Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What Would You Do?

R

redvet

The scenario: You currently own a REAL NICE '82 Corvette (probably one of the nicest ones around; red with a black gut, all stock, a real attention getter). Besides your wonderful wife, it is your other pride and joy, and you really enjoy driving, cleaning and tinkering with it. You have said numerous times over the years that you never intend to sell it.

But then, as much as you love it, you're wife's not too crazy about it (rough ride/noisy/A/C not as good as today's cars/generally not what could be considered a comfortable car, especially by today's standards; you know how these cars were/are). Therefore, your wife is not always necessarily enthusiastic about driving or riding in it.

Say an opportunity presents itself that you might be able to obtain a brand new (2006 or 2007) C6 Corvette, or if not that, an almost new C5.

You only have one garage space to house one Corvette. Would you keep the '82, and all of its "nostalgia coolness," and its needed tinkering that you immensely enjoy, or give up that stuff and sell it to provide a garage space for the newer car?

Get the new one.

Or better yet, I've got room in my garage. Just park one there, I won't mind:D And as a last resort tell her you'll do that kitchen remodel, and while doing that extend the garage telling her it had to be done acording to building code!;)

Either way, congrats they are booth great cars.:upthumbs

Paul,

Except for the garage space issue, you told my story. I had 2 NCRS 82's a couple of years ago, one an NCRS 4-Star Bowtie and the other an NCRS Top Flight. The cars were cool, but the wife was not too crazy about riding in them and after several cross-country trips, I was ready to move on.

The short take:
I had my fun with the cars.
It was time for someone else who would enjoy them (and they still do).
We bought a 99 with 10k miles on it from a friend and the wife loves to ride in it.
I've never said, "I wish I still had..."

Been there, had fun, still having fun.

Good Luck whatever you do.

:w
Guy

redvet said:
The scenario: You currently own a REAL NICE '82 Corvette (probably one of the nicest ones around; red with a black gut, all stock, a real attention getter).
You only have one garage space to house one Corvette. Would you keep the '82, and all of its "nostalgia coolness," and its needed tinkering that you immensely enjoy, or give up that stuff and sell it to provide a garage space for the newer car?
I'd only get rid of it for a C6.
Make this deal with your wife... When you have a buyer for the '82 AND enough extra cash to buy the C6 outright, you'll sell the '82 and get a C6.
Until that time, keep on enjoyin' the '82. :D

To my eye, the "minor" exterior differences on the C6 make all the difference in the world when compared to the C5 looks. Never truly cared for the C5 looks... The C6 however...yeah, that's sharp. You won't garner the looks that you get in the '82, and you won't have anything to tinker with anymore, but that could be a good thing maybe? More time driving with the wifey, less time tinkering with the mistress.

"You won't garner the looks that you get in the '82, and you won't have anything to tinker with anymore"

I beg to differ. I get PLENTY of looks, comments (all of them proceeded by "Nice car!") and could use some tinkering on my '98.

Pinky said:
"You won't garner the looks that you get in the '82, and you won't have anything to tinker with anymore"

I beg to differ. I get PLENTY of looks, comments (all of them proceeded by "Nice car!") and could use some tinkering on my '98.
Assuming the condition of each car is the same, stock for stock, the older car just about always gets more attention. Just the way it is when ya put 'em all side by side. That's just not Corvettes, that's any car, unless of course you are comparing a new Mustang to a Mustang II from the late 70's :L

Hi redvet -

I personally would dump the shark as fast as I could and buy the newer c5 or c5.5 gen vette (c6 is not truly a new gen IMO).

Your question by its makeup trys to convince the reader to keep the shark.
What you are asking is should you let your wife decide what enthusiast vehicle you drive.

That one is up to you and her to decide.

Any C4 or later vette will be a much better car than the shark.

Great dilemma to have though - which Corvette will I have to live with :L.

How can you lose?

best regards -

mqqn

Before you sell remember ,Vetts are living breathin' things with feelings. I sold my 69 with almost 300,000 miles and due for it's third restore. Some jurk offered me a lot of money and I sold in a week moment.I regret it to this day and so did the car. Thank God the car ended up with some else last year ,but the car was beat.I see the car a few times a year and it has a good home now. When ever I think about what I did by selling the car I get emotional. Vetts need good homes just like a puppy.

My wife said "lets buy a new toy". I said OK, what are you thinking about? She said "a new vette".

nuf-said...

Keep the 82,build on to the garage and find a nice C5 for the new garage.Have the best of both!!:w Save the wave!:w

By the way - let your wife pick out the C5. She'll never complain about "her" car!

Signed,
It's MY C5!!!!

Guy said:
Paul,

Except for the garage space issue, you told my story. I had 2 NCRS 82's a couple of years ago, one an NCRS 4-Star Bowtie and the other an NCRS Top Flight. The cars were cool, but the wife was not too crazy about riding in them and after several cross-country trips, I was ready to move on.

The short take:
I had my fun with the cars.
It was time for someone else who would enjoy them (and they still do).
We bought a 99 with 10k miles on it from a friend and the wife loves to ride in it.
I've never said, "I wish I still had..."

Been there, had fun, still having fun.

Good Luck whatever you do.

:w
Guy

I agree--get a C5 or C6! Your wife will enjoy it and you will look back only once in a while. I've got a C5 and it's been a real joy.

I think You should keep the 82, (as your baby) save for a C5. Even with what vette owners call HIGH MILEAGE 50K on a 2001. Look in the want adds these cars are driven, WHY? cause you can run to the store in them = easy in -out.

I SAY KEEP THE 82, BUY A C5 AND DRIVE IT, BUT MOST OF ALL, ENJOY YOUR RIDE.

I sold my 81 about 3 years ago and bought a C5. I have no real regrets and enjoy driving my 02 everyday. My C3 went to a nice home with a young and enthusiastic Air Force enlistee. I say go for it......:D

The same kind of thing happened to me as well. I had a really nice 84 that won lots of trophies and got lot of attention. But my woman hated riding in it because it rattled her teeth. I sold it and bought a nice riding 2003 but I do miss the 84 whenever there's a show. Other than than that, I am glad I got a newer model with so many more features and more power of course.

Never owned a C4, but I've ridden in several. I totally understand the feelings you have for your pride and joy...I have those same feelings for mine. I have also said many times that I will never sell mine, either. But never is a long time....and if there isa good compelling reason to trade up...I would do it. If there was a way to keep both - that would be the King Solomon solution, of course, but if space is the issue (When isn't it? If it isn't that it's money.) I'd say hasta la vista to your old friend, and find a newer car to treasure.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom