Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheels not eaven on both sides of car

Brewster

Corvette
1986 flames over white
The wheels on the right side set out 2inches father than the wheels on the left. No frame damage and the wheels are all the same offset.
Both the front and rear set out the same. Any ideas or who to get ahold od at the factory?;help;help

Now I KNOW this may seem like a REALLY dumb question, but is it possible both rear wheels are mounted on the right side?

Welcome to the forum!

Paul

I was going to suggest measuring all 4 wheels to make sure they are the same length (also if the tires are the same size).

If C4's had different wheels front and back, then that would be my first guess.

I agree, double check wheel measurements, or swap the left and right to see if the issue moves to the other side. What is the background, did you buy the car this way?

Otherwise, start measuring the hubs and suspension components. Make sure there are no spacers bolted onto the hubs. Maybe the car was set up for a "roundy-round" race track, i.e. making those left hand turns?

I'd check the offsets closely. My 84 has 16x8.5 on the front and 16x9.5 on the back, so it is really possible that you have both rears on one side. Having said that, look at the tires which are unidirectional and should show if one is running backwards.

Well, I know I've heard some guys saying that the rear wheels don't set out the same amount, but I don't think I've heard of your issue before. There is a difference in wheel offsets from earlier models and later C4s. I'm not sure what suspension differences there are, but maybe wheel bearings are different from earlier to later and someone has replaced earlier bearing with later resulting in more offset from the wheel mounting location? Just brainstorming here.

I'm not sure what suspension differences there are, but maybe wheel bearings are different from earlier to later and someone has replaced earlier bearing with later resulting in more offset from the wheel mounting location? .

stock 8.5" and 9.5" rims sit in same location relative to the guard. The 9.5's have 1" more backspacing

Rear wheel bearings are the same 84 -96.

88'+ rears are approx 20mm wider per side which is why the late model cars have a 56mm offset rim and the early 38mm.
When guys put late model rims on a early car they run a spacer to bring the wheels back out to the original position.
2" is a major difference , I would be checking rim backspacing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom