Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Whats the best CAI?

hogwild

I already have a good exhaust system on my C6, so now what is the best intake for my baby? Ive heard good and bad things about oiled air filters, what is this group using with good results? Thanks!:upthumbs

You'll get more different answers than there are CAI's, so I'll tell you mine. VaraRam...............:upthumbs

CAi

For the Calloway or Vararam CAI, can all the work be done from the top? I have no access to a lift to work underneath the car.

I don't know about the C6, but you have to be able to get the car up a foot or so to install the VaraRam on a C5

All work can be done from the top (VaraRam)

Whichever one you choose, just make sure that it gets it's air from outside of the engine bay, such as the Vararam does. The intake kits which just consist of an open air filter sitting in the hot engine bay are not going to be nearly as effective. You need the cooler air from outside the engine bay if you really want to make more horsepower.

Most all the big tuner shops use VaraRam from what I've seen. I already have one in my garage along with Kooks LT's and HP Tuners....now I just need the friggin' CAR!! :)

VaraRam CAI.....I have tried to like this one, but...

I like the VaraRam but I have had a lot of problems. I would recommend it, but be very careful installing it.

I bought one of the first designs for the C6. The initial units they sent out had some problems. But, VaraRam jumped through hoops to get the new redesigned unit out to me. The VaraRam folks have been superb and the service is fantastic.

After going through some very bad weather on the Power Tour, I decided to clean the filter again. I noticed some sand and grit stuck to the seal adhesive on the intake side of the filter! I called the factory and they sent out new seals. Unfortunately they were wrinkled from shipping. No problem, I had some old encyclopedias. They fixed that problem too.

After this revision, I started to have some overheating issues. Even on very cool days, I noticed high temps. So, I installed a 160 degree thermostat and investigated how to adjust the table to turn on the fan sooner. I ceased that plan after I found out how difficult it was.

It was still overheating when driving aggressively, even with the new thermostat. (Yes, now I understand how that doesn’t really accomplish what it used to). I accept partial blame for the overheating issue as I cut too big of a hole for the Snake Charmer.

But, before I cut the shroud, I got on the phone with a technical rep to try to understand where to place the template. The initial instructions were not written very well. (Yes, they fixed that problem too) I guess I did it wrong, because I had to cut off another 2” on both sides, and about an inch on top to make the thing fit. I cut too much, I know this is affecting the air flow and cooling now.

Now my temps are too high, the car even shut down once. (You do not want to know what you have to do if your car shuts down due to overheating. Thank God, I had a Predator programmer with me). Just yesterday I was driving hard and noticed the coolant temp over 215 when it was 46 degrees outside. So, I took it easy and kept the RPMs down for awhile and the temps came back down to 180.

Anyway, now I need to replace the entire plastic shroud, OR get a different CAI. I suppose I can buy the precut shroud from VaraRam, but I would have to find someone who knew how to install it. With my back, (advanced degenerative disk disease) I am kind of stuck. I can find someone to install it for me.

Because of the excellent support from VaraRam, I will try their shroud. Hopefully that will fix the final problem I have.

I have to admit, you don’t find companies that jump through hoops like VaraRam does, they are excellent people!

Red02Firehawk
The radiator and condenser will collect a lot of debris. Try cleaning out that area and see if that helps. I have had to do that several times and it really helps with overheating.

I have the Breathless Vortex Rammer,and am very happy with it.It is very well made,and looks good under the hood.I removed all the decals on it and placed a C6 airbridge flag on the power duct.It almost looks factory.No matter which CAI you get,I think you will be pleased with the overall improvement in responsiveness and drivability throughout the rpm band,not just at WOT.:)

I vote for the Calloway Honker. I was able to install mine in my garage just using a low jack and the pucks. Hardest part was getting the radiator shroud out. All that said with it installed and a set of Corsa Sport exhaust The "Orange Ghost" smokes. I love it. Good luck. You won't go wrong listening to these well versed, experienced Vettsman (neutral gender).

If you choose the Vararam, just be careful with the knife. I punctured my a/c condensor and lost all freon.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom