Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what wax are you using

Mark, I don't know of any local distributors... I buy mine direct from the website.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I find what I want in their product lineup, then order by phone.

This is the kit I bought initially. I replace individual products when I run out.

Zaino Kit

:wJane Ann
Thanks for the link Jane-Ann. Even though I spent my fourth of July waxing my baby, I will order the Zaino Kit this week. I have never heard about clay barring until I joined CAC. It looks like a pain in the !@#, humor me please and say it's a labor of love:L. Thanks. mark

Thanks for the link Jane-Ann. Even though I spent my fourth of July waxing my baby, I will order the Zaino Kit this week. I have never heard about clay barring until I joined CAC. It looks like a pain in the !@#, humor me please and say it's a labor of love:L. Thanks. mark

yea same here, i ordered the total protection show car kit along with some other goodies today... coudnt resist.... i gotta try everything

yea same here, i ordered the total protection show car kit along with some other goodies today... coudnt resist.... i gotta try everything

Claybarring sounds more labor intensive than it really is... and the results are nothing short of amazing!

First, I wash my Vette with Dawn dishwashing soap, rinse, then dry it with "the Absorber" (available at Walmart, AutoZone, etc.).

Next, I mix a capfull of good carwash soap and 16 to 20 ounces of water in a spray bottle. Experiment, you may like 2 caps of soap... the important thing here is lubrication... the spray is used to create a slippery surface for the claybar to slide over.

Next, break off a piece of claybar... I use a piece approximately the same size as a pack of chewing gum. The stuff will be about the consistency of Silly Putty.

Working in small sections, spray the surface with the lubricant, then rub the claybar back and forth over the surface. Always keep the area wet.

Turn and rework the piece as you go because it will soon get flattened out from rubbing with it. Run your hand over the section you just cleaned and you'll feel the difference in the surface immediately - smooth as glass!

And if you drop it - throw it away and pull off a new piece - the same claybar that picks up surface contaminants will pick up grit and dirt if dropped on the ground!

I can usually claybar my Vette in 20 minutes or less. And you'll be amazed at the amount of grime you'll see on the clay coming off of your freshley washed Vette!

After you've done the whole car, rewash it with a "good" soap and dry. Then you're ready to start application of the polish.

I claybar at least once per year but of course you can do it more often as you like.

As a side note... I like the Zaino because I've never been happy with "wax" here in the Deep South. Our weather is just too hot and humid for wax to last more than a few days at best. With the Zaino, dust and dirt just don't stick to the finish like they do with wax. And even when I can tell she's dirty, she still has a deep shine which holds up.

Anyway... sorry for the ramble but good luck with your Vettes! Post photos when you finish so we can brag on them some. ;)

Claybarring sounds more labor intensive than it really is... and the results are nothing short of amazing!

First, I wash my Vette with Dawn dishwashing soap, rinse, then dry it with "the Absorber" (available at Walmart, AutoZone, etc.).

Next, I mix a capfull of good carwash soap and 16 to 20 ounces of water in a spray bottle. Experiment, you may like 2 caps of soap... the important thing here is lubrication... the spray is used to create a slippery surface for the claybar to slide over.

Next, break off a piece of claybar... I use a piece approximately the same size as a pack of chewing gum. The stuff will be about the consistency of Silly Putty.

Working in small sections, spray the surface with the lubricant, then rub the claybar back and forth over the surface. Always keep the area wet.

Turn and rework the piece as you go because it will soon get flattened out from rubbing with it. Run your hand over the section you just cleaned and you'll feel the difference in the surface immediately - smooth as glass!

And if you drop it - throw it away and pull off a new piece - the same claybar that picks up surface contaminants will pick up grit and dirt if dropped on the ground!

I can usually claybar my Vette in 20 minutes or less. And you'll be amazed at the amount of grime you'll see on the clay coming off of your freshley washed Vette!

After you've done the whole car, rewash it with a "good" soap and dry. Then you're ready to start application of the polish.

I claybar at least once per year but of course you can do it more often as you like.

As a side note... I like the Zaino because I've never been happy with "wax" here in the Deep South. Our weather is just too hot and humid for wax to last more than a few days at best. With the Zaino, dust and dirt just don't stick to the finish like they do with wax. And even when I can tell she's dirty, she still has a deep shine which holds up.

Anyway... sorry for the ramble but good luck with your Vettes! Post photos when you finish so we can brag on them some. ;)

Very good and accurate description, Jane Ann! Great job!! :thumb

Elaine

Thanks for the info Jane Ann. I have always admired the deepness and shine of your vert'. I am not so overwhelmed bout clay barring now, and actually looking foreward to trying it. Thanks again for your help. mark:w

Thanks Elaine. I consider that praise from the Master. ;worship

Mark, thanks for the kind words about my Cinnamon Girl. Post up new photos afterward.... your Vette will look so awesome, you're going to want to take a whole bunch of new ones. :_rock

:w

I use mostly Mothers myself.

I'm not a fan of claybaring, just don't like to do that much work!:L

But I will wash it with Mothers and then use their FX wax. Work it in with the orbital and then off with the orbital. Windows get the Mothers window cleaner treatment.

I use Wesley's for the tires/wheels and then Meguiars for the wheel dressing.

I have used Collinite Insulator wax for years.
It is really good for long term protection, but it comes off really hard after applying it.
Then a few years ago at Carlisle, a guy comes along with some sample bottles of Formula 113 and offers to try it on my 82 Vette. Turns out he owns and manufactures this stuff himself, and so I let him show me his stuff.
I couldn't believe how much better the finish looked after just a wipe-on, wipe-off application.
So I bought some and started experimenting.
I found that 2/3's Collinite and 1/3 Formula 113 made a great mixture that enables the qualities of both waxes, so I have been using it ever since.
My .02

C-Magic / Liquid Glass

I've recently switched to C-Magic products and I'm pretty pleased - so far. Hib did a product review on C-Magic and a link to it is posted on the CAC home page. C-Magic is what the NCM uses when prepping cars for Museum delivery.

I've used Liquid Glass for almost 20 years before buying C-Magic stuff. I told the main man at C-Magic that I'd give it a year and then let him know. I've got 10 more months to go.

Btw, I still use Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner (Z9 and Z10) for the seats, steering wheel, shift knob, etc.

xmas cometh early... my zaino box just showed up and it just so happens to be a beautiful day out so guess what im doin:D

let you know how it looks

xmas cometh early... my zaino box just showed up and it just so happens to be a beautiful day out so guess what im doin:D

let you know how it looks

Have fun! :thumb

Have fun! :thumb

clay bared 2 cars and put 3 coats on each (woulda took pics but it got to dark) they do look awesome i must say but my arms feel like rubber!

another thing i found interesting was i followed all the directions and i gotta say the wax i have been using ( Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0) on the vette sttod up fantastic to the dawn dish soap that they said would strip the old wax off.... whatever i had on the mustang was all gone but after washing the vette twice with a heavy mixture of dawn dish soap the water still beaded up very nicely and looked great after being dried!

so far tho i gotta say :thumb to the zaino

got some pics of the vette after the zaino was applied
it always looks great when polished
000_1054.jpg

000_1055.jpg

000_1051.jpg

000_1057.jpg

I use Adam's for everything except glass. I tried their glass cleaner once and it came out kind of streaky, maybe I didn't apply it right. I use Stoner's Invisible Glass instead, and I've found myself trying to roll up the windows when they're already up!

Adam's Detail Spray+Clay Bar, Buttery Wax, then Brilliant Spray Glaze
Picture%201664.jpg

Back glass after applying Stoner's
Picture%201665.jpg

I love the Zaino result. I have been using Rejex because of Love bugs and it looks just as good and the road dross and bugs just "rinse" off. Check it out. Apply to the car, dries in mins and comes off easier than any thing I ever have tried. No White dusting or edge buildup. www.Rejex.com

It is a hobby of mine trying different car care products and I have tried them all and have found Zaino to be the best for me. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom