Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WHAT TO AVOID - mid to late 80s

dash

my experience is that the dash is the biggest single nasty item. When mine went south it was really expensive to fix.

When I got serious about getting a Vette, I spent a great deal of time reading and studying every thing on the C4 Vettes I could. By the time I went to buy one I knew what I wanted and what to look out for. So the day I bought my ride I was going to spend up to $12000 and had 14 different Vettes to look over in two states. The first 7 were on dealers lots and were way over priced junk. The next 6 private owned and were not much better. All that I had looked at were in nice shape from a distance but all had lots of little details that would cost a lot of $$$$ to get back to something worth having your money in. I still had one more to look at and it ended up being the hardest to find and the best deal. It was an 89 coupe and it did have a couple of problems but they were very miner. I bought that Vette and I have had a lot of fun with it sense. It cost me $6500. Tell him to take the time and KNOW what to look for, before he puts good money down on some bubafied ride.STUDY

father & son

interiortempest-02-1.jpg
Good luck, All used autos are buyer be were!!! Know about the auto, or get someone who does. Never buy on impulse. Ofcourse you will always love your corvette!!

Buddy of mine is shopping hot n heavy for his first Vette.
He keeps sending me these 84-89 models that tend to have a few things replaced/rebuilt but still need some TLC.
Typically have 120k miles and are in the price range of 4-8k.

What does he need to avoid?
What options should be look for or shy away from?

Thanks
Rain

Rain, aside from the usual advice- such as road test the car, look under the vehicle at the suspension and all fluid seals, trace wire under the hood looking for "bubas", look over the engine for other signs of poor quality repairs- I'd agree with most folks... the dash is a source of great pain.

Ask about the dash. Check to see that it operates properly. Start saving up for a repair if it hasn't been repaired before.

Lots of folks defend their crossfire TBIs, and I have no problems with CFI provided it has been maintained. For your friend- if he has limited experience with Vettes and doesn't intend to mod the car- I'd pick a well maintained CFI car over an abused TPI car.

4+3 is a neat transmission- just as long as it is properly maintained. Make sure y'all look over the maintenance records. 4+3 is costly to repair if not maintained properly- maybe more so than the 700R4. If you get a 6speed car, you may be better off if a manual tranny is a requirement.

Again- I'd stay away from cars that are abused. Cars that are neglected aren't bad... just as long as the prospective owner knows exactly what needs to be addresed and is comfortable with making the repairs to bring it up to par.

Happy hunting!

He bought a 90 -
Flys out in the morning to drive it back from jacksonville, FL -
Keep ya posted
Rain

Oil Dipstick Length

Can anyong tell me how long the oil dipstick is supposed to be for a 1984 Vette?
I suspect the one in my car is too short and need to verify. This will solve one of my mysteries. This really is a nice car and hopefully I'll have her going for next years Cruising the Coast.

Can anyong tell me how long the oil dipstick is supposed to be for a 1984 Vette?
I suspect the one in my car is too short and need to verify. This will solve one of my mysteries. This really is a nice car and hopefully I'll have her going for next years Cruising the Coast.

Craig,

you would likely do better starting a new thread with this post in the C4 section instead of tacking it onto the end of an unrelated thread.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I think your question would get more exposure and snag more replies that way.

Just a suggestion. ;)

:wJane Ann

interiortempest-02-1.jpg
Good luck, All used autos are buyer be were!!! Know about the auto, or get someone who does. Never buy on impulse. Ofcourse you will always love your corvette!!

I wish all C4's were as clean as this '84! It would make the buying experience more pleasurable.:)

Buddy of mine is shopping hot n heavy for his first Vette.
He keeps sending me these 84-89 models that tend to have a few things replaced/rebuilt but still need some TLC.
Typically have 120k miles and are in the price range of 4-8k.

What does he need to avoid?
What options should be look for or shy away from?

Thanks
Rain

Be careful with the 84 with the 4+3 transmission. A lot of them went do to a poor design in the Overdrive unit. I have been told others lasted for 100,000 miles. I have a 84 4+3 and the OD is going bad, so I am replacing it with an 88 OD.

Other than that mine runs great.

Best of luck.

Hugh :beer

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Now that's looking good.

father&son

I wish all C4's were as clean as this '84! It would make the buying experience more pleasurable.:)
Thanks for your fine comment about our 84. You are right, i was lucky to find a two owner vette, whos previous owners were very,very good at up keeping their investment. I just can't see why owners, even if they push um hard, don't maintain the fine autos they are.
vette-18.jpg

Almost every 1990 I heard about had the "service airbag soon" light illuminated. This is a very common problem on the 1990 model. Most of the time the impact sensors on the frame rails need to be re-grounded. Some owners just removed the bulb that illuminated the problem. If this warning light doesn't show up when you start the car, I would suspect someone removed the bulb instead of fixing the sensor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom