Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats the Best C4 to Buy?

Sorry to hear she's forced you to purchase a Vette !!!

If you need/want to stay with an automatic.
* 1996 LT1 Collector's Edition - Convertible *

The 1996 C4 Vette's received the most refinements of the C4 Platform since they were the last year produced. This definetely will not be your cheapest C4.

There have been so many great suggestions made already that I probably can't add any more. Having had 3 C4s already, here's a few of my thoughts. The '85 automatic coupe was the first and one we kept for 6-1/2 years -- fast and very little trouble with it, even when we got rid of it with 100K miles, to buy a '74 Stingray convertible, which we still have.

The second one was one I searched for 6 months before purchasing...1988 yellow convertible, "Lemon Peel". Like you and your wife, I had a list of "must haves", and this car filled them all -- yellow, black cloth top, manual transmission, low miles (21K). I kept Lemon for 3 years and just recently sold it to acquire the greatest C4 of them all -- 1996 Grand Sport convertible, "The Diva"!!

As many have already said, the '96 is probably the finest of the C4s because all the quirks have been eliminated, at least I hope so! ;) If only your wife weren't set on an automatic, this is the one for you!! Any chance you can start teaching her how to drive a stick?!

Having had 2 C4 convertibles, I can't stress enough the pluses of having a glass back window!!!! They're so much better than the earlier convertible back windows. Put that on your list!

Of course, price is an important part of your decision making. I'll go along with everyone else by saying...do your research, keep looking for the one in the best condition with lowest miles that fits in your budget. You'll know when it's the right one! Don't get discouraged...there are many, many Corvettes out there!! Good luck...let us know how you make out!

GS Diva aka Elaine

If it were me....

If it were me I would go for a '96 Grand Sport. I love the color/look of the GS and I do feel it would retain/grow in value over the years since only 1000 made. Since you must have an automatic the best car would be the '96 CE. I would just teach the wife how to shift a manual and go for the GS.

Yep I agree. The newest one you can afford. My opnoin is 1995 or 1996 with milage below 30K. Don't expect to find a nice one at a good price. I just purchased a 96 Vert in very good condition for $26K with 26K milage. I looked and looked for this car a nice clean one is really hard to find ( I was suprised). The window sticker was 48K, so when you look at it, its not really that bad a price to pay. The 95 and 96s are tighter cars then model years before it. I drove them all. Do a CarFax before you buy. Even the excellent original shape my car is in I will still have to spend an additional 2K to make it perfect. Expect this going in.

And to repeat what Stan A said a couple of weeks ago: the prices for the 96 CE's and GS's are coming down. Maybe it's just a temporary thing with the economic situation and all, but it's definitely a buyers market!

Owning a GS is really something special and you attract a lot of attention. I was driving with my girlfriend the other day and saw a GS on the expressway, I immediately turned my attention away from her and onto the GS. LOL. After a little explanation that only 1000 were made, it softened things up a little.:L

Oh she knows how to shift, her 1st car was a std. She doesn't wanna. first one we drove was a 95 vert auto white with Very red & black interior with 50k miles for $25k, then a '01 coupe white/ tan interior. Quite a difference in ride & cost.
She really want a easy driver, I would love to have a gs.....
one guy local has a vert painted up as a gs with Z06 wheels (cute). But I want a real thang if I'm gonna get ONE.

Mike

Mike

The 95 or 96 is the years to get, 95 came with the ZR-1 brakes and updated computer,updated auto trans and a very agreeable ride. When I went Vette shopping I never though I would get a white car with an automatic, but I found one 2 miles from my home through autotrader.com, a 95 with 12850 miles.

I consistanly get over 24 mpg, the car turns a 13.4 in the quarter with minor modifications, can go for hours at 80 plus so smoothly my wife doesnt even mind and unless I rap it up it will still be worth somthing a few years down the pike.

What about 1990 and up? The dash changed so it looks like all the ones up to 1996 and for less money. It has one year only wheels and was the last year for the squared off body style. Just my 2 cents, I may be prejudiced since I own one.

Mac

This is I'm sure a problem everyone has, it all started with my very first ride 30years ago. A '62 vert, red with only two mods, chrome reverse wheels and roller rockers he said. He took me on several spins cruisin', you remember to show off your wheels and race alittle. This baby could pull a 2nd gear wheelie and then throw the belt every time.But MAN whatta feelin'. From that to a couple across the street from me with a 1 owner 69. beautiful blue 350 4spd. drop rear glass that was absolutely pure stock(still is with just over 120k now). At 99k they thought they should rebuilt the block for good measures, the crank was still within factory specs. I still have a standing check for ???? $$$ when they want to sell it. I owned 70-1/2 Z28(495HP street legal),95 Z28, 69 shelby but No vette.It's Time.
PS. Sorry for the long post....
Mike :w

Pretty much everything you want is on all C4's. Other than the increased amount of power (as well as styling and bodywork additions) as time went by, the main difference I can think of is that the '84 through '87 or so (I might be off a year) had a special steering ratio with the Z51 package. It was much quicker and made a formidable suspension even more enjoyable.

The '84 spring rates are extremely firm, but some people love that. The next year they softened the rates and changed the bars, and it wasn't bad. As time went by, the cars got progressively softer, although they kept the Z51 designation. All have the same short wheelbase, however, and that influences the ride as much as anything.

The older the car is and the more mileage it has, the more possibility for problems, so I'd probably look for a one-owner with low miles and maintenance documentation as much as a particular model.

What to buy

Then go for the 96. Most all of the grimlins were engineered out by then.

Ken....

Ken , to answer your question I'm leaving in the morning to head out to Monterey. Straight flight to LAX, then American Eagle(gulp!) from LAX up the coast to Monterey Airport. End up what I had planned to do has been shortened to a one week ordeal , so I wont end up being here for the meet afterall. #*@^^ the luck!
No golf, no Laguna Seca, no vette show. Oh well.

Mike

Will someone explain to a Newbie about "the wave" ????:w

Mikebmab said:
Mike

Will someone explain to a Newbie about "the wave" ????:w

"The Wave" is a friendly gesture of brother/sisterhood between Corvette owners. Anytime you see a Corvette, regardless of generation, wave to them. Most drivers will return the wave. It's one of the greatest perks of being a Corvette owner.:D

Airbags / OBD-II

Another difference between the later C4 models is airbags. The 1993 model has only a driver-side airbag. The 1994 and later models have dual airbags.

Also, starting in 96 the vette switched to OBD-II.

I was also in your situation a few years ago. I was looking for a polo green or admiral blue 94-96 coupe (targa) with auto trans. I ended up with a 1996 polo green/beige, dual pwr seats, bronze top, bose gold and climate control. It had 29K miles when I bought it in August of 1999. The guy had to get rid of it (kids in college and new house) so I only had to pay $21,000. Since the purchase I've changed the tires ($1200), brake pads, the serpentine belt and had an oil leak fixed. It now has 41K miles.

I like it much better than my Ford Windstar!!! The Vette gets better gas mileage, too! I saw 28 MPG on my way back from Bowling Green a few weeks back (50th Kickoff).

Jim

BullWinkle said:
Anytime you see a Corvette, regardless of generation, wave to them. ... Most drivers will return the wave.

Unless they're C5 owners :mad . I can count the return waves (other than at Carlisle) on my thumbs. C4's and before (the earlier the model, the better the chance of return) are much better about it. Has the Vette become too mainstream with the C5?

Nice thing about sports cars... many other sporty make owners will acknowledge you as well. I get occasional salutes from Porsche owners (mostly 944's/968's - the 911's are driving too fast :) ).

[RICHR]

BullWinkle said:
Don't people recommend that if you're going for the auto, do an L98 and if you're going for the 6-speed, go for the LT1?

why do you recommend L98 with the auto??? In my 95 vert Z28 it had a LT1 I think....

I'm accumilating a whole punch list of haves / have nots to go shopping with so you got me going on this????

Mike

Mike,

Sorry if I got you confused or anything like that. But there are significantly less L98 6-speeds out there than LT1/4 6-speeds. I believe that pre-88 C4's had the 4+3 tranny. Can't tell you much about them, but quite a few of our members here have the 4+3 and I haven't heard a bad thing about them.

rrubel said:

Has the Vette become too mainstream with the C5?

[RICHR]

Rich, I know that you'll probably catch some flak for that but I'd have to agree with you. That's the big thing that turns me off from C5's, the other thing is that ugly @$$ that we call a rear end.:L

But I wouldn't let those few bad apples ruin it for the good name, history and tradition of the Corvette. The martial arts have been around for hundreds, if not thousands of years, yet there are still rogues out there. But that still doesn't stop people from practicing the arts and therefore should not stop us from our beloved Corvette.:w

My advice Mike,
Buy what you can afford and buy the best possible car within your budget. I never saw a well cared for vette that I didn't love, any generation any year. H*ll I even love the ones that aren't cared for.;)

Good Luck in the hunt:w

Carlo

Thank You All!!!
See that's my problem .... I do love them all, well maybe not the last one I called on get this...
1984 Red
Needs the following:
carpet/seats/clusters gone bad/both headlight asm/paints rough
got a rebuilt eng&trans... but dont run right eng manifold gets red hot & runs rough,so plan on towing it home... "Ev'r since Mom got this thang & on these dirt&gravel roads we live on, well it kinda hard on the paint you know..."
WHY would you buy a vette for country roads???? I dont get it.
I want to go over & give a the poor thing a proper burial....

Mike:(

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom