Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to look for with oil pan off.

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
I'm getting small oil leaks around the oil pan, so I think I'll replace the pan gasket with a fel-pro at the next oil change.

As long as the pan is off, is there any other maintenance I should do or anything i should inspect for wear?

Thanks!

if your changing the gasket and if you have a ball-pien hammer i would hit each bolt hole on the pan with the ball so the holes are slightly curved. It makes it so when you tighten the pan back up you have a solid seal, sometimes people make the mistake of overtightining and it can prevent the pan from making a flush seal. If someone has a pic of this or maybe can take a pic of this it would be extremly helpfull. remember to hit the top of the pan, not the bottom where its exposed to the road. Hope this helps!

Whoa, whoa....peening the pan bolt holes is a good idea but that's not the way to do it.

First inspect the area surrounding each bolt hold. If the circumferences of the holes are bent upward...towards the engine, you need to peen them flat. You need two ball peen hammers. Place the ball in each hole, then tap once or twice on the face of the first hammer with the face of the second.

Fel-Pro now makes a one-piece pan gasket for the Gen 1 SB. It's in their performance gasket line.

As for what to look for that depends on the mileage on the motor. But in general, inspect the bottom of the pan. If you see a lot of small metal fragments, expect trouble and consider an overhaul. If you see a lot of browinsh/black scummy stuff, consider changing your oil more often. If you've got a lot of miles on the engine, pull a rod bearing or two and take a look. If you find a lot of wear or any damage, I'd overhaul the engine. Roll the engine over by hand such that any piston is at TDC and, using a bright flashlight, take a look at the condition of the bores just below the bottom of the piston skirt. If you see a lot of wear or any significant grooves, consider an overhaul.

If your even contemplating on removing the pickup tube just to clean it, you might as well remove the entire oil pump and tube and replace! This is one of the smartest things I've done. Since you'll have the idler arm down you might as well look at it along with the rest. TQ Converter cover, rear main seal and timing chain cover.

Whoa, whoa....peening the pan bolt holes is a good idea but that's not the way to do it.

First inspect the area surrounding each bolt hold. If the circumferences of the holes are bent upward...towards the engine, you need to peen them flat. You need two ball peen hammers. Place the ball in each hole, then tap once or twice on the face of the first hammer with the face of the second.

Fel-Pro now makes a one-piece pan gasket for the Gen 1 SB. It's in their performance gasket line.

As for what to look for that depends on the mileage on the motor. But in general, inspect the bottom of the pan. If you see a lot of small metal fragments, expect trouble and consider an overhaul. If you see a lot of browinsh/black scummy stuff, consider changing your oil more often. If you've got a lot of miles on the engine, pull a rod bearing or two and take a look. If you find a lot of wear or any damage, I'd overhaul the engine. Roll the engine over by hand such that any piston is at TDC and, using a bright flashlight, take a look at the condition of the bores just below the bottom of the piston skirt. If you see a lot of wear or any significant grooves, consider an overhaul.

srry your right, i forgot to go into detail about the process. Good thing your always wathcin :thumb

Pull one rod cap off and one main bearing cap off. The ones closes to the front of the engine, as they are the furthest away from the oil pump. This will give you an good indication as to the condition of the rest.

I wouldn't get too wild about taking anything apart unless you're having oil pressure problems. take a good look in the oil pan for any metal, look at the pickup screen for the same thing.
The post that Hib made pretty well covers it. Unless you're going to change bearings, IMHO pulling a bearing cap just to look is inviting problems. I've pulled quite a few apart for a rebuild and the bearing shell stuck to the crank. Indicates to me the crush on the bearing was slightly off. It'd be a biotch to pull one on a healthy engine and have that happen. Then you'd get to wonder if it was just bad luck or really a problem. And the only way to prove it either way would be rip it out and tear it down to measure it all.

Quite likely you don't need a "performance" oil pan gasket.

FP also has 'replacement type' 1-pc rubber oil pan gasket.

Felpro p/n OS34510T is correct for 75 thru 85 sbc ... and it's a ONE-piece rubber gasket that also includes full set of new bolts & washers and the little plastic starter stubs to hold the gasket in place when working beneath car. This set works great & often in stock at local parts house. Always key is very clean & very straight surfaces ... be meticulous & it'll pay big dividends.

I wouldn't get too wild about taking anything apart unless you're having oil pressure problems.quote]
I doubled my oil pressure after replacing the pump and pickup. 79 vette with only 63K miles. No indications of any real problems. IMHO, it was a wonderful idea to address the pump and pickup while the pan was down since it is a P.I.T.A. not to mention "peace of mind".

Alotta old sbc have OE "silent" timing chain set (read plastic-jacketed cam gear).

That old plastic will likely be in some stage of disintegration. It begins w/ fractures & some small bits breaking off; often stuck to pickup screen. They will eventually fail; shucking most all of plastic off & into pan. AFAIK, bits' color ranges from dark cream to brown-yellow.

While you have pan off ... I definately agree w/ taking a close look at oil pump gears, their gear cavity & screen.

If you have old OE timing set and you have pan off ... it might also be the right time to remove timing cover to inspect/replace timing set ... with cover off, it'll also be LOTS easier to clean&straighten that pan gasket groove in timing cover.

I wouldn't get too wild about taking anything apart unless you're having oil pressure problems.quote]
I doubled my oil pressure after replacing the pump and pickup. 79 vette with only 63K miles. No indications of any real problems. IMHO, it was a wonderful idea to address the pump and pickup while the pan was down since it is a P.I.T.A. not to mention "peace of mind".

replacement of the pump and pickup is way different than pulling a rod and/or main cap other than the rear main to replace the seal. I didn't really make myself clear on that- sorry. I meant if you're NOT having oil pressure problems IMHO it's not a real good idea to pull rod and main caps.

replacement of the pump and pickup is way different than pulling a rod and/or main cap other than the rear main to replace the seal. I didn't really make myself clear on that- sorry. I meant if you're NOT having oil pressure problems IMHO it's not a real good idea to pull rod and main caps.
No Problem, Tim. We have not heard back from minifidge yet so I wonder where he is at with this???

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom