Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what to put on sticking t-top weatherstripping

tonyponykay

Corvette
1980 maroon, 1987 vert yellow/black "bumblebee"
rain rain rain and heat now my new t-tops are sticking to the body of the car when i try to remove them. Matter of fact, removing drivers side left a small residue of weatherstripping on the metal that I will have to clean off.

I know there is something people are putting on their weatherstripping, and I know it shouldn't contain silicone because silicon eats the rubber after a time, so I am wondering what exactly is the best product to use to keep my t-tops weatherstripping from sticking to the car?

thanks for all the help here, great site:w
tk

I've used silicone spray. I spray it on and wipe it down with a cloth. I've used it on all the new weather strips especially the side window vertical strips and T-Tops.

Gordon Killebrew told me to put di-electric grease on them; a film coat. Di-electirc grease will not harm the weatherstripping. Also works on door mains.

:)

Gordon Killebrew told me to put di-electric grease on them; a film coat. Di-electirc grease will not harm the weatherstripping. Also works on door mains.

:)
:upthumbs:upthumbs
I use this every winter b4 it gets put away as well!!!!!:thumb:thumb

Good ole vaseline works just fine. its petrolium based just like the rubber is.

DuPont "Krytox" lubricant - made specifically for rubber weatherstrips; won't damage the rubber or paint. Not cheap, but very effective. :)

If your weatherstripping is to the point where it's sticking to other parts and/or flaking, it sounds like they are about due to be replaced.

As others have said, a light film of silicone should do work. Just enough to see that it's on there. Ya don't need gobs of it; just a residual coating.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom