Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's everyone's Winter Projects

White75

Corvette
'75 L48 Auto White, '78 L82 4-spd SA
It's come that time of year where the vettes aren't driven quite as much and the tinkering begins.
Last winter was the interior replacement on our vette. This year the plan is the following:
1. replace body mounts.
2. clean up engine bay including cleaning/repainting engine.
3. installing new-to-me M/T valve covers
4. detail anything that needs it under the hood including repainting if needed
5. repair and/replace any vacuum lines that are dry rotted
6. paint the chassis as much as possible

With the interior done, it has become necessary for the ugly and dirty engine bay to get a freshening and get it to look as presentable as the interior.
It's quite ambitious and with the baby this year will probably not all get done but it's worth a shot :)

So what is everyone else planning on doing during the down time?

I'm picking up an L-88 hood after Christmas. That's about it.

My order is these. Hopefully I can get through the top three at least.

Rebuild the brakes (mostly complete now)
Fix the door latch on driver's side
Fix the odometer that seems to be failing
Replace the incorrect carb on car.
Replace the fuel sending unit
Straighten out the wiring and issues in starter area.
Do some research on local repair shops and corvette clubs

I hope to make it through the list. That would be a decent accomplishment.

:p

My order is these. Hopefully I can get through the top three at least.

Rebuild the brakes (mostly complete now)
Fix the door latch on driver's side
Fix the odometer that seems to be failing
Replace the fuel sending unit
Straighten out the wiring and issues in starter area.
Do some research on local repair shops and corvette clubs

I hope to make it through the list. That would be a decent accomplishment.

:p

Where in Indiana??

Im located in Indianapolis.
jim

trying to get the secondaries to kick in
maybe paint it.
finding all the rattles and fixing them
fixing the tail lights so they stay in place.
clean, clean and clean some more

steve pastorino

Upholstery (seats)and new carpet with sound control under.....

When I have you rwounded
Charlie

My winter projects do not include the corvettes as they are in storage until April or May. Did all I was going to do on them before I put them in the garage under their covers.
Barrett

My project is to flush radiator on my 96, figure out which heating/cooling hoses need to be replaced and replace them. (any input on the hose replacement would be useful) and otherwise put them up until a nice day comes along this winter to get them out and drive.......

I did the complete interior overhaul last winter. This winter (if income tax refund is large enough) new heads and cam, front a arm bushings, trailing arm bushings and rear wheel bearings. I'll be busy thats for sure

C2 Driver Door Rebuild

It's come that time of year where the vettes aren't driven quite as much and the tinkering begins.
Last winter was the interior replacement on our vette. This year the plan is the following:
1. replace body mounts.
2. clean up engine bay including cleaning/repainting engine.
3. installing new-to-me M/T valve covers
4. detail anything that needs it under the hood including repainting if needed
5. repair and/replace any vacuum lines that are dry rotted
6. paint the chassis as much as possible

With the interior done, it has become necessary for the ugly and dirty engine bay to get a freshening and get it to look as presentable as the interior.
It's quite ambitious and with the baby this year will probably not all get done but it's worth a shot :)

So what is everyone else planning on doing during the down time?

Last winter I stripped all the moving parts, door panel and vent window assembly from my 1966 Roadster, passenger side. Vent window regulator had failed years before. Was able to find all the pieces down inside the door and with the help of a few bolts and some GI ingenuity, rebuilt it! Replaced all rubber and worn parts. Rechromed the vent frame. Cleaned, polished, painted and re-assembled. Looks and works GREAT! This Winter the driver door gets the same treatment. Will be easier since I don't have the learning curve working against me. If time permits I will also install the stock AM/FM radio I had rebuilt a couple of years ago. Plan on removing the aftermarket USA1 installed back in 1995. Stock unit looks much better. Wish me luck!

hi going to replace my interior on my 79 new seat covers, new carpit install an original radio any helpful hints? Thanks Paul

put a 396 in my other car ( non vette ) been waiting to do it since i got the car in 1979 so am a little slow,, lol

1. Pulling the axle on my 90 ZR-1, upgrade my Dana 44 with 4.10 gears.
2. Replace DM FW with aluminum and new clutch/pressure plate.
3. Replace stock manifold with headers.

Scrrem

-Total rebuild on the 68s 427..
-Getting the wipers working
-Swapping the PO1s for Rallys and trim rings
-I'm sure there will be more

Im going to do the interior. Remove the seats,carpet,maybe a new radio and speakers and anything else that may come up. Any suggestions would be great. I just purchased it in August and it is my first Vette.Its a 1984 with 108,000 miles but runs great.The Dash has its problems. I removed it and replaced the bulbs and cleaned the connectors. it works better but the illumination goes out every once in a while. Not very often any more. All of the guages work fine its just the illumination. How hard is it to replace the seat covers on this year and can I do it myself.

Lots of time to work on it during the NE Ohio winters :ugh :thumb

Not winter car

Moved from southern California to Reno last week. Car hates the cold. Swapping out 185 thermo for stock, and lower radiator hose froze and popped a few days ago. Gotta fix garage door and put it away for awhile.:ugh

I just recently took my baby out of storage after six years. So far, I've done...

1. flushed & changed coolant
  2. changed oil
  3. new air cleaner
  4. four new VB&P calipers
  5. stripped and polished 2 of the rims
  6. rebuilt transmission
  7. new valve cover gaskets
  8. new center caps
On the list:

1. DRIVE THE CAR (winters are mostly nice in Atlanta)
  2. Fix what breaks
  3. Re-wire the radio to the proper circuit- p/o or his installer wired it into the acc circuit.
  4. Fix heater / AC control vacuum leaks
  5. Maybe install new speakers
  6. Kick myself for keeping the car stored for so long

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom