Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What makes the SYS blink?

SSTibet

Corvette
1995 6 Speed Manual Coupe
Today I took advantage of the sunny day and dry roads and took the car out for a short drive. I noticed SYS coming on and off on the speedometer display. It did not blink continously but came on and off between the instant fuel milage indications.

I take the car out every once in a while and do not drive it frequently in the winter months. Last time I drove it was one week ago again on a sunny Sunday morning. There were no SYS signals then. And the car started with no hesitation this morning. Sort of strange, huh?

What does the SYS mean? What to do to clear it?

Cheers,

Selim

Looks like its gone away...

Well... After posting the first message I read SYS related posts at CAC.

I disconnected the battery (I have a quick disconnect) and connected it again. And I did couple measurements. Battery voltage is above 12V (around 12.4). Alternator charging voltage is above 14V (around 14.3V). Ran the car for a few minutes and the SYS did not blink :) . Disconnected the battery again and left the car.

Sort of strange...

Cheers,

Selim

This has happened to me one time after the car sat for a little while. My guess is the battery was just a little low and after you drove the car it recharged it.

Same thiing happened to me and i had to replace the battery. Freaked me out when it first happened, I had never heard of that warning or light before and had no idea what it was for.

Thanks for the inputs folks. The car will sit until the next sunny weekend & I will see if the SYS comes up again. Hope it does not :)

Cheers,

Selim

Selim,

Mine did that with a bad battery that wouldn't hold a good charge.

My battery is around 2 years old (or less). I guess I will have to take the car out for a ride as soon as possible and see what happens then.

Thanks everybody.

Selim

My battery is around 2 years old (or less). I guess I will have to take the car out for a ride as soon as possible and see what happens then.

Thanks everybody.

Selim
Next time it happens check your CCM diagnostics.

It will also blink if you replace the radio with an aftermarket unit and not compelte the circuit the same way the Bose unit did.

I have the OEM radio. That could not be the cause.

I would also do some basics like making sure the battery connections are clean and tight. I would also check my grounds.

Where is the ground cable? I know this is a stupid question...

Selim

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a stupid question. Your ground is the negative wire from the battery and any appliance connected to the metal chassis. Because the Corvette has a fiber glass body ground issues are that much more critical. Make sure that is has good connections at both ends. BTW. some guys take the battery out and with great care clean the battery with baking soda (do not get any in the battery) to counter act the battery acid. Even if a battery looks clean it still may have a slight (extremely small) current across the terminals. A lot of these kind of problems have been eliminated with a sealed battery. Be careful, a lot of batteries look like they are sealed but are merely low maintence.

SS:
Your post reminded me I didn't follow up with the solution to my "sys" blinking.

I've remedied that and look at this link: (hope I do this link thing right)

93 "sys" blinking

Put a battery tender on, if it is the battery , this should correct the problem. THe CCM is sending the SYS message. The CCM controls almost all of the electric/electronic functions in the car.

Your unloaded voltage reading of 12.4 is a little low. I would think in the neighborhood of 13.0 is more like it. Have a trickle charger? If not, good investment to keep that sys light off. ;)

Yesterday I took the car out. Before starting the engine measured battery voltage as 11.9V. Started the car and checked alternator voltage as 14.3V. Drove the car around for 15 - 20 minutes. No SYS blinked this time.

Sounds like the battery is going south :( It is like 2 years old... I have a Battery Tender now charging the battery :)

Cheers,

Selim

BTW gorgeous Vette.;)

You know, the yaller ones eat batteries.

Also ever notice how the yaller ones attract bugs of either sex? When I'm at a show I notice the yaller ones are the buggiest Vettes there.

Thx for the compliments. The color is really very nice. The yellow somehow rounds the sharp corners of the car and makes it look sort of round. See what I mean in the picture below?

Cheers,

Selim

Cor35.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom