Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where's the VIN on a late C3?

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
Besides the left A-pillar, on a later C3---say 78 to 82---where is the VIN stamped on the vehicle?

Here's the frame VIN stamper at St. Louis being used on an '80 (this is the forward stamp - the other one is directly above the #4 body mount bracket).

:beer

My understanding is that the # stamped on the engine and trans is only a partial VIN. Is that correct.

In addition to the location shown in the image cited above and a second location above the #4 body mount bracket, another post in a different thread on the 81 Registry board says there is a VIN stamp at the rear corner of the frame. Anyone know anything about that?

My understanding is that the # stamped on the engine and trans is only a partial VIN. Is that correct.

In addition to the location shown in the image cited above and a second location above the #4 body mount bracket, another post in a different thread on the 81 Registry board says there is a VIN stamp at the rear corner of the frame. Anyone know anything about that?

Correct. Engine, frame, and tranny have VIN derivitives stamped on them -- not complete VINs (usually car code, model year, plant code, and consecutive unit number). Don't know about the rear stamp on the Bowling Green cars. I read that post and it was news to me, but Peer says he found one.

:)

Correct. Engine, frame, and tranny have VIN derivitives stamped on them -- not complete VINs (usually car code, model year, plant code, and consecutive unit number). Don't know about the rear stamp on the Bowling Green cars. I read that post and it was news to me, but Peer says he found one.

:)

Maybe I should come back on this. When I looked for the VIN I looked on the arch (above the trailingarm) I thought that was the place where the VIN should be. What I remember is that is wasn't there but more to the rear. It could also be above the left rear bodymount or from that place to the rear. It's been 4 years so I don't remember exactly.

Groeten Peter

Sorry for the large pic but it's the only one I have showing the area, see where the main hoop is welded to the flat base plate on the kickup, on the left side of the frame?? Just backwards of it, and still in front of the jigging slot in the frame, that's where it's on my frame. It's just the prod. #, same as on the engine.

wrnlow.jpg

That's right - it's correctly called a "VIN derivative" - it identifies the model year, plant, and only the last six digits of the full VIN.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom