Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which crate engine for my 80 Shark?

If the parts are CARB approved can't they be installed?:confused

I have the 700-R4 and 3.73 gear.It makes crusin and passin a whole much better ride.2250 rpm at 70 mph in od and one nice 1st gear.Just my 2 cents. Oh I don't know if AFR head's are legal in Calf. but that alone will make a huge diference with a setup you can add to later on if you want.

Re: Mister ??? - hahaha

BLACKDOG said:
I was once caught up in the need for more HP until Rare81 asked me what the hell I was going to do with it....the Salt Flats ??...or the WinterNationals ??

Well, you could keep up with your Eastern C3 brothers for one...myself, BBB454, 69MyWay, etc... Remember, unless you are the lead Dawg, the view never changes... hahahah :L :L :L :L
But Dawg gets cut some slack because he doubles as the party captain / blender master. And Rare81 slides because he is Yoda. And if ya saw Star Wars II, you know Yoda can kick some serious :booty. (Me? I'm still in my Jedi apprenticeship, hence my avatar on the left :L)

Well as usual I've been waiting in the wings before replying. Forgive me for being blunt.
Bigbrakefuelie, your target motor is a dog. No offense DawG! You would be lucky if you have 150 hp. It was designed as a universal replacement motor for everything from farmer Bob's flatbed to grandma's grocery getter. It has three major flaws: pistons,cam, and heads. The 76cc heads are closer to 78cc's, the pistons are dished and beveled for very low compression, and the cam is dead at 3,000 rpm.
Now for emissons:
CO: basically fuel mixture, richer mixture = higher CO
HC: combustion. Poor combustion = higher HC
NOX: gas created by elevated cyl. temp.
Now for performance:
Higher compression
higher lift and longer duration cam
improved intake and exhaust flow; better heads
Now the problem:
more cam duration and overlap create HC at lower rpm's. also needs higher compression to compensate.
large intake runners in heads and large intake valves reduce velocity and fuel atomization requiring richening mixture: higher CO and increased HC
reducing fuel mixture raises cyl temps; increasing NOX
Now the cure:
Heads; this is where you build hp but be conservative.
Valve diameter: intake 2.02 max, prefer 1.94 exhaust 1.60 max, prefer 1.50 intake runner cc 190max 185 better.
chamber volume, with iron heads 64 - 68 cc, with aluminum heads 58 - 64 cc's. Aluminum heads dissapate heat faster and require higher compression. This will keep your compression in the 9's with your current pistons.
cam: most important keep the lobe centerline no less than 112 degrees, 114 prefered. Duration around 260 degrees, lift in the .450 - .460 range.
Head intake/exhaust flow%: if the ehaust flows 70% or more compared to the intake flow then you need a single pattern cam. If it flows less than 70% use a dual pattern cam.
Use a good aluminum intake (edelbrock performer) with EGR.
This will get you in the 300 hp range and pass emissions.
DawG made me do this:dance

Mike

Wow, there's a post Rob should put in the archives for all you poor fellows in stuck in CA smog regulations...

Thanks for all the info fellas, After talking to my man down at CorvetteCare I think what I`m gonna do to start is change my rear end out. 3.55 ratio would be a big improvement off the line anyway.
Also he assured me that I`ll run clean and pass emissions with a 383! He said that he`s put in 3 already and they`ve been fine.That`s gonna be a long term goal though. After the rear I`m gonna go shopping for a 700R4 tranny and take things from there.

You may wanna start with the 700R4. Due to it's gearing, if you already have a 3.08 rear, it ends up being a 3.73 first gear. Going to a 3.55 rear then going to the 700R4 is going to create a stump-pulling first gear! (This is all assuming I understand the 700R4..which I probably don't..hahahah :L I get/got my info from the bowtie.com website...)

Crate for my 72

Guys, I have been following this thread trying to decide what crate engine to put in my vette. I gotta tell ya I'm no closer to a decision. I want as many hp for around $4,000 as I can get. I have a 400 turbo tranny and 3.08 rear end. Any thoughts? Fred.

FC3- What kind of power do you want? Red light to Red Lightr or top speed? the 383 I have heard has alot of torque.around and around 320hp.I have the same rear ratio as you 3.08 and I was thinking about changing to 3.55.

thanks mike !!

Sorry to drag you into this, Mike...but, as far as I'm concerned...U da Man !! :BOW :BOW :BOW - :_rock

BigBlockFuelie - now you can check with your shop and see what the $$$ difference would be to clean up your Target, or do the 383 !!!

Evolution1980 - DawG has no problem letting his eastcoast brothers lead interference !!! :L :L :L This DawG doesn't mind looking at nice butts. Anyway, it's tough to keep dem blenders steady at 130...yeah, like the BLACKDOG will ever see them numbers !!! :cry

Remember, I can't go over 85 !! ... but the blender can !! :beer

viva Evolution1980 !!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom