Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

WHich oil filter do you use?

ZQQM

Which oil filter is best for a 1991 L98?
:confused

do you want the actual model number, or brand?

I use purolator pure 1 in all my cars (if the pure 1 isn't available, i use the regular purolator filter).

The pure 1 is a top rated filter (always rated in the top 3, and most of the time it is rated #1) that you can find at many regular auto parts stores (pep-boys etc.) for a reasonable price.

ugh stay away from frams...I run K&N By far one of the best filters I've used. If you don't want to spend all that money just a regular ACDelco will be fine.

FRAM is a bad filter. It's probably slightly better than a pop can filled with toilet paper.:L

I use K&N. The 1" hex makes it so easy.

Mobil 1 filters.... I use them, install them, sell them. Fram filters? I'd rather use a JC Whitney toilet paper filter.

Filter

OK Thanks for all your inputs.:beer

AdvancedAutoCC said:
Mobil 1 filters.... I use them, install them, sell them. Fram filters? I'd rather use a JC Whitney toilet paper filter.

Looks Like Fram ****ed some People off here.!

K&N here also......

Vettefan87 said:
There was some filtration report done that said Fram was by far the worst filter to get...Edmond do you remember that report?

J.,

I remember reading it here and I always make reference to it but I just never save the thing! :L But yes, you are correct, it did say that the filtration was bad, to say the least.

What they did, IIRC, was cut out the filters and examine the inner filtration system on quite a few filters. Seems that a lot of filters are just rebadged from other brands...

I have used the Mobil 1 filter, the Purolator filter and AC Delcos, but have pretty much settled on the AC Delco 454. The Purolator and Mobil 1 were fine, but I use Red Line Synthetic oil (which is expensive), and just drew the line at paying extra for the pricey Mobil 1 filter (sometimes you just gotta say no even if something is only a penny more), and I think the AC is a newer and better design than the Purolator. A related thread might be what people think of the Fram "Air Hog" air filter.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

whay aren't the local auto parts stores carring AcDelco oil filters that much anymore? i almost struck out at autozone the other day, i got the last one!!

tigmaned said:
whay aren't the local auto parts stores carring AcDelco oil filters that much anymore? i almost struck out at autozone the other day, i got the last one!!

This is a really good question, and I've wondered the same thing. Something that I have also noticed is that, at least here in Houston, there isn't any auto parts "superstore" on the order of, say, Home Depot or Loew's. The main ones are places like Pep Boys and Auto Zone, which seem to have gone downhill and are really behind the times with limited selection and a lot of real chintzy stuff. It's weird.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

I am not so sure that AC Delco didn't change policy, I think they quit selling to the parts and chain store. I don't see spark plugs anyplace but the GM dealers anymore either. By the same token my dealer gives me a pretty good price on carry out parts. Most oil filters I get for $4.50
Glenn
:w

yeah thats not bad for a deal cost oil filter, but the AcDelco oil filter i got at autozone went for $3.50.

I believe there is a difference between the Purolator and the Purolator Pure One. They advertise that the Pure One filters smaller microns or something like that.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on an oil filter. How much more do you spend on a premium oil filter a year? Probably $10 if you drive a lot. IMO, $10 a year isn't enough to take a chance. Same thing with oil, get a good quality oil, you're not going to save enough if repairs come around.

And if anyone doesn't already know, Wal Mart sells 5 quart synthetic Mobil 1 for $20. It's hard to beat that price when each quart usually costs $5 or so.

And if you're into shooting guns, Wal Mart also has low prices on ammo. Low prices on ammo and motor oil, what more could a guy ask for? :L

Edmond said:
I believe there is a difference between the Purolator and the Purolator Pure One. They advertise that the Pure One filters smaller microns or something like that.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on an oil filter. How much more do you spend on a premium oil filter a year? Probably $10 if you drive a lot. IMO, $10 a year isn't enough to take a chance. Same thing with oil, get a good quality oil, you're not going to save enough if repairs come around.

And if anyone doesn't already know, Wal Mart sells 5 quart synthetic Mobil 1 for $20. It's hard to beat that price when each quart usually costs $5 or so.

And if you're into shooting guns, Wal Mart also has low prices on ammo. Low prices on ammo and motor oil, what more could a guy ask for? :L

Wal Mart's pretty amazing. I volunteered to help at one of the two big Hurricane Katrina evacuation shelters down here in Houston, and Wal Mart had donated and organized into individual packets tons of really basic and useful stuff (such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, towels, baby and kid stuff etc.) that we were able to give to the evacuees. The had their employees there to help out and call in more stuff as needed. Also, they utilized their great inventory tracking system to begin stocking their stores in the affected areas with stuff people usually needed after hurricanes even before the storm hit. They don't pay me for saying this, but seeing them in action like that reminds me how great this country is in so many ways. Anyway, it's been awhile since I checked their auto section, but I seem to remember that they had by far the lowest price on AC Delco Rapidfire Sparkplugs, the kind I like. I am looking for an AC air filter, so I'll take a look to see if they also have the AC oil filters.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houson

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom