Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats next, sell it?

L

lwhssh

Ruff Idle and hesitation.
I just changed the IAC valve. Befor that the EGR valve was changed. I put in new plugs, correct gap, wires, dist. cap, gas filter, air filter, cleaned throttle body, ran tank fulls of techtronic injecter cleaner. My mechanic told me he found no codes. Whats next??;shrug

Ruff Idle and hesitation.
I just changed the IAC valve. Befor that the EGR valve was changed. I put in new plugs, correct gap, wires, dist. cap, gas filter, air filter, cleaned throttle body, ran tank fulls of techtronic injecter cleaner. My mechanic told me he found no codes. Whats next??;shrug
Have you checked the shaft for the Butterflies in the throttle body?? Sometimes they'll ware and cause a vacuum leak around the shaft,it'll make them idle rough and if it's bad enough it'll hesitate!!! Take the cables off and see if you can get any movement in the shaft.:upthumbs

Well if you sell it now you probably wouldn't get much for it. If you wait 'till its fixed, then... It's most likely something fairly easy conceptually, you just haven't fixed that part yet. :) An awfull lot of my fixes come due to patience, not because of my brainpower. I have to be patient... I can't afford to throw the car away every time a problem crops up I am unfamiliar with.

I agree with the JunkMeister. Probably a vac leak. Start with a manual and find out what it should pull at idle. If its low, you can start pinching off lines while its idling and watch the gage to see if it improves.
good luck

any tech articles on how to comprehensively check for vacuum leaks?

This seems to be an ongoing problem for L98's both in Vette's & F-bodies. I've been battling this same problem in my second car, a 91 T/A for quite a while. I've checked the Corvette and f-body forums and it seems that it's not just one issue that causes this, but a combination of issues.I tried just about all the fixes that I could do (too long to list). I put the diagnosing on hold for the winter cause I don't like working in sub freezing temps. But as soon as the weather breaks for good, I'm gonna jump back in and solve the problem. I've got some new ideas.

This seems to be an ongoing problem for L98's both in Vette's & F-bodies. I've been battling this same problem in my second car, a 91 T/A for quite a while. I've checked the Corvette and f-body forums and it seems that it's not just one issue that causes this, but a combination of issues.I tried just about all the fixes that I could do (too long to list). I put the diagnosing on hold for the winter cause I don't like working in sub freezing temps. But as soon as the weather breaks for good, I'm gonna jump back in and solve the problem. I've got some new ideas.

If you find something else let me know. My car actually runs pretty well except for a slight hesitaton. If I'm sitting at a light I find my head bouncing up & down to the beat of the engine. Sometimes the idle has a surge to it. It's not bad but annoying to the point where I'm choosing not to drive it.

Funny- that's pretty much the same situation I'm in now. I drive it when I need to keep the vette in the garage like this past Friday with the snow & ice and such. But I will let you know if I come up with anything new. :beer

New Fuel Injectors

I had my injectors replaced. After about a year of changinging this and that I finally got it right. it purrs like a kitten. Finally

Thats great news! I didn't pay any attention to the dates on this thread, and was thinking about suggesting some Cheveron techron, and then I read your most recent reply.

Happy Driving!

I had my injectors replaced. After about a year of changinging this and that I finally got it right. it purrs like a kitten. Finally

Injectors huh? How many miles did you have on them? I'd like to get some idea of how far to expect mine to go.
thanks

my issue was injectors also... 108k.... VERY easy to check. pull the wiring clip off one injector at a time, take a digital ohm meter and see what the reading is between the two electrical terminals on the injector. should be VERY close 16 ohms ( somebody correct the ohm reading if i misquoted. i'm going on a feeble memory ) my readings were all over the place.. a call to Jim at TPIS and he sent me a matched set with gaskets and NDA shipping for $425. took me 4 hours to change them and all is well......

I had a vacuum leak in a toyota turbo truck (gas) that caused warm idle problems and missing until the car warmed up fully or was cold. The enriching valve masked the problem when it was cold, and when it was fully hot the hoses must have sealed due to the heat. The way I found out where the problem was by spraying carb cleaner near each hose connection while the engine was idling. If the idle went up, the leak was found. Obviously remember the carb cleaner is highly flammable, so have a fire extinguisher ready and don't spray anywhere where there can be a spark ignitiing it. I spent several thousand dollars replacing the turbo and at mechanics in general to find that a 69 cent part fix the whole thing. You might have a cracked hose too. The crack may be on the bottom of the hose away from view. Good luck - Ron

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom