Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What safety/security equipment do you...

Security Equipment

I'm late so it doesn't leave many choices, but I have a "picnic blanket" that is rubberized on one side/wool on the other to lay on the ground. Another is some kind of magnet for picking up/finding lost parts. I would never be without a large swiss army knife and/or Gerber multi tool. Small container of waterless hand cleaner. Slip on seat cover if I get clothes dirty.

Finally, for those of us who live in more civilized and enlightened parts of the world, a .45 acp and two spare magazines.

ZRGator said:
and a Partridge in a pear tree...
magic, you have room for a passenger in there after all that?:D
It all fits in the covered storage areas and in the spare wheel (waterpump and headlamps) - so I can put 2 pullman suitcases, 2 coolers, 2 rucksacks with hiking boots, and a camera case behind the seats, as we head for Rocky mountain hiking trails.
Here's pics of the storage (can't get them to display):
welltools.jpg

suitcases.jpg

Majic, boy you've got that figured out! Are you on the road now?

Driving a lot - yeah - but not thinking of Power Tour this year. They are coming from Kissimmee FL in June and headed for NJ. Way too hot to get more than an hour or two top down before the A-C is running. IMO they need to go back to starting in May when they are south of the northernmost states and not in the mountains. It's in the 70s in IL already. 90s and 100s need A-C running all the time.

I am going to NC next month for my daughters graduation, then we are scheduled to hike in CO this summer, and I'm registered for funfest in September. I'm thinking of taking in the Corvette up to WI Dells if they run the cruise again this year - or into western Ontario if I can find a destination.

If I can talk my wife into another ride next summer - like the one we took about 12 years ago IL into Canada to Saskatoon SK to Edmonton and Jasper AL down the Icefields Parkway to Banff and Calgary AL then back to the USA at Glacier Park in MT south to Yellowstone WY then home. That was a fabulous trip. We had the top down every day.

jaspervette.jpg

vglacierent.jpg

Calgary was my home city, 1 million people. I live 7 hrs west of there now 14000 people. It's better.

OK - do you want to meet on the TransCanada in the middle of July 2007, Stay in Winnepeg, swap up 11 to stay in Saskatoon, then through hundreds of miles of canola and flax flowers - get groceries in Edmonton and stay at Miette Hot Springs, We can hike up Sulpher mountain and visit Jasper - maybe hike Mt Edith Cavel. Next day roll down the Icefields parkway to see the Athabaska Glacier, then stay in cabins at Lake Louise - hike to the Plain Of Six glaciers, ride on through Banf and Calgary to stay in Head Bashed In Buffalo Jump AL before ending at cabins in Waterton Glacier International Peace Park? I love driving in Canada. I dont even mind turning off my radar detector, and I have a paper speedo stick on that I made to read kph. My auxiliary headlamps are key operated to use as DRLs to make the magicv8 a real Canadian cruiser.

Nothin to it but to do it.:D

Well sure, except I gotta work :ugh . I'd sure drive aways to meet you for lunch tho. Waterton s about 4 hrs away...

WORK?? They allow those 4 letter anglo-saxon words on the cac? Heaven forfend!

We did the loop last time on a 12 day vacation ride. If ya gotta blow your vacation all at once, the best place is the Canadian Rockies. Hike your bum off and then sit in hot sulphur pool - at Miette or at Banff.

I've never been to Carlisle, but I've driven through the alleghany mountains to the Top Vette Competition in Old Forge NY
in the Adirondaks (here) ---->
topvette.jpg

Magicv8, I live in Edmonton and have travelled somewhat thru N. America but where you've been with that car is remarkable. The beauty of driving your vette thru those mountains is second to none. If you make it to Edmonton and you and your gal need a place to stay for a night before you head out my wife and I would be glad to put you up for a night. Could swap some good stories about where to go and what to see on your adventures, as well as, corvette topics. I've spent a good part of my adult life wandering thru those places you mentioned and many more.

65-StingRay
Wayne Grotski
Edm. Fire Dept.

Thanks Wayne - and if you plan a tour the flat cornfields of the USA drop me note so I can reciprocate. The only other reasons to come here are to see the John Deere Pavillion, and the odd chance the Hot Rod Power Tour will stop here again - unless you are a GTO fan, because Arnie 'the farmer' Beswick still races GTOs here at Cordova dragway (40 years now) http://www.arniebeswick.com/3.htm

67HEAVEN said:
Meet us in Buffalo and we'll travel together. ;)

What you didn't like the roads in Michigan that much that you are taking the eastern route? :L

There's been a lot of good suggestions in this thread, and I've added plenty of items to my road trip emergency kit.

Due to having new cars covered by GM's roadside service, I haven't carried one of these for many years.

x1ke1h.jpg

But, for the old Corvette, I do now. See you in Bowling Green. :D

Also, I'm trying to imagine situations which would be hard to recover from, while a long way from home, even at a good mechanic's shop.....mainly due to hard to obtain parts.

I can always refer back to my website (from any computer) and remind myself of many of the part numbers and sources. That'll mean getting a replacement should be that much faster.

67HEAVEN said:
There's been a lot of good suggestions in this thread, and I've added plenty of items to my road trip emergency kit.

Due to having new cars covered by GM's roadside service, I haven't carried one of these for many years.

x1ke1h.jpg

But, for the old Corvette, I do now. See you in Bowling Green. :D
Bob,

The CAA has changed their towing policies a little while back, and if you don't inquire about the new rulings, you will only find out when the shÎt hit's the fan. If you took a regular CAA card, once you have a breakdown the maximum towing distance " get this " is 5 kilometers. So you had better have an issue, less then 5Kms from the nearest garage.

However on the other hand if you decided to take the Gold card, they will tow you more then 100 miles. Better safe then sorry.

regards
Stepinwolf

stepinwolf said:
Bob,

The CAA has changed their towing policies a little while back, and if you don't inquire about the new rulings, you will only find out when the shÎt hit's the fan. If you took a regular CAA card, once you have a breakdown the maximum towing distance " get this " is 5 kilometers. So you had better have an issue, less then 5Kms from the nearest garage.

However on the other hand if you decided to take the Gold card, they will tow you more then 100 miles. Better safe then sorry.

regards
Stepinwolf

AAA here in the States did that too. Basic coverage is really just a number to call and a loading onto the roll back. After that "the meter's running"

I also have had thoughts about what to do if there was a major problem far from home. Although not the distances all our friends from Canada are traveling, I always come to the conclusion if I couldn't fix it with what I had in the car, I'd start looking for the nearest rental place to trailer it home. There are no other real options at least for the '67.

stepinwolf said:
Bob,

regards
Stepinwolf

Yep. I went with CAA Plus (the new name for Gold).

Here's an interesting question. Suppose you have a breakdown along the Interstate that you know could be fixed by a competent shop.

How would you determine where that competent shop is when you're from out of state?

Since you're alongside the highway, at night, waiting for the rollback, and you can't get to a computer to login to CAC to ask for suggestions, where would you tell the driver that you want the car to go?

GREAT QUESTION

perhaps members from each state could suggest honest repair shops in their areas along major interstates or places where vette events take place such as Carlisle or Bloomington etc etc...thats a great question.

perhaps we could establish a list and if you were going to travel could print it out prior to your leaving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom