Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What makes you choose the Corvette as your car of choice.

Now that you've had it for a few days, how would you compare it to the SVO?

I'm pretty sure I know how I would answer... ;)
:v :v :v

I just got it tagged and insured so tonight I took it for a nice ride. Comparing it to the SVO I would I know in time there will be no comparison. The SVO will always have a spot with me. When you get it running good, it is a blast to drive like most forced induction cars. Now I am getting used to old school power. When we had the 89 that was supercharged, it was fun too because of the forced induction. That was the best of both worlds. Right at this second I cannot say overall one is much better then the other. They are two totally different breeds but as you know I put my money down on the Vette. In time it will earn it's spot also.

Corvette is one of the few automotive examples of American Exceptionalism.

It's got V8 power.

Since 84, it's had world-class handling

It's typically been a car with which GM introduces new technology to production.

Compared to others in the segment, it's makes a very good, long-distance road car for two people.

It's an iconic brand.

Well said, Hib!

:beer

Guess I had been an admirer since the big block C2s and listening to Jan and Dean sing about 'cruising in my Sting Ray late one night...'. But it seemed like there were always other priorities--Uncle Sam, wife, family, house, etc. So while I had some neat cars, no vette. A couple years ago I really got the bug again and happened across one for sale by the original owner. I decided to make it the last birthday present from my Dad--the wait was worth it! 94 Z07 with 7K miles--when I found the invoice in the paperwork from the original owner, dam if he didn't take delivery of it on my birthday in 1994!! The real surprise, aside from the ride, is the friendship and comaraderie with other vette owners. So I guess we'll call this long time coming and well worth the wait!

I've always admired Corvette's and several other American Muscle cars... but the Corvette IS America's sports car. A couple years back I went to a Corvette show at the Moroso plant in CT. Everyone was clearly passionate about their cars and I really felt it... you could feel the passion for these cars. You just don't see that (IMHO) with many of the other brands.

I decided I needed one - my wife was fully on-board with it as well. So I looked, for several months and found my car on ebay! I instantly fell for the car - the color is gorgeous and it was immaculate. I bought it with less than 20k on the odometer so it was barely broken in. Almost 2 years later I am still passionate about it. I didn't buy it because it was the fastest model... it's not. I didn't get into it because it is collectable or valuable, it's just a plain old vette - and I think it's awesome! :D

It's stored for winter so I fired it up yesterday - 1 crank and it sprang to life - it's just such a nice car - Corvette's are simply so much more than transportation - you really feel these cars, not just drive them.

Initially loved it for it's design since first seeing one (C3) in early 70s.

This has been followed up by exceptional engineering since the C4.

It has a great historical heritage that continues as we post.

It's become a brand unto itself.

There are other very good sports cars out there (mostly imported) and I've owned/appreciated a number of them but I'll stick with the American made Corvette from here on.

It's also well adapted these days to anything from daily driver to long distance driving to weekend autoX/track-event car. WIth appropriate tires it can tackle inclement weather too. That's all in all a pretty wide range.

well i test drove a 90 zr1 and was hooked , so much so i know own 3 of them . i also am liking the 08 and up c6 , the base car even with an auto and ugly gearing will go very low 12s in the quarter right off the showroom floor and get 30 mpg on the freeway. its almost a sin to have a car that goes that well and gets great freeway milage too boot . the ls3 motor is agreat piece

When I first reached driving age in the mid 80s, a neighbor had a beautiful blue 68. Typical story of never being able to afford one until I finally got my mid-life crisis '89 last year. :L
Now I want a C3 to match the memories.:upthumbs

My first love was a '67 Vette. Of course, It belonged to someone else. Our affair started in the mechanic pit of the garage I worked in as a kid. It was my first experience replacing u-joints on a corvette, and it definitely was a learning experience. The job took way longer than it should have; mainly due to my extreme car with such a beautiful machine. All of the hard work paid off during the test drive. My work was sound and the cars performance was truly amazing. I knew that I had to have one of these cars! I never thought I would be as infatuated in another car. Some years past by...

Then I saw my first 79 Dark Blue Corvette. It blew me away! I had never seen a car with such curves. It was beautiful and powerful all at the same time. I had to have me one of these beauty's! More years past...

One day my wife catches me going through the Auto Trader list of Corvettes. I extol the virtues of owning a Corvette and how wonderful and lucky those owners must feel. She knows of my corvette longing well. She heard me tell it many times over the past 37 years and she knows all about my first two corvette affairs of the heart. On this day She looks at me with a twinkle and smile and says " What are you waiting for ?" Two days later I had closed a sale on a Corvette I had been watching for quite some time, my '95 Dark Red Metallic.

I am a very happy guy!

The story continues...a close friend needs to part with....a '79 Dark Blue Corvette and there is still some room in the garage.
:w
Dave

Why i have vette

My youngest boy, I have two, was just given permission from his school, it was his third year as a West Point Cadet, and I thought he deserved one that would be very special for him as he sure earned it, and suggested we stop at a Corvette show on his way back to school from a leave he had.
There was a white over silver 86, auto, coupe, stock chrome wheels that was a real head turner.
He liked it and a week later I was picking it up for him while he was back at school.
All the cadets envied him, even ones with new cars such as bemers. He did have a lot of trouble shortly after getting it, the anti-theft unit started to act up with the no starting while you're away from home syndrome.
Unfortunately he was in Europe with it, he, and the car, was shipped over seas and I had no way to help him.:W
When he got back from the Balkans War I talked him out of selling it, and giving it to me.
I have been doing a frame on restoration since I've had it, and when it's finished I am giving it back to him, all shiny and new looking again, with a trouble free, will start every-time engine.:D

Thank you all for the input. I am so torn between a few decisions. I have been on other boards and I have probably bored them to death becuase I cannot make a solid decision and stay with it. Maybe some of you could shed some light on it for me, maybe something I have not thouht of. I do come on this board a lot as well.

I currently own a 1986 Mustang SVO that I have had for about ten years. This is the longest I have ever owned a sports car. It is a lot of fun to drive if you have ever driven one. In order to make the Corvette move, the SVO would have to go. We had an 89 back in 89, but my father sold it and did not keep it too long, but I loved it.

The thoughts below are what are tormenting me,

First if I sell the SVO (which has been very good to me money wise for the ten years I have had it. I just had to do a head gasket recently but over the car has always started right up for me and ran well) and I get a Corvette that ends up being a lot in costs, I will be mad at myself. I have been trying to find real nice ones that were taken care of. I am currently looking at an 89 with 30K on it. The owner wants $9500 for it.

Second thing is, I told myself I would but a convertable this time because of never owning one for a while. Of course the one that just came to me is not a convertable.

I love the 89 interior, but I know the newer ones made more power.

I am also getting hits from people who want to sell later years like a 95 for around $10,500 with higher mileage. It would only be a weekend car if that.

So all of these areas are bothering me, but I know I would love a Vette providing it did not become a nightmare.

Thanks for hearing my thoughts, I know I should probably see a shrink about my thoughts and the back and forth but he probably does not own a Corvette.

No TFI ignition module problems?

Ford lost that case, and it was supposed to hurt them in a big way, so said Wall Street. I never got re-imbursed, and I have ALL the paperwork on mine...

I don't think ANYbody found out about the settlement - Ford had the story off of the NPR website WITHIN THE HOUR of the verdict.

First love

My father was an accountant and did the books for a guy who owned a Corvette dealership: his own place he started and he only sold Corvettes. I liked all sorts of muscle cars then, being as I was a teenage boy. Dad got me a job working in the shop during the summer for this guy and I liked the guys there. I saw some amazing customs they made and got to go for rides in lots of cars. I am talking everything from an original 53, to a 57, 63 split, 66 convert, 69 BB 454, up to a 78 (this was a while ago, btw...lol.) I was so impressed with them. The best one I ever saw was a 1969 BB 454 with a supercharger on it and custom paint. Oh wow!! I never pooped my pants when i was taken for a ride in that!! :D That thing tore asphalt!! I worked there for the next few years and once I got my license, I was allowed to take one as a daily driver!! It was a 1978 dark brown, with tan interior, and I loved that car! Ever since then, I had wanted one and vowed to get one.
So, back in 2002, I went out on my lunchbreak one day, and found me a car! Its a 1988 red coupe and is my first. Didnt tell my wife about it and asked her to go to the bank with me on a friday to sign papers. She asked for what, and I told her. She signed the papers, but it was the quietest 10 days of my life....she didnt speak to me. I still have the car and have kept it as it was sold back in 1987. I am the 3rd owner of it and have given her much love and attention. Still have a ways to go to get her perfect, but she is mine!! If I can just keep my youngest daughter from trying to take it from me for a few more years, i will be doing ok!! lol...

No TFI ignition module problems?

Ford lost that case, and it was supposed to hurt them in a big way, so said Wall Street. I never got re-imbursed, and I have ALL the paperwork on mine...

I don't think ANYbody found out about the settlement - Ford had the story off of the NPR website WITHIN THE HOUR of the verdict.

No problems. But now after having the Corvette for a few weeks, it feels so much more solid then my last car.

I fell in love with Corvettes in 1963 and have owned 8 of them since 1971. Love the looks, power and handling. :thumb

Why I love vettes

My first taste was when i was 7 my uncle had a 64 roadster,I loved that car. My next time was when I was in highschool a friend had a 66 coupe 327 4 speed. kind of ratty but I thought the best car I ever drove. Took
a long time but I now have one 88 coupe.

Attachments

• vette 026.jpg
    vette 026.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 66
I was always into mopars. About 15 years ago I was looking for a E-body (challenger or cuda) and was so disappointed with the high prices for rusted and beat cars that i started looking at corvettes. The corvette had all the things that I wanted to put on a older car for regular use like fuel injection, serpentine belt, A/C, overdrive transmission and 4 wheel disc brakes. The vettes are also faster than most cars even when left stock. Marty

I have loved American cars since I saw one in the 70,s when I was about 8 years old but by the time I was old enought to drive I had to settle for a Ford Capri mk3 as the insurance on an American car was crazy. Ten years later I saw a v6 Pontiac Firebird going cheap that blew me away and owned that for 3/4 years till it fell apart:ugh. Then, that summer my wife and I went to a corvette show and we were awestruck by the c4 and because we had a bit more money we got one:D:D:D! After several years we are still amazed at the shape, sound and drivability of the Corvette. It's a big bonus that the body is fiberglass (U.K weather) and steered me away from the z28 I had been considering buying. We were a bit miffed about the attention the vette attracted (mainly good)at first because we are pretty low key but are used to it now and we know she is worth the sacrifices we have had to make over the years. The rest as they say is history:beer.

Luck Of The Draw

I have a MG Midget that runs about 65 HP on the engine and a Corvette was always one of those things on the "bucket list". You know, things I'll do before I kick the bucket.

One of the managers at the shop I worked at had a C3 and I hoped I could drive it in for the oil change but never got the chance. Never really liked the C3 styling but they are starting to grow on me now.

Anyway, I was looking for an old military jeep to restore again and picked up all the Auto Trader books and there it was. A 1996 CE with 22000 miles, a 3 time car show winner and I just fell in love with the smooth body lines and the colour. I didn't know diddly about Corvettes so I waited for 3 days before I called on it hoping it was and yet hopefully not sold. It wasn't, so I went the next afternoon to see it and it was indeed better than advertised and I couldn't walk away from it.

No matter what, it's a darn nice car from any angle and IMHO, the best of the Corvette designs!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom