Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheel Locks

S

sac001

Well, I finally got the Rear and Brakes all finished up, put on the wheels and took her out for a test drive... and did the dumbest thing ever... I left the key to the Wheel Locks hanging on one of the wheels, and lost it! :hb

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get a new key? I think the locks are probably some aftermarket brand, like McGarr, but have no clue how to get a new key. ;help ;help

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

P.S. Drives great, but I need to adjust the Emergency Brake and now can't get the wheel off. :hb

Steve,

You might want to post up a picture of the lock so that somone could possibly recognize the brand and from there you could contact the manufacturer.

Just a thought.

Matt

I hope that you wrote down the key code or they will not help you.

What I had to do when I bought a 84 with locks that came with the wrong key was to weld a nut on the end of the lock and take it off that way.
When you get a new set keep the paper work (key code) in a file for your vette. or on disc.
tom

I've also heard you can force a socket onto those locks and pull em off that way. I would think that, that might ruin your sockets. but if you have a bunch of cheap sockets you could try :\

nstg8r said:
I've also heard you can force a socket onto those locks and pull em off that way.

Yep! That's why when I bought locks for mine, I bought the package of twenty Gorilla locks (The price difference wasn't all that much for all twenty as opposed to just four.) so that the thief would have to waste twenty sockets. :L

_ken :w

Call Bob Vila at Sears he will have the right tool for getting the lug off. Its probably called the "pocket nut buster " or something like that. For only 29.95 I'm sure he can send you one !!!

You know I'm only joking but now that I think about it maybe one of those crazy grab all tools would work.

Roy

Steve,
Another avenue might be to take it to a local tire shop, one that sells mags. I'm sure they run across this quite often. They may have a quick fix for you, ... then again they might not.. Good Luck

BudD
:w

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :w

I realized I would be hosed as soon as I realized I did such a dumb thing. Of course I didn't write down the key code either, after all I just tore down and rebuilt the entire rear end, how could I do something so dumb as to lose the key! :cry :( :hb

Anyway, I figure I'll bring it to the alignment shop this weekend, and see if they can get them off. Then of course I'll buy a new set and actually write down the key #.

Thanks again, this forum is absolutely the best!

Steve :beer

New Key?

I thought I'd take one last shot at getting a replacment key, and called McGard. To my surprise (not) they have had this happen once or twice before and gave me a way to try to get a new key.

If I can get them an impression of the lock, they will make me a new key! Not only that, they suggested that I take the bottom of a styrofoam coffee cup and press it against the lock, then mail it to them and voila... new key $10.00 later!

I made the impressions last night and they go out FedEx today. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

Steve :w

Security?? :confused There is no such thing, at best they might slow someone down.

At this point I just want to get them off the car. My inspection runs out at the end of the month, and I can't have the car inspected without getting the wheels off, which requires a key.

resto75 said:
Call Bob Vila at Sears he will have the right tool for getting the lug off. Its probably called the "pocket nut buster " or something like that. For only 29.95 I'm sure he can send you one !!!

That's pretty funny :L

jj

Even better than that... Got a call today from McGard, they got the imprints from what I sent them and matched up a new key. For Ten bucks it'll be here Monday! :dance

At least now I'll be able to get the inspection done, and get back on the road.

security.....:L :L :L a co-worker runs a locksmith business on the side. I've seen him pick a lock faster than you can say "where's my key"

I've actually done the same thing, driving off with my key on the wheel once. And amazingly it stayed on, I only drove like 3 blocks though so that's probably why.

Also how do you pick a wheel lock?

If it has a key........it can be picked, if it has a combination it can be broken. I've only stood back and watched in amazement at how easy it is.

Dale

:L There ya go, "nstg8 'n" and it goes right ove Dales head! We need a smily for that. ;help

_ken :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom