Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Brake Pads to use

• Thread starter Bradleywrench13
  • Start date
B

Bradleywrench13

I have an 03 Z06. It still has the original brake pads on it. My wife has complained (since she has been driving it while I am still playing in th big sandbox) that the front brakes are squealing alot. She took it in for the dealer to look at, they looked at it and even though it wasn't a warranty issue they told her that the brakes were fine(pretty honest for a dealer). However, I don't like squeaky brakes on my Vette either, and I am extremely tired of the brake dust. So I have looked on line and am trying to decide on which brake pads to buy. So far I have researched VGX Ceramics, CarboTech Panther Plus, and Hawk HPS. This is my daily driver, I don't do auto crossing or anything competitive, I do drive it hard on occasions. Can anyone tell me of bad or good experiences they've had using any of these? Specifically if you are using any of these what is the dust like and do they squeak alot? Thanks in advance and God Bless. Only 33 more days.
Steve

Steve,
I'm certainly not an expert on this, since I have yet to make a switch in brakes on my Z06... however... I hear nothing but praise from folks who upgrade to ceramic. According to ceramic devotees, you'll hear no squealing, and it'll mean the end of brake dust as you know it.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from some purchasers of ceramic pads soon.

Stay safe over there, we're looking forward to seeing you at CruiseFest in June!

:w
-Patrick

Ceramic pads

I recently put NAPA ceramic pads on in addition to new rotors and currently have more break dust ect than I ever had. Hopefully this dust will taper off after the rotors are broke in.

HPS are with OEM type rotor is a good combination. I was using HP+ before with a lot of brake noise, but that was not a problem for me. I have black wheels so dust is not an issue. The problem was that the HP+ eats the rotors. I also paid $200 for the GM ceramic. I removed them and put them in the garbage after two weeks; these pads have no bite.
I find the bite of the HPS close to the HP+.

I’m very happy with the HPS. No noise, low-medium dust, and a lot of bite. HPS is my choice going forward.

Bite from a scale from 1 to 10
GM ceramic 2
GM standard 5
HPS 7
HP+ 8

If you are look oriented, cross-drilled & slotted and Ceramic pads. If your
driving habit needs more stopping power, OEM rotors and HPS.

I installed the HPS on my friend 2002 Z06 and he likes them a lot. I’m will install them also on my other friend 2001 Z.

I have not tried VGX Ceramics, CarboTech Panther Plus yet.

Phil just installed the Hawk HPS with Baer Eradispeed slotted & drilled rotors on the fronts. (The backs are next) This is on the 99 FRC.
The brakes went from absolute CRAP (but that is another story as to why) to VERY good. They are still not as good as the brakes on the Z06 were but, hey, that's to be expected.

I've only driven it for 15 minutes since they were installed, so I can't really discuss the dust or any squealing (haven't heard any yet). The pads/rotors aren't even bedded in fully yet. If you're still on the fence after the weekend of the 13th, I'll give a report of how things went on the Tail of the Dragon run.

Tammy

They are still not as good as the brakes on the Z06 were but, hey, that's to be expected.Tammy

Hello MsSchroder. You raise a good point that I need to understand. The Z has the same disk, same caliper (painted in red) than the C5, but different pads. Are you saying that the standard Z pads are better than the HAWK HPS. I would like to know because my friend has a Z and told me that the HAWK HPS were better than the standard Z pads. By better I mean stopping power.

I would like to know because I may try Z pads next time.

Cheers, C.

Hello MsSchroder. You raise a good point that I need to understand. The Z has the same disk, same caliper (painted in red) than the C5, but different pads. Are you saying that the standard Z pads are better than the HAWK HPS. I would like to know because my friend has a Z and told me that the HAWK HPS were better than the standard Z pads. By better I mean stopping power.

I would like to know because I may try Z pads next time.

Cheers, C.
Well, you raise a very good point. I had been under the assumption that the Z rotors were bigger, but as you pointed out (a quick check at the tech center verified :L) you are correct. SO... I was going strictly from SOTP feel of the brakes. The z06 brakes really did feel better- but that could be from 1 of 3 things:
1) we haven't changed the rear rotors or pads on the 99 yet
2) my memory isn't as good as I think it is! LOL
3) there is something different about the z06 pads.

I honestly don't know whether the difference is in the Z06 pads. It will be very interesting to see how it feels after we get the rears done.
By the way, when we pulled off the rotors on the front, they appeared to have come from a salvage yard :eek (The service history says they were replaced in March of this year, so I just can't figure out what the story might have been there.) If the rears are junkyard material too, then we still have plenty of room for improvement with the slotted & drilled rotors.

I can say this, the Z06 put out TONS of brake dust, esp. on the fronts. If the rotors are the same as the others, then significantly different pads must be the explanation.

Tammy

Well, you raise a very good point. I had been under the assumption that the Z rotors were bigger, but as you pointed out (a quick check at the tech center verified :L) you are correct. SO... I was going strictly from SOTP feel of the brakes. The z06 brakes really did feel better- but that could be from 1 of 3 things:
1) we haven't changed the rear rotors or pads on the 99 yet
2) my memory isn't as good as I think it is! LOL
3) there is something different about the z06 pads.

I honestly don't know whether the difference is in the Z06 pads. It will be very interesting to see how it feels after we get the rears done.
By the way, when we pulled off the rotors on the front, they appeared to have come from a salvage yard :eek (The service history says they were replaced in March of this year, so I just can't figure out what the story might have been there.) If the rears are junkyard material too, then we still have plenty of room for improvement with the slotted & drilled rotors.

I can say this, the Z06 put out TONS of brake dust, esp. on the fronts. If the rotors are the same as the others, then significantly different pads must be the explanation.

Tammy

Thanks Tammy.

As neat as slotted/drilled rotors look, for stopping think stock rotors and use them as throwaways like brake pads; use and toss. Go to Rockauto.com and buy rotors for about $21 each, use them and toss'em. I use a carbon-kevlar pad for everyday use which increases stopping from stock pads with not much dust. For road course I use a Carbotech panther pad, I think it's a IX or X. When I think there really isn't enough for another track session, I just leave them in for stock driving.

Tammy
What about them makes you think they are from a Salvage Yard??

The z06 brakes really did feel better- but that could be from 1 of 3 things: ...

... [rotors] appeared to have come from a salvage yard

Tammy

If Bubba put on something like those rotors (I would confront him), have you considered other factors that could reduce your SOTP braking feel, like brake fluid, air or other contaminants, or sticky calipers?

I would properly bed the brake pads ASAP. Just don't park the car with hot rotors.

If Bubba put on something like those rotors (I would confront him), have you considered other factors that could reduce your SOTP braking feel, like brake fluid, air or other contaminants, or sticky calipers?

I would properly bed the brake pads ASAP. Just don't park the car with hot rotors.

I forgot to mention, the brake fluid was HORRIBLE. Filthy. We won't have it fully cleaned out of the reservoir/lines until we get the backs done. I'll report back then.
Good tip on not parking with hot rotors. We're in the process of bedding the brakes in now.

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom