Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's not to like about the hotcam?

T

trebor

I bought my '96 CE LT4 from a "corvette guy". He also owned a beautiful '67 with side exhausts and now owns a 2007 Z06. So, he likes speed and vettes. But while we were talking going through the negotiating for the '96, he said he owned another '96 LT4 at one time and had the hotcam installed. He said he would never do that again, he did not like it. I did not ask why since I was focusing on purchasing my current car. But thinking back on it, since he obviously liked fast vettes, what is it about the hotcam setup that may be considered negative?

(Thinking about future upgrades)

Thanks,

trebor

Wow, the only negatives I've heard was that it wasn't radical enough from a few people who love a lopey idle. I'd also be very interested in hearing any negatives as I'm planning to install one this winter...

Wow, the only negatives I've heard was that it wasn't radical enough from a few people who love a lopey idle. ...

That would be my only guess.

The Hotcam is LT4 specific and was designed by GM for the the LT4. I have one and can't find any reason not to like it. It is the ideal cam for my setup and keeps the car very streetable yet gives it a nice kick in the a$$...esp. w/ the addition of LT headers. It does give it a noticeable lope at idle but not "radical" like some. If you want to keep the car close to stock, imo it's the ideal cam and the perfect upgrade along w/ LT headers & gears.

I installed LT4 heads, intake and the hot cam on my LT1.. and I love it.. I would like it to be a little more lopey but if I did that it would be less enjoyable for daily driving.. so I think it's the best mix..
-=Rick

I like the hotcam also. A very nice street cam for an LT1/LT4 assuming that you put LT4 heads and such on the LT1. Not to lumpy at idle and a nice boost in power.

You lose some low rpm drivability and your gas mileage takes a hit. It has a bit of cam surge at low rpm. But it sounds great and makes 25 more rwhp on the dyno...what's not to love.:rotfl

You lose some low rpm drivability and your gas mileage takes a hit. It has a bit of cam surge at low rpm. But it sounds great and makes 25 more rwhp on the dyno...what's not to love.:rotfl

With my '92 LT4-tified car, I had a new chip made that raised the idle RPM up to 900 as it would try to die otherwise. Yes, gas mileage took a hit - dropped from 27 to around 24.5. The extra 'go' was worth it.

I'm interested in the hotcam for my LT4. Where do you purchase from? Whats the price for one of them? Are there different brands? I know a few guys with garages/speed shops, so i think labor cost would be minimal.

You get the GM Hot Cam from a GM Performance Parts dealer.

I buy all my GM parts from Tom Henry Racing in Pa. That's part of Tom Henry Chevrolet. Call 877.842.4389

The Hot Cam in an LT4 will work best if 1) the car also has headers and a low restriction exhaust and 2) the ECM gets an aftermarket calibration appropriate for use with that cam.

If you want an even bigger increase, port and polish or Extude Hone the cylinder heads.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom