vendor's ice cream wagon. Yup, sheared all five lug studs off the (stock) rear spindle. :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom