Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What The Mfg's Don't Tell You Before The Sale...And After...Oh Yeah You Need That..!!

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
Syco Babble..!!!

So I Bought the Holley Electric Fuel Pump With the Nifty Difty Pressure Regulator. After out finding out that I couldn't mount it sideways do to the possiblity of it blowing up from a fuel leak into the motor section, I went searching for another pump.

So I ended up speaking with Aeromotive Fuel systems. Sopoke with there tech support and found an entry level inline pump. Mark there tech then told me I have to add a filter between the tank and pump. He explained that I needed a 100 Micron filter ..And was adament that it not be any smaller Then 100 Micron. Such as the one you would use in front of the carb (10 Micron).

He explained that the smaller would cut down the flow at demand and cause the pump to Cavitate...this intern would airate the incoming fuel and cause the pump to overheat and burn out faster not to mention hurting he performance.

After desiding not to by his pump because of price and also that I now needed to add a fuel return line do to the nature of the pump design. This thing is getting way out of hand. It's like the 5 Million Dollar Fuel Pump From hell..!!!!

So I went back to the holley idea. I called Holley and asked them if I needed to use a 100 Micron filter or could I get away with a less expensive filetr ..like a 10 Micon.that has NPT in and outs. They Said that they Recomen using a 100 Micron filter in front of there pump..!! That's Per Tech Support At Holley..!!

The Aeromotive filter is $91.00 plus it uses AN-10 fittings. The Holley Pump uses 3/8" NPT in and out...!!! I need to use Hose Barb Connections to make this thing work easy. No one makes any adapters that easily changes or adapts this filter. Also try and find a 100 micron Filter out there. So far the only one I found in a tubuar shape is the Aeromotive.

Holley doesn't mention anything about this 100 Micron BS in there instruction sheet.

Has anyone out their addressed this issue with there electric pump??

:mad

Take It Away BoB

what are you pumping for carb or EFI ?
I have used a orange fram canister between tank and pump on several occasions for a carb setup.(low pressure)

I chose a Mr. Gasket #6162G Billet inline filter.

Mr. Gasket’s Billet Fuel Filters are made from the highest quality materials available. Machined from T6061-T6 billet aluminum alloy, this fuel filter incorporates a 304 stainless steel pleated filter disc rated at 10 microns and flows over 15 gpm or 800 gph. This fuel filter can be used on low pressure carburetor or high pressure fuel injection applications. Available in barbed or AN fitting ends.

Part #6162G : Billet Fuel Filter -6 AN Ends

I knew nothing about the 100 microns claim. Silly me....I figured since Mr. Gasket is owned by Holley, and since it flows over 15 gpm, that it should easily feed the Holley 850 and there should be nothing to worry about. ;shrug

fuelpump+filter-03-500.jpg

bossvette said:
what are you pumping for carb or EFI ?
I have used a orange fram canister between tank and pump on several occasions for a carb setup.(low pressure)

Feeding a Holley 850 CFM Duble Pumper...Requiring 6-9 PSI...

Got me a lead on anoter way to go...

67HEAVEN said:
I chose a Mr. Gasket #6162G Billet inline filter.

I knew nothing about the 100 microns claim. Silly me....I figured since Mr. Gasket is owned by Holley, and since it flows over 15 gpm, that it should easily feed the Holley 850 and there should be nothing to worry about. ;shrug
:ugh
fuelpump+filter-03-500.jpg

My Friend Bill did Some resarch In The GMPP Catalog.. He Came up with This
In-line electric fuel pump for carbureted engines # 6472657, 30-40 gph at 6-9 psi.
Retail is $95. This is an Inline pump that sits in the frame rails.

I'm gonna resarch this and see what I can find out.

I'v spent more time on this part of the conversion then anything else so far....What a PITA.
:ugh

VNV,

The 100 micron filter is simply to make the pump live. It is meant to strain out the size of particles that can cause severe scoring and cause accelerated wear on the pump. The only downside to the 10 micron filter is that it will clog faster and cause a large pressure drop which could cause pump cavitation. I am sure that if you put a large 10 microm filter on the inlet and change it regularly, you would not have a problem. A 100 micron filter is nothing but a fine mesh screen!
These types of pumps can take very large restrictions on the discharge side, but do not like suction side restrictions. I would guess that any particles smaller than 100 microns would pass through the pump with causing any problems. I would also guess that a pump returned for warranty with severe scoring would probably be rejected for lack of filter being installed. All the factory in-tank pumps have such a strainer attached to the pickup. 100 micron is about the diameter of a average grain of sand, and such particles can do pretty bad damage to such a precision pump.

Regards, John McGraw

Hope this helps, our Hydraulic systems pump 10 gpm @ 3,000 p.s.i. and use a 10 micron filter.Extrapolating this means a 100 micron filter should flow 1 gpm(of hydraulic fluid), gas should flow just fine.......but go with the pump that has the fittings you need.I think you'll be OK.

John Mcgraw said:
VNV,

The 100 micron filter is simply to make the pump live. It is meant to strain out the size of particles that can cause severe scoring and cause accelerated wear on the pump. The only downside to the 10 micron filter is that it will clog faster and cause a large pressure drop which could cause pump cavitation. I am sure that if you put a large 10 microm filter on the inlet and change it regularly, you would not have a problem. A 100 micron filter is nothing but a fine mesh screen!
These types of pumps can take very large restrictions on the discharge side, but do not like suction side restrictions. I would guess that any particles smaller than 100 microns would pass through the pump with causing any problems. I would also guess that a pump returned for warranty with severe scoring would probably be rejected for lack of filter being installed. All the factory in-tank pumps have such a strainer attached to the pickup. 100 micron is about the diameter of a average grain of sand, and such particles can do pretty bad damage to such a precision pump.

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John...Good info their...:beer

Greg@NASA said:
Hope this helps, our Hydraulic systems pump 10 gpm @ 3,000 p.s.i. and use a 10 micron filter.Extrapolating this means a 100 micron filter should flow 1 gpm(of hydraulic fluid), gas should flow just fine.......but go with the pump that has the fittings you need.I think you'll be OK.

Thanks Greg...finding a 100 micron filter is very hard.Only found one so far (Aeromotive). I called Holley again today
and spoke with another tech. He told me 45 micron was ok and to contact Earl's which Holley owns.

So who knows WTF is going on with that company..:confused

I'm using a $40 Purolator from Advanced Auto. I put an inexpensive NAPA all steel 3/8inch inline filter AFTER the pump, rather than have one in a rubber hose connection in the engine bay. In use for 6-7 years now, no problems. The pump is mounted at the tank on a trans (motor mount) to quell noise. No filter between the pump and tank. Ethanol gas in use whenever I can get it. When I asked about that, I found most vendors do not support the use of ethanol enhanced fuels. Purolator did.

I am using the same $40. purolator pump as Magicv8 but I have a Fram inline filter in front of it ( on the tank side ) and another Fram inline in front of the carb. Total set up $50. Been using that setup for years - no problems as of date. Steve

Maybe you could adapt the screen or sock from a stock in tank setup to your existing pick-up they are fairly cheap and are nothing more then a screen "sock" .

bossvette said:
Maybe you could adapt the screen or sock from a stock in tank setup to your existing pick-up they are fairly cheap and are nothing more then a screen "sock" .

Very good idea.... Thanks..:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom