Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

when to polish

S

special

Just got my 2003 vette - a gream come true. Thought I would spend the first night polishing it BUT the guy at the museum said to wait for 3 months. Do you have to wait, if yes why?? Obviously I do not know much about this.

Thanks for any help

You have to wait for the new paint to cure, otherwise it will get all stratched up. My vette was painted by previous owner just before i got it, and half-ass job by macco by the way and I went to wash it soon after i got it and it got it ALLLLLLLLL stratched up from the sponge, towels everything. But the polishing job i had done a few months later worked great!. :D

I would really wait to even polish/wax it if i were you. I think in the video or manual that comes with the new car it tells you exactly why and how long to wait, read up on that part. I would recommend polish once a year at a professional place. That makes it really shine.

Congrats on the new Corvette,
John

It is my understanding that you can wax as soon as you take delivery. I got my '02 in May & have waxed it numerous times. I was told the clear coat paint process "cures" the paint immediately and there is no need to wait. I know we have some paint guys here that can elaborate!

I do believe Steve is correct. When the car is painted at the factory it is cured in an oven. So it should be safe to wax the car.

If you do, be sure to use only 100% cotton towels. They are the softest things you can use to wax your ride with. And take your time too.

Congrats on your new ride, and welcome to the CACC.:CAC

Jason:w

Welcome, Special!

Come back often and tell us about your new ride!
Heidi

Welcome to :CAC and congrats on the new vette, hope you enjoy it! and by the way, do u polish then wax or wax then polish or just one? and can you over do it? because when i get my vette i wanna do that stuff once a week or 2 too keep it lookin great!

Justin_cv87 said:
Welcome to :CAC and congrats on the new vette, hope you enjoy it! and by the way, do u polish then wax or wax then polish or just one? and can you over do it? because when i get my vette i wanna do that stuff once a week or 2 too keep it lookin great!

Normaly, when you wax your 'Vette, you will apply polish after the wax. Wax is actually a protectant for your paint. Many waxes also contain small amounts of abrasive compounds that will remove water spots, bug guts and the like, however, it is possible to scratch the car using this too.

Polish on the other hand, is just that, a polish. It makes the car shiny once the wax has removed all the stuff you dont want on the paint.

Most high quality wax/polish systems will last several months. So its not nessisary for you to wax/polish it every week (though it is fun :)).

If your going to go through all the trouble of making your ride look pristine, I highly recommend Zaino. They have, IMO the single best wax/polish system on the market. Once you are done using their system on your car, it will be as smooth as a baby's bottom and shiny enough to shave in.

Unfortunately it's not avalible in stores, and it's kind of expensive. You can get it mail order from Zaino though. They also have an indepth procedure on their web site that spells out exactly how to apply the stuff.

---
Normaly, when you wax your 'Vette, you will apply polish after the wax.
---

This is not correct, with all due respect. Polish first, wax second. Polish removes the wax. If you've been waxing first and then applying a polish, you've been wasting your time and your wax.

According to the Zaino salesman and their instruction sheet , MacShee98 is correct . Cliff

I waxed my 98 when it was new in 98 and it scratched it. Believe I'd wait the 3 months.

thanks guys, i herd that the Zaino stuff is the best you could get, and thats what im gona go with. when i get my 96 im restoring it to show room quality!

Red Rulz

Big welcome Special:w These guys here know what there doing,so your in good hands. Conrates on the new Vette:beer

Welcome to CAC and congrats on your new Vette. You should be able to wax it as the paint is cured already. Enjoy the ride.

congrats on your new set of wheels . I have a 1998 coupe Torch red do not wax use ZAINO you will not regret it
just my 0.02
John

MacShee98 said:
---
Normaly, when you wax your 'Vette, you will apply polish after the wax.
---

This is not correct, with all due respect. Polish first, wax second. Polish removes the wax. If you've been waxing first and then applying a polish, you've been wasting your time and your wax.

I'm confused:confused, why poslish first? I thought the wax was the stuff that cleaned the paint and made it suitible for the posish. Why would polish, which is supposed to shine the paint, remove the wax, which is designed to protect it?

From what I understand, and practice, is that polishing is a way to remove stracthes and imperfections. You cannot do that with normal wax. I usually go over a few spots with the polishing compound after a good wash. Then a nice coat of wax to protect the paint. Just my take on it.
John

Basically what the Zaino rep. told me was that cleaners clean the painted surface , polish shines it up and "wax' protects it . Cliff

DK has the right idea. The polish actually has a very mild abrasive that in reality smooths the tops off of the paint surface and the wax preserves that shine. Enjoy the new ride.:cool

twiget said:
I'm confused:confused, why poslish first? I thought the wax was the stuff that cleaned the paint and made it suitible for the posish. Why would polish, which is supposed to shine the paint, remove the wax, which is designed to protect it?

A polish has micro-abrasives in it and oils which feed the paint. A polish is what gives paint that wet look. A wax, is simply a sealant. So that's why you should put a coat of polish on first and then seal it in with a coat of wax.

The wax is what is designed to protect.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom