Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where to find. Cheap Roller Block?

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

Most of the times I have an idea well before I have the money to put it in to action. But my idea is to better plan for somebody that you don't need in the end then to take action without a plan.

So, a good friend of mine build his first 350ci stroker. All nice and good and I was thinking, I can upgrade and alter the L81 till I get the max amound of power out of it but I can also buy another 350ci and build a good short block and go from there.
Here in Holland there aren't that much 350ci for sale so I have to look in the states (ebay etc etc). I'm looking for a used 350ci with 1 piece rear seal and roller cam but were is the best place to look for them? I know they were used in 87/88? Camaro's, Firebirds, policecars and some Caprices.

What is the best way to do this as I dont want to end up with a 350ci overhere with a crack in the casting.
Any usable info is good :)

Greetings Peter

Some newer GM crate motors are also roller blocks. My 300 hp crate motor came with a flat tappet cam but was a roller block with a one piece seal.

Peter,

I think that nowadays the block does not have to be a "roller" block (meaning born a roller block). Roller cams have come a long way, and they make them for the Mark IV version of the small block. Roller cams are not cheap. A hydraulic/roller cam/lifter combo can be pwards of $500 for small block. $800 for for a big block.

For example, I have been busy with a 427 build for my 71 Acadian. I am using a Mark IV block.

2012-08-20T21-49-54.jpg

2012-08-26T19-41-08.jpg

Hello Gerry! :thumb

When I look at the original roller lifters and retrofit roller lifters I can save $$$ when buying one that is a original roller block. But that is just 1 of the 2 things. Second is the 1 piece rear seal, my L81 is now after only 3000 miles already dripping some oil at the rear seal...

But the thing is, I can better put my hours in building an engine that sitting before the television. And I can still drive my vette when building the engine when I have found the right 350ci :)

Greetings Peter

Problem solved. A good friend of mine has a 350ci laying around with a 1 piece rear seal and it's a roller block. As he is'nt using it anymore I can buy it. And he is only 45 minutes away from me :)

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom