Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What's The Deal With Red Calipers?

Thanks to "Remo" for starting this thread and giving us a little laugh at ourselves along with a lot of eye candy.

To absent friends....
:beer

Give red instead . . . . . .

I agree RED CALIBERS rule on about any body color I've seen :happyanim: Yellow calibers look ok on a yellow body color but still think red looks better even on the yellow.

Billl :w

I agree RED CALIBERS rule on about any body color I've seen :happyanim: Yellow calibers look ok on a yellow body color but still think red looks better even on the yellow.

Just had the calipers painted!:cool!: Also had the left headlight gear repaired. And polished!

Attachments

• vette calipers.jpg
    vette calipers.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 80

Hey there Rich! Nice looking calipers :) I bought some black VHT brand caliper spray paint yesterday. The cap is 'flat' black, and it says it's 'Satin Black. I was curious, did you use Gloss on yours? I can only find gloss as engine paint and I'm considering using that instead. I thought I'd ask what you used on yours first. Thanks! :w

As for calibers, I prefer .40 Smith and Wesson
As for calipers, I guess I'm even more boring than ever as I now have three Corvettes with red calipers whereas when it began, I only had two.
(sigh)

:cool

I like these yellows since they match the emblem color.
My '97 came with reds but they need a good cleaning - cruddy gray isn't a good color. It goes well with my white exterior and red interior.

Conversation that could probably happen?

"Yo' Dude, your red calipers, man, those are AWESOME" :upthumbs

No, kid; the blast over Hiroshima after the Enola Gay made a run, that was awesome. The invention of the X-Ray was pretty awesome. Your red calipers .. kind of put me to sleep. ;)

The calipers on the 1998 (the car only has about 7,000 miles), appear to be stock but a pleasant silver. Was that stock and they just haven't had enough exposure to get gnarly yet?

Last edited:
Rather be rd than dead for sure. . . . .

Now this has to be the redest red I've ever seen; and red looks alright on this not sure you would get by with anything else either.

-Bill

Black is Baddddàaaaassss for sure, got' m' red calibers too:cool!:

-Bill

Boy this an old thread, but I'll play.

RED is the colour!

Personally, I don't get the 'colour coordinate' the calliper/body colour thang, but it's your car.

..but don't get me started on those stupid caliper cover crap!

Paint, or better yet powder coat your stuff.
P1010022copy2.jpg

P1010012copy2.jpg

NewCamera113copycopy-1.jpg

Last edited:
The calipers on my 2013 Grand Sport are red. They came that way from the factory and look good on a Torch Red car,

...as goes Porsche, so goes every other manufactuer. That said, my '06 Machine Silver Z06 came with Red calipers from the factory and I think it looks fantastic. My wife's '06 Victory Red convertible on the other hand came with the factory dull gray calipers that, with only 11,000 miles on the odometer, are now discolored and look like crap (the rotors look even worse). She wants to replace the calipers with black powdercoated ones. She think red would be "too much red." As with everyting else in this world, to each his own.

The calipers on my 2013 Grand Sport are red. They came that way from the factory and look good on a Torch Red car,

Those Red calipers of yours was a $595 option on the 2013 GS, but they just might be the reason why I chose my triple black over a Cyber gray. They really made the car "pop."

Those Red calipers of yours was a $595 option on the 2013 GS, but they just might be the reason why I chose my triple black over a Cyber gray. They really made the car "pop."

Triple black with red calibers ROCK!

Bill :w

My 99 was triple black and I painted those black along with the rotor hats. That's the great thing about these cars. They are so easy to personalize and most combinations look great. Even those color combos that I might think look bad will appeal to more than one person.

Guys, there actually is a very good reason for the "Red" calipers. Back in the day when Zora Duntov was first developing the Hemi Head conversion for the Ford Flathead V8, he was eating lunch one day and quite by accident discovered that the color "Red" when applied in a high heat atmosphere would speed up the amount of friction of metal to non metal parts in a "Obstiller Tube". Sense an Obstiller Tube only occurs in two known conditions, as far as science has been able to determen as of today, one being the interior of a cylinder and the other being the sub chambered vortex created by a disc rotating inside of a tunnel. Mr Duntov, the father of the corvette, made the choice that one day when and if disc brakes were ever invented the caliper must be painted red to add in the breaking of his beloved Corvette.
And that is the real story for "Red" calipers.
RS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom