Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

what wheels will fit

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
I have all these wheels at home but none fit on the 1981 i just got a few weeks ago. The only wheels that fit on these cars are the original wheels. Seems as if the calipers on these cars are so wide that no wheel fits, i have 2 types of american racing wheels, Tourque thrust D and a few others, also a bunch of other stock GM style wheels. none fit!! What type of wheels will fit? Do you have any info on ordering wheels? do i have to buy spacers and add longer studs, or are there a select few wheels that you may know of that fit?

thanx, dan

I looked at getting new wheels a while ago however, I also had problems. I wanted the American Racing either Neptune or Nitro. But even though they say they fit '68 to '82, I have been told they won't, as the calipers on the late model C3's are bigger. If I wanted those wheels I had to get them in 16" and I didn't want that. Therefore I am still looking for a set of wheels that I like.
Good luck.
George.

I believe that you’re going to need a rim with at least a 3.5” back spacing with a maximum back spacing of 4”. You start running into problems when you get that deep with rims wider than 8.5”. One of the problems the tire will hit the brake cable mounting bracket that is welded to the trailing arm. There are spacers out there that bolt directly onto the existing hubs and the studs are just offset the originals. Depending how wide of rim and tire your choose this makes the tire set out away from the body. Some people like that look, personally I don’t care for it.
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapters_s/25.htm
Brian

Here's my 81 with Torq Thrust II's They are 15 x8, with a 4" backspace and they fit with no problem. These are the C405 series wheel. Chrome center with a high polished outer rim. They get lots of compliments!!

IMGP0266.jpg

IMGP0265.jpg

I have lowered the rear since these pics were taken.

Hey Zal, that looks really good. what size tires do you have? I have a new set of bf goodrich (235 60 r 15) they look like they will be to small, and might look goofy. I think the tires i took off my car were (255 60 r 15)

Hey Zal, that looks really good. what size tires do you have? I have a new set of bf goodrich (235 60 r 15) they look like they will be to small, and might look goofy. I think the tires i took off my car were (255 60 r 15)

The tires are BF Goodrich 255 60 15.

Hi

as the calipers on the late model C3's are bigger. I

As far as I know, all C3s have the same calipers, except for the L88 which had the same size caliper, but with 2 pad mounting pins . But again, the overall size was exactly the same.

Günther

here's the specs on c-3 rims...15x8", 3.75 backspace. .75" neg offset, 5 bolt on a 5.475" bolt circle.

here's the specs on c-3 rims...15x8", 3.75 backspace. .75" neg offset, 5 bolt on a 5.475" bolt circle.

This doesn't apply to all C3's. On my 81 the specs are as follows:

Wheel--15x8
Offset--neg. 12.7 mm
Backspace--4"

The wheel and offset specs are straight off of my GM spec sheets and the Backspace is what I personally measured myself and doubled checked by the local wheel and tire store that I bought my TT II's from. Be careful and check your own car for the correct measurements before buying after-market wheels/tires.

What I have found so far after trying multiple wheels..... (A friend of mine has quite a selection of wheels in his garage) the backspacing really isn't an issue yet. If the backspacing is wrong you may not be able to turn the wheel far enough, it may rub on the wells or fenders. The problem is with getting the wheel to bolt onto the spindle. All the wheels we have tried are GM wheels and the bolt pattern is the same. What is happening is... for example, the Tourque Thrust D wheels which i am sure everyone is familiar with, the mags or spokes in the wheel rub against the caliper which will not allow the wheel to bolt squarly to the spindle, Now because the mags are far apart you can turn the wheel so the mags do not hit the caliper and you can bolt the wheel to the spindle, but of course the wheel will not rotate once the mag comes in contact with the caliper. So what is happening is the wheel needs to be designed so that the back part of the wheel (part where the bolt holes are) needs to be more rear-ward than the face of the wheel. If you look at the stock wheels, the face of the wheel is not flat or perpendicular to the rim itself, it needs to be on an angle so the face part of the wheel can clear the caliper. Which is why i used the torque thrust D as an example. because the mags and bolt holes are at a 90 deg angle to the rim. these kinds of wheels don't work. hahaha that sounded confusing!! hope you can follow me on this
So without using spacers and long studs, I was trying to find out what other wheels do work. Zal81 has the tourque thrust II wheels and they fit because the mags are bent outward to clear the caliper, you can see this from his pic above.
This is just what i have been able to figure out. does it sound right?

Here's my 81 with Torq Thrust II's They are 15 x8, with a 4" backspace and they fit with no problem. These are the C405 series wheel. Chrome center with a high polished outer rim. They get lots of compliments!!

IMGP0266.jpg

IMGP0265.jpg

I have lowered the rear since these pics were taken.

Looks amazing ZAL, you just helped me make up my mind. I was leaning towards 15x8 Torq Thrust IIs but I wasnt sure. How did you lower the rearend? Ive done all my suspension over, and in the rear I did a new composite monospring with all new mounts and KYB shocks, and the front has new coil springs rated at 460lbs i believe. I tried adjusting the rear spring but it didnt really do much, the back still sits higher. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, 80VetteL82:W

i a have the solution

u could buy my stock alloy rims 5 of them. or do what i did get foose nitrious rims 18 inch 8.5 4.5 inch back space. fit great no rubbing/ cuting off ebrake cable/ or using spacers/ buying new trailing arms. heres a pic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395064

Looks amazing ZAL, you just helped me make up my mind. I was leaning towards 15x8 Torq Thrust IIs but I wasnt sure. How did you lower the rearend? Ive done all my suspension over, and in the rear I did a new composite monospring with all new mounts and KYB shocks, and the front has new coil springs rated at 460lbs i believe. I tried adjusting the rear spring but it didnt really do much, the back still sits higher. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, 80VetteL82:W
All you have to do is install longer spring bolts. These are the ones at each end of the spring. I used 9/16-12 x 8. I got the thru a local machine shop supply store. They were like 8-9 buck apiece with the new nuts. any more questions just shoot me a p.m.
Zane

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom