Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

White smoke

71VERT

Corvette
66 Red 427 Coupe
What would cause water and white smoke to be coming from the exhaust? I know it could be conbdensation but it continues and gets worse when the car warms up.

If its a intake or head gasket would it be coming from both exhaust pipes equally?

If its radiator fluid getting into the cylinder what gasket would cause it too leak into both sides?

Could it still be I do not have the valve lash adjusted correctly since they are solid lifters and I am guessing on the lash.

Any help would be appreciated

If it's really white and does not go away and there's a sweet smell then you probably have a blown head gasket.....sorry to say.

-have you checked to see if your head-bolts are torqued-down sufficiently? --maybe after the last time a cyl.head was secured, it was not re-torqued later? Are your dual/exh.-pipes routed entirely separately, as I see you probably don't have a catylic-converter; --if so it would be surprising that both cyl.head-gaskets are blown at once! --Possibly they both just only need re-torquing (which is still enough of a hastle). Does the water-vapor still eminate from tailpipes say 5-minutes after you remove radiator-cap? Are your cyl.heads iron or aluminum?
~Bob vH
;shrug

The exhausts are totally seperate thats why I am confused. I do not think the heads are loose since it ran fine before. I did have some problems when I changed the valve seals resetting the lash. The car is suppossed to have hydraulic lifters but it has solid ones so I did have the rockers torqued down too much originally, I dont no if that could have damaged anything that would cause my problem now. I did run the car for a brief period of time with the rockers too tight.
If its smoke and condensation from both pipes It would have too be both heads or both head gaskets correct. Or could I have damaged some of the exhaust ports on both heads. How can you tell if you have cracks or leaks in the hea

regards,
Jerry

Try pulling the plugs one at a time and look for greenish tint on the electrode,this will give you an indication if you have anti freeze leaking into the cylinder,check your coolant for any oil, Pressure test the cooling system with a STANT tester if the pressure builds up very fast you have a blown head gasket or other problems. Hope this helps.

Regards
Terry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom