Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What makes you choose the Corvette as your car of choice.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
I am interested in the reasons people choose the Corvette as their choice for a sports car compared to all other makes and models. Assuming it is your only sports car.

Thanks.

I had a friend in San Bernardino who loved Corvettes and each time I visited him he had to show me triple digits on the speedo. It never felt as if we were going that fast and even though I was the passenger, it hugged the road like it was on rails. I became more interested in Corvettes and began doing some research. The clincher was: Corvette manufacturing hired a team to drive their car on a track ,around the clock for days, until something failed. They would remove the part, determine why it failed, correct the problem and drive it until something else failed, etc, etc. That, I felt, was the real way to build a car. I was at that time in my life where I could afford to buy the car I wanted. I found a 96 LT4 advertised for too much, and made the 200 mile trip to see it. I knew it was going to cost me as soon as I saw it. It was beautiful, three years old, had 4K miles on it, had never been stored outside, and was always covered. The owner took me for a ride, pinned me back in the seat and I was sold. I went home got a certified check and returned the following week for the car.

Incidentally, my wife knew it was a "used car" and expected me to bring home a dog because it was the first and only Corvette I looked at. Her expression was priceless when I pulled into the driveway. It was the shiniest red car she had ever seen in her life. When she opened the door for me to take her for her first ride, the interior smelled like new leather. And it still does.
And that is what hooked me on my ride.

My neighbor down the street bought a 1963 split window new off the showroom floor in blue. I admired the car, but I didn't get bit until the 1968 model came out. I was in love from that point on.

I passed on a chance at a '69, a 78 and an '80 until last fall when my oldest children pitched in and found a 1984 and got it for me. I love it....there is no other driving feeling like it in the world in my opinion.:beer

I was attracted by the styling. We had a 1963 Split Window Coupe as a VHS (say what is that?) tape rewinder, it is way cool. I also had some C2 and C3 matchbox, and hot wheels cars, again the styling was cool. When I was like 12 or 13 I bought a Road and Track magazine I believe it was a Nov. 2000 issue. They compared it against other sports cars and it won. I feel in love, the C5 won like every comparo, I figured it must be one heck of a car. The more I learned about the Corvette the more I got hooked. I remember the first time I drove one, I was done from that point on. :D

Styling Sells the car, engineering makes you keep it. :w

When I started driving a Corvette all the other makes and models were T-Bird and a very few MGs plus an occasional Jag.

Almost forgot, there was a Ghia that I liked, but it talked funny.

I learned working on cars from my Father as he did his own mechanic work and he enjoyed sporty cars expecially convertibles. I was into the Muscle Cars of the 60s and was driving a 1965 Plymouth with 426 eng./4sp trans. when I saw a 1966 Corvette convertible sitting on a used car lot. I don't know why I was attracted to it because my Plymouth would have blown it away in a 1/4mi. drag race. But I traded for it and soon learned there was more to driving than going in a straight line. :)

Fall of 1969 a friend and I took a trip from Arkansas to Los Angeles. We picked up Route 66 somewhere in Oklahoma and drove it many miles, almost to Las Vegas if I remember correctly . Just two guys in a 66Vette convertible having fun. It was a great trip. :D

I saw this on a poster recently and I think it says it pretty well:
"CORVETTE It's a State of Mind"

FIRST THOUGHT...

Seeing Neil Armstrong demo the first 84 in Tex down by NASA.....

I had just moved to Ca and was looking for a Vette before an apt....
then got my first...loaded out demo dealer ride with 1100miles..1987 decked.

Had one ever since.

I saw a C3 Corvette back in 1983 and wanted to have a Corvette since that time. Last year i was finally able to buy one and use it as my one and only car. :)

There are lots of "fluffy" reasons to like any car. (lifestyle, camaraderie yada yada) The Vette, for me, has the advantage of being a Chevy - an American car. That means robust, easy to service, cheap to service, abundant parts availability and overall maintainance cost that won't send you to the poorhouse. I've had Porsches, and you wouldn't believe how much the normal schedule costs, forget replacement parts for routine repairs.

So I have a Vette for practical and economic reasons. That's what I tell my wife, and I'm sticking to my story!:ugh I don't mention the performance per dollar factor that is second to none.

Corvette is one of the few automotive examples of American Exceptionalism.

It's got V8 power.

Since 84, it's had world-class handling

It's typically been a car with which GM introduces new technology to production.

Compared to others in the segment, it's makes a very good, long-distance road car for two people.

It's an iconic brand.

My neighbor stole a new 67 BB from a dealer in Connecticut .When he got it home in Maine he let me take it for a drive. Made an impression on me .

Oh ,I didn't know it was stolen and I bet the dealer NEVER allowed a vehicle off the lot again without a salesmen ;)

1990 zr-1

Growing up I was always into sports cars but Corvette never really got me going. It wasn't until the 1990 ZR-1 came out that I found myself thinking "I'd love to have one of those". To me this was the first time Corvette was the whole package. Then they updated the base C4 engine to the LT1 and it was the perfect combination of cost and performance. I've been in love with these cars ever since.
Now that I'm older and perhaps it's a reflection of the changing world but I find that I'm also proud it's an American product.

I used to walk past a Blue (Laguna Blue I believe) mid-year on my way to grammer school every day back in the'60's, and that's the vette that did it for me.

I'll never forget the day I walked by it after it had been in an accident - the damaged fender looked like it was made of cardboard or something similar. Sure was a different than what I would have expected.

enthusiasts car

I am a CAR GUY and a GM fanatic.

Unlike many other brands Corvette attracts "car guys" who love the car for what it is.
FAST / EXCELLENT VALUE / FUN TO OWN AND DRIVE

not necessarily for what any one else may think about it.

There is no prestige automatically attached to owning a Corvette unlike many other brands that are often (not always) purchased by people (WANNABE'S) who've never had grease under their fingernails.:eyerole
Corvette owners first of all love cars.

Thank you all for the input. I am so torn between a few decisions. I have been on other boards and I have probably bored them to death becuase I cannot make a solid decision and stay with it. Maybe some of you could shed some light on it for me, maybe something I have not thouht of. I do come on this board a lot as well.

I currently own a 1986 Mustang SVO that I have had for about ten years. This is the longest I have ever owned a sports car. It is a lot of fun to drive if you have ever driven one. In order to make the Corvette move, the SVO would have to go. We had an 89 back in 89, but my father sold it and did not keep it too long, but I loved it.

The thoughts below are what are tormenting me,

First if I sell the SVO (which has been very good to me money wise for the ten years I have had it. I just had to do a head gasket recently but over the car has always started right up for me and ran well) and I get a Corvette that ends up being a lot in costs, I will be mad at myself. I have been trying to find real nice ones that were taken care of. I am currently looking at an 89 with 30K on it. The owner wants $9500 for it.

Second thing is, I told myself I would but a convertable this time because of never owning one for a while. Of course the one that just came to me is not a convertable.

I love the 89 interior, but I know the newer ones made more power.

I am also getting hits from people who want to sell later years like a 95 for around $10,500 with higher mileage. It would only be a weekend car if that.

So all of these areas are bothering me, but I know I would love a Vette providing it did not become a nightmare.

Thanks for hearing my thoughts, I know I should probably see a shrink about my thoughts and the back and forth but he probably does not own a Corvette.

My last two years in high school I worked for a small Chevy store in mid-state New Jersey. I performed mechanical work and did a lot of new car prep. That first test drive of a 1970 LT1 4speed did it for me...

The rest is as they say... history.:thumb

When I was in high school in the mid 1950s, I wanted a red Jeep. Then I saw a 1953 Corvette and I was hooked immediately. I've been in them for 50 years and in my opinion there is no better car made or that I want to own and drive. I use 4 wheel drives in the winter, but when it comes time to drive without snow, out come the Corvettes. There is so much to love about the Corvette that I cannot even begin to list why I love the Corvette. The pluses outweigh the minuses. I think of them almost every waking hour and dream of them also. I think that the Corvette is the car God drives in Heaven, a RED one of course. And, to add the frosting on the cake (my wife had a birthday cake made with a photo of the 2002 Coupe on the frosting), there is the CAC and all the great friends I have made on the site and at the Cruise Fests, and new friends to come.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom