Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Where is the A/C low pressure cut off switch?

coffeejolts

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
The A/C on my '81 hasn't worked in a long while. The A/C clutch never engages. So yesterday, I checked the A/C clutch by running a wire from the battery to the positive terminal on the compressor. Bingo- clutch engaged. So now I suspect the switch in the dash, but I'd like to check the pressure switch first before I rip the console and the glove box out.

Where is it located in the '81? The service manual says to check it, but never mentions the location.

On the right side, a metal pipe from your A/C runs down to the dryer, the pipe has a big black rubber connector on it. When you disconnect the connector and short circuit the connector the clutch should also engage. I think you're just to low on freon.

Greetings Peter

Thanks! I will check the pressure switch when I get today.

If I short it and the clutch engages, then I either have low freon (and a leak) or a faulty pressure switch. If the clutch does not engage, then it is either wiring or the dash control. Right?

To the right center in the pic...
I'd bet you're low on freon.
acswitch.jpg

There are two differnent sizes pipes. The larger of the two is the low side and is where you chage the A/C from.

If you are low on freon, then you have a leak. Typically oil comes out with the freon. Look for oil spots on the fittings. There are rubber o-rings that tend to leak over time. Also check the condenser. They can pick up rocks.

Also freon is now regulated and requires a certification card to purchase.

Update

I jumpered the low pressure switch's connector and the compressor did not engage. Then I checked the voltage through it with my multimeter.

When I have the A/C on, there is less than one volt going through the wires to the compressor. It should be 12+. This sounded like a grounding issue to me, so I double checked that by testing against a known good ground. Still < 1 volt. While I had the meter out, I checked continuity on the low pressure switch itself. It had continuity, so I'm guessing that means that the freon pressure is ok.

I'm left with the console switch as suspect #1.

Don't think that it is a grounding issue. What you are doing is checking power backwards.

Do you have power at the fuse? Do you have power at the switch?

Where I live we have a corrosion problem and wires corrode. If you have power at the switch, check the wire with your volt meter at both ends. This is typicle in high humid area. I have replace more wires then components.

Do you have a schematic that you can forward to me?

Cheers

Vito

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom