Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! What year transmissions are interchangeable?

fairlesstj

Corvette
1993 ruby coupe
Hello I have a 1993 corvette and have called around and got lots of answers as to whether or not I could use a transmission from another year or even another gm model. Mine is AT.
Corvette places , salvage yards, parts stores all got different answers. I have been told it must come from another 93. I have been told any corvette 84 through 93. One guy even said a 93 firebird has same tranny. Can someone please shed some light on the subject.

Physically the T700 is same as 4L60 and 4L60E and use exactly the same internal parts; there are no HD parts for cars like Vettes

T700/4L60 ( same trans / different name) has control by a throttle valve cable to TB
The 4l60E is the electronically controlled version found in later cars. ( has no TV cable)

IIRC ; the 4L60E was 1st used in '94 so any non-elec controlled trans will work for you but only a "Vette " trans will have the same calibrations as your stock one

The Vette trans ( of any version ) has a special tailshaft housing to take the C Beam and has a different shift calibration to suit the car .

It is possible to use the trans from a Camaro / Firebird/ truck and just swap over the C4 tail shaft housing if you were on a budget ( some have had to cut 3/4" of the output shaft because Vette tailshaft is shorter

C4ext1.jpg

Physically the T700 is same as 4L60 and 4L60E and use exactly the same internal parts; there are no HD parts for cars like Vettes

T700/4L60 ( same trans / different name) has control by a throttle valve cable to TB
The 4l60E is the electronically controlled version found in later cars. ( has no TV cable)

IIRC ; the 4L60E was 1st used in '94 so any non-elec controlled trans will work for you but only a "Vette " trans will have the same calibrations as your stock one

The Vette trans ( of any version ) has a special tailshaft housing to take the C Beam and has a different shift calibration to suit the car .

It is possible to use the trans from a Camaro / Firebird/ truck and just swap over the C4 tail shaft housing if you were on a budget ( some have had to cut 3/4" of the output shaft because Vette tailshaft is shorter

C4ext1.jpg
So let me get this straight any any earlier c4 transmission will work?
I think thats what you are telling me and also I could modify one from say a firebird? Is that correct?

So let me get this straight any any earlier c4 transmission will work?
I think thats what you are telling me and also I could modify one from say a firebird? Is that correct?
Correct ,so long as your trans has the TV cable.
'88+ trans have upgrades considered desirable
Convertor spline count changed at same time from 27 to 30 so your convertor won't fit pre '87 trans

thanks

Hello I have a 1993 corvette and have called around and got lots of answers as to whether or not I could use a transmission from another year or even another gm model. Mine is AT.
Corvette places , salvage yards, parts stores all got different answers. I have been told it must come from another 93. I have been told any corvette 84 through 93. One guy even said a 93 firebird has same tranny. Can someone please shed some light on the subject.

You are in a tough situation with the retrofit of an earlier year. The valvebody, and seperator plate, and internal wiring harness are unique. Matter of fact, the 5 pin external connector and external wiring are unique as well.
My advice is to locate an 88-93 core, and re-install the valve body, seperator plate and internal harness/switches from you car.
If you use a non-vette core, switch out your governor, servo, and tailhousing after shortening the output shaft 3/4 inch. Also, do not forget to move the speedo drive gear to the correct "B" location.
Shoot me an e-mail if you need help.
vrodpete@msn.com

Thanks pete thats kind of what I expected that it wasn't a straight swap. Depending on how I go with it I might be e-mailing you. I found a shop to do the rebuild out the door $1500 so I may end up just taking it in. Anyway Thanks Pete

C4ext1.jpg

Why not just send it to a place to build it? To change the shaft, you'd have to disassemble the entire trans. Rossler Trans in Girard OH does a very good job and can make it stronger than before

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom