Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to do with $3000?

S

Skant

Alright... my tax return was surprising this year. I'm getting $3000 refunded! And I plan to put it straight into the 'vette (a stock 1996 LT4 CE)

I've studied these forums quite a lot, and I've got some ideas on the best ways to utilize this money. But I'd like to ask what you guys think.

First off, the thing that alters my plans a bit is that I noticed this morning that there is a nail in my left rear tire (!!) and a cut on the outside corner. Wheel Works reports that the tire is not repairable and will have to be replaced. I have been planning to eventually upgrade to Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. The car currently has Goodyear HP Ultra Plus tires on it that are about a year old (came from the dealer this way).

So the first decision is... do I replace just the rear tires or all four? The fronts are still good. But I kinda wonder about having fresh meats of a higher quality on the rear and older economy tires on the front. I guess that would tend to produce understeer which is maybe not sooo bad. I understand vettes tend to wear out the rears at twice the rate of the fronts anyway, so I just aughta get used to having newer rears than fronts half the time anyway.

If I did replace all four, could I sell the half used up fronts? Hmmm.

Next are 'go faster' options. The tires will chew up either about $500 or $1000 depending if I replace all four or just the rears. So that leaves $2500 or $2000 left.

I'm talking to Northstar Automotive Technology about doing the upgrades. Don't have quotes for most of the possibilities yet. But I'm thinking that bolt-ons and gears are the generally more bang for buck items.

I had planned to do 4.10 gears, Corsa exhaust, SLP triple intake, coolant bypass, and lowering the front end. I suspect all that can be done for about $2500. Hmm... or maybe not quite.. probably have to drop something out of that list. My estimate based on my research is that this combo would be good for another 20-25 horses plus a 20% advantage in gearing.

Northstar recommended (without knowing my actual price cap) in this order: Borla Exhaust, Breathless Airbox (not the veriram, but a better type?), larger throttle body, and shorty headers. They claim that this set would 'conservatively' add 35-50hp.

Thoughts? While they didn't seem to especially recommend changing gears, I'm pretty sure that's where the biggest difference will be felt. So I'm pretty sure the 4.10's are item #1.

If the exhaust is second... well, Northstar is a Borla outlet... so of course they recommend Borla. Any thoughts on Corsa versus Borla? I've heard a Borla briefly. Haven't heard a Corsa yet, but I like the idea of what Corsa is supposed to provide. I'm guessing that both systems are the same on horsepower gains, so it's a matter of whether I want subsonic rumble (Borla) or a higher pitched roar (Corsa)?

I imagine either airbox would do well. The breathless one requires cutting the shroud and it feeds from the bottom of the car. Dunno if this really make much advantage over the triple SLP intake. The posts on this forum sound like a tossup between the two.

Larger throttle body and shorty headers... digging through the forums, it sounds uncertain whether these items will actually add any performance over stock. I've seen a lot of claims that the stock LT4 headers are very good and only non-smog legal (I live in California!) long tubes would outperform them. And I've often heard that larger throttle bodies will lose power, not gain... unless internal engine work has been done (ie. stroker, etc). Plus I'm not sure if I want to lose my 'Grand Sport' plaque on the throttlebody.

Okay... so given everything I know now... this is the list I'm leaning towards... in order... I'll probably run out of the $3000 before I reach the last items...

2 Rear Good Year F1 GS-D3 Tires
4.10 Gears
Corsa exhaust (Maaaaybe Borla)
Breathless airbox
coolant bypass
Lower front end 1-2"

Thoughts? Advice? Something I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Skant,

IMO, I think Goodyear tires are overpriced. I'm not saying that they're bad tires, they're excellent tires but for the money you spend, you could get something just as good with the Firestone SZ50's.

As for the exhaust, I think Corsa and Borla are pretty much the same though Borla may be a little more popular. Don't know if that means anything though.

I think the intake is a must.

The gears would be nice but does your driving justify the need to upgrade from 3.45 to 4.10?

gearchange comment

I still have to say that the change of gears from my 2:59s to 3:73s
was unreal (87 Corvette Automatic). For $300 Or $1k installed its worth it
before anything else.

The goodyear F1s are the best Goodyear tire, still expensive though. Not as good in the wet as SZ50 and not as good in the dry as Michelin Pilots but still very good. If money was tight i would pick Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 or the MX.
I would do all 4 if i could afford it and save the old tires for racing or something.

Pick Borla if you like it loud, it does have resonance.
Corsa is better for cruising, no resonance at all so no headaches on the hwy. It still screams when you get on it.

Do the 4.10s.

The Breathless box is a true cold air setup, however the quality of the piece is poor and people tend to have trouble with it fitting correctly.

No need for a larger TB. Save the money for mods later.

Oh how I would love to be able to stick 4.10s in my LT4. If you decide to do it, please post the result.

damn.....if i had 3,000.00 to blow,the first thing i would do is get a nice facial and full body massage,but seeing we are talking about vets...on my 95,the two biggest noticeable improvements i had done was a gear change and a full performance exhaust from the front to the back,which included headers and borla stainless exhaust,which should fall in your 3,000.00 budget...of course you could talk cam and heads etc...but thats out of the range you are looking to spend....with the exhaust i also had a custom chip burnt and the adjustable fuel pressure reg...these went hand in hand with the less restrictive exhaust system......these things greatly improved my track times,more than any other mods i had done..........but,i went with 3.73 vs 4.10...i was told by lingenfelters that the 4.10 was a bit much with the stock motor,unless i made cylinder head,camshaft and fuel flow changes in order to take advantage of the higher rpms the 4.10 would cause the motor to turn....they said,that gear causes the stock motor to run beyond the rpm that peak torque and horsepower can be best utilized...another words...you will be snapping your neck off at 30-40 mph with good acceleration...but once you get up 55mph and beyond,you get past the stock engines power curve and that little honda you are racing is gonna buzz rite past ya!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm scheduled to have these mods done on Wednesday. Hopefully everything will go well. After a lot of discussion with the shop plus all the info from these forums... what I've decided on is:

Repair left rear tire
4.10 Gears (Tom's. Should be quiet) plus rear end rebuild as long as it's open already
Borla Exhaust
Breathless airbox
Lower front end 1"

Northstar looked at the puctured tire and said I could just have them repair it. They sell and mount tires, too. And would love to sell me an expensive set. But they didn't think that was necessary. They felt that Wheel Works was fishing for business by refusing to repair a repairable tire with a lot of life left in it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom