Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What size tires to put on 1986 Corvette

MDAVIS

I just received an OEM set of 1991-96 set of sawblades. Read an article that said with the proper size spacers I can put these wheels on my 86.

The article said P275/40-17 all the way round so you can rotate tires. That's seems a little wide for a front tire I think.

Any suggetions?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure what they mean by "91-96" saw blades. Not all those years had the same size wheels. On the 91 they were 9 1/2 wide all the way around and that is the tire size they had all the way around. Other years had narrower wheels and narrower tires in the front, so no you could not rotate front to back.

I bought them off of craigslist. How can I figure out what year they are? Would there be a problem steering with that wide of a tire?

. How can I figure out what year they are?
The year doesn't matter
Get a tape out and measure the width; either 9.5" all round or 8.5" fronts
The 9.5" takes 275 or 285 tire , 8.5" only takes a 255 ( some save $$ and fit 245's )

Would there be a problem steering with that wide of a tire?
All Vettes from 89 - 92 had that size tire on the front from the factory , '93 and later base models got the 8.5"
BUT all the performance versions (ZR1 , Z51 ,GS ) kept the wider tire for better handling

The width of the rims are marked on the inside. What have you got? The rear wheel wells of the later 'vette's are larger than your '86, so be careful if you're considering wider tires, if you have the wide rear rims.

You may need spacers between the wheel and the hub to put the 17" wheels in the "right" place. The late C4 wheels have a different offset compared to the early C4s.

Check out: http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-wheel-adapter-set-16-to-17-1984-1988.html

Also, check out this chart located in the tech section: Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | C4 Corvette Tech Center | 1984 - 1996 Corvette Suspension Chart

It shows all the different wheel sizes by year and model for the C4. You'll note that the offset for the wheels was changed in '88.
Also note that the standard front tire for the 17" wheeled C4 between 88 and 92 is the 275-40/17.

You may need spacers between the wheel and the hub to put the 17" wheels in the "right" place. The late C4 wheels have a different offset compared to the early C4s.

Check out: Corvette Wheel Adapter Set, 16" To 17", 1984-1988 - Corvette Parts And Accessories

Also, check out this chart located in the tech section: Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | C4 Corvette Tech Center | 1984 - 1996 Corvette Suspension Chart

It shows all the different wheel sizes by year and model for the C4. You'll note that the offset for the wheels was changed in '88.
Also note that the standard front tire for the 17" wheeled C4 between 88 and 92 is the 275-40/17.

Thanks for the information. I will call Ecklers and discuss my needs. I would like to put on these 40/17 tires and rims but my biggest nightmare is to spend the money and they don't fit. Also, I imagine the tire store is not gonna put on these rims because they probably wont' install the spacers. I imagine I will have to get the tires mounted and balanced and put on myself in my driveway. I will also ask them if my 86 lugnuts will work with these sawblade rims or do I have to get new ones.

A friend had an '86 years ago and he bought 17x11 wheels and installed 315/35-17 tires on all four corners. He said the 315 rubbed the inner fenders a bit.
I do not think you'll have any issues with the 275/40-17 tires on the front if you get them spaced correctly in the wheel well.

A friend had an '86 years ago and he bought 17x11 wheels and installed 315/35-17 tires on all four corners. He said the 315 rubbed the inner fenders a bit.
I do not think you'll have any issues with the 275/40-17 tires on the front if you get them spaced correctly in the wheel well.

Thanks for the input. The rims measure 17 x 9.5 inches

The offset on the wheels would be wrong. You will need adapters.
The wheels bolt on perfect.
The adapters are only needed for " appearance" to position the wheel in the stock 84 - 87 location in relation to the guard

The width of the rims are marked on the inside. What have you got? The rear wheel wells of the later 'vette's are larger than your '86, so be careful if you're considering wider tires, if you have the wide rear rims.

17 x 9.5 are the new rims and I want to put 275/40 17 on it. I have ordered the spacers for this swap from Eckler's Corvette that some linked to this thread.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom