Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which is easier to work on?

CROOZ1N

Corvette
1993 Torch red coupe
As someone who hopes to move up to a C5 some day soon I have a question for those that have taken this step before me.
Are C5's more difficult to work on and repair than C4's?
I do as much of my own work as I possibly can and hate it when i have to let someone else under the hood. I have heard from some "mechanics" that the C4 's are much easier and dependable to work with.
So do you do your own C4/C5 work or farm it all out?
Which is easier to work on ....relatively as no modern Vette is easy to work on.

Thanks !

No idea...I have a Corvette guy do all the work on mine. The last car I worked on with any regularity was my '79 Trans Am. Back then I could still open the hood and identify the parts. When I had my '89 C4 and realized that I had to take off a body panel just to change out the battery, I decided, "That's it...I'm done." Ok, I did successfully change out the battery on my C5 a couple of months ago...no body panels to remove. :D

There are some things easier,some things not!:thumbAllot of the body things are allot easier on C5's and C6's than C4's!! I don't mind working on any of them,Except maybe a Heater Core in a AC C3 car!!!:boogie

The c4 with the clam shell hood makes it easier to reach things,but my c5 is pretty easy to work on and the motor just looks better,most basic things,tune ups etc are easy for most guys to do:thumb

Thanks for the replies guys. I was worried when I first looked under the hood of my C4 and as I got into the manual and actually tinkering around in there it was no longer as intimidating. I gave up working on cars for a while as I had more important things going on in life.
I had not done much work on any cars since I gave my 67 mustang to my son so this was a big step forward in the evolution of the infernal combustion engine. But that all have to have the 3 basics to work, Spark fuel and air.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom