Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what temp thermosat for '82

cinci5

Corvette
1982 Red w/red leather int.
What would be the best I was told 195 degree's but that seems high. ;shrug

195 is the stock rating, and works well. But you could go as low as 180 if you have a Hypertech chip or some performance mods that require an advanced ignition timing.
If you go lower than 180, the CTS will probably not allow the ECM to go into closed loop mode.

That depends on how well your car is cooling. When you are out driving, what does the temperature gauge read?

The thermostat only controls how cold your car can get in winter. It will not keep your car from getting hot.

My 1982 corvette has a 160 thermostat in it, but the car will hit 220 when i'm driving at 70 mph or faster. And yes, the temp sending unit and gauge are accurate.

If you are driving a lot in winter, then put in the 185 so that you are at the correct temperature in winter.

If you only drive in summer, and your car is going to run hot like mine, then you can put any thermostat in you want. Last summer i took the thermostat out and i still hit 230 accelerating up a hill.
(The DeWitts radiator is in the mail, so soon my problems will be gone)

Good luck!!

That depends on how well your car is cooling. When you are out driving, what does the temperature gauge read?

The thermostat only controls how cold your car can get in winter. It will not keep your car from getting hot.

My 1982 corvette has a 160 thermostat in it, but the car will hit 220 when i'm driving at 70 mph or faster. And yes, the temp sending unit and gauge are accurate.

If you are driving a lot in winter, then put in the 185 so that you are at the correct temperature in winter.

If you only drive in summer, and your car is going to run hot like mine, then you can put any thermostat in you want. Last summer i took the thermostat out and i still hit 230 accelerating up a hill.
(The DeWitts radiator is in the mail, so soon my problems will be gone)

Good luck!!

Wow....thats high. I've never broken 200 under any circumstances. Maybe cooler up here???

Jim

The problem I have is that my radiator died the day I bought the car. I was 1,000 miles from home.

The guy i bought the car from said that he had a spare 2 core radiator (the OEM radiator was a 3 core and high performance radiators are 4 core) that he could install that day (for free), or I could wait and pay for a better radiator.

I couldn't afford to wait a few days for a radiator to come in (and i had just bought a car), so i decided that I would take the freebie and worry about it later.

Interestingly, my car only runs hot at speeds over 45 mph. If I come to a dead stop then the temp drops. Basically, the water is not in the tiny radiator long enough to cool down, unless the car is idling.

Good luck!!

Do you have the stock spoiler on the front? It directs the air up to the rad at higher speeds. Its there for more then just looks.

Jim

Yes, the spoiler is there.
I don't want to think about how hot it would run without the spoiler.

Good luck!!!!

I am running a stock thermostat and havent seen 200 at all.. I replaced my non Vette rad to an OEM one, when the water pump was replaced (with an OEM one, the original was weeping through 1 hole), and it's been fine ever since.. ;)

:w

The biggest secret I have found to keeping most ANY C3 running cooler at highway speeds is MAKING SURE the radiator is sealed to the radiator support so ANY air is drawn thru the radiator core and not around the side tanks.

I just wanted to add that I changed to a 180 degree stat. The car did run a little cooler but I noticed that when I drove with my real time diagnostic scanner connected, the computer was fluctuating between closed loop and open loop mode. It seemed to be on the borderline. I changed back to a 195 degree fail safe thermostat and the computer now stays at a steady state.

Gorgeous Vette, by the way. Are those the chrome wheels you can buy from the catalogs? They look great! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom