Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where is the fuel pump on an '82 CFI

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
I am pretty sure its accessible without dropping the tank. But when I search on the forum I get two different answers. But I tend to go along with the ones that say you can reach it without removing the tank as that thread had more input and had actual '82 owners.
Thank you!
Lori:w

Its accessable from the top, tight but doable; take off the filler door and the rubber boot and you will see where the complete filler-gas gage-pump assembly unbolts.

It's right under the filler cap like BossVette said.
Take the lid off. Remove the screws around the boot.
Then you will see the fuel lines attached and the electrical connector to the fuel pump. Undo the connector and the fuel lines. Then the filler tube will come out, rotate it a little to get it past the tank edge. And be careful of the tank level float, it's very delicate.
IMGA00361.JPG

The pump is connected to the down tube at the bottom.
Two small screws connect to wires to the pump, and the pump is attached to the down tube with a short section of rubber hose. Make sure that the pickup filter is free of contaminants and/or tears on the filter.
Swap out the pump, and re-assemble.

One note: The 1985 fuel pump is a higher pressure pump than the stock 82, so you might want to upgrade to an 85 pump as long as you are doing it.

What Pete said...the crossfire will be very happy with the 85 pump. Don't worry about fuel pressure though...upgrading to the 85 pump won't cause higher fuel pressure, the pressure regulator will take care of that. The 85 pump is just capable of much more VOLUME, thus is much better at maintaining correct pressure under heavy engine load (like WOT blasts...not that we ever do that do we! :L ).

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom