Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who can afford to restore this?

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
this is a link to an ebay car I was watching

Some of you folks know I am searching for a 61/62 to put a tube frame under the car and build for my wife.So I have still have not made a deal on anything yet .But as I watch how high (I Feel) this recent car went for I wonder if the people who are purchasing these car understand that they could purchase a show car for less then what there going to spend to build this car for.

Larry,

I hate to say it but I have seen less sell for more, looks to be a pretty complete interior and , all the chrome and brightwork looks to be there, not really a bad price for a fixer upper.

Keep looking, you will find one with a bad frame that someone wants to dump, that will work fine for you.

Tom

I have a 61 undergoing restoration and I look at it as a passion first, a hobby second, therapy third and an investment fourth. :)

Maybe you don't want a complete car if you are going to remove the original frame anyway. The old frame should bring in some cash on Ebay, probably more sold as component parts rather than a complete chassis. Or find one with a rusted out frame... plenty out there. It's almost time to get out the Snow machines and head north isn't it?
Good luck,
Gary S

based on what they sell for when they are done.....(40,000 - 65,000.00)
the guy could have a decent deal at $16,000...

especially if he does the work himself....

Larry,
I would agree that this car is not too badly priced. I wouldn't expect to find one for much less. You might be able to find one with a really rotted frame for less, but think of all the parts you could sell off of this one to help offset the price. I lucked out on my 59 and got boxes of NOS parts with it and out of the $16,000 paid for the car, I have already recovered over $12,000!
I would expect that I will have a minimum of $40K in my tube framed car before it is over, so saving a few bucks on the up front cost is of little benefit. Just remember the old saying "you never pay too much for a Corvette, you just buy too soon!" These old cars will just keep getting more expensive as time goes by.
You might want to contact Downs manufacturing. I hear that they now build repro C1 bodies, and if they are as good as their street rod bodies, they will probably be outstanding.
Regards, John McGraw

Well I guess what my problem has been is I see advertizements for 61/62 cars complete and driveable for around 26 to 30.These are not show quailty cars but they are complete. So when I see this car going for 16 the 26,000.00 car seems like a steel to me considering I would be selling off the frame(with NO VIN)and trans and motor .

I really want a complete car .I have restored several cars in the past and any thing I with parts in a basket went a lot slower then one I have taken apart.

It's almost time to get out the Snow machines and head north isn't it?

And yes gary we are getting ready for a road trip.we are planning out first trip up to old forge the secound week of january we allready have a place for the season now all we need is some snow.

SOOoooo its you that asked for the white stuff, we have been getting it off and on all day in northern N.Y.

Tom

Viking427 said:
$16K isn't bad. Any complete C1 for under $20k is reasonable. No doubt about it, your better off buying a done car anymore. If you got sticker shock from that one, how about this chassis for your project:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445820919&category=6168

WOW did you see the buy it now price??
Holy Smokes

But that is what I want the rumble of a big block just like the seller describes.I allready have the motor for the car a ls6 performance crate motor from the 90's

sting66ray said:
SOOoooo its you that asked for the white stuff, we have been getting it off and on all day in northern N.Y.

Tom
You can send some out my way, Tom.... I'm dreaming of a white Christmas... :L

I have been looking for an unrestored 1962 since August. I have owned several in my 40+ years of Corvettes. The operative word today seems to be greed and in too many cases fraud. During my latest search I have tracked many cars on every internet site and search engine I can find. The Corvette hobby is now big business. Have you noticed how many cars are in the hands of dealers with prices that are sky high? And of those privately owned, the prices being asked? $69,900 for a 62, not fuel injected, $89,900 for a 62 FI that is suspect and $45-$59,000 for Fake 62 fuelies. Everyone expects to get rich and retire because the own a vintage Corvette. It is no wonder someone paid this price for that 62 project. I am sure they are dreaming of spending a few thousand dollars and turning the car over at a price in the $60,000.

It does seem the market is now in a lull. Most of the cars I have been tracking have not sold and the dealers who are ruining the Corvette hobby are listing their products on Ebay. The dealers could care less about Corvettes. If they could make this money selling Yugos, they would be Yugo Bill.

I recently read a complaint by an NCRS member about points taken from his car in judging because his Corvette now was devalued by a third. Too bad, this is all becoming only about money. I guess I should have seen the end in sight once NCRS allowed dealers into the membership.

Richard,
There is only one reason that the prices are going up on these cars. There is more demand for the cars then there is supply. Add to this, the fact that many Baby Boomers are getting to an age where they can finally afford the car they allways wanted, and you have the high prices that you see today. This is not limited to Corvettes. If you watch the prices of most muscle cars, you will see that they are all going through the roof!
I got to tell you that after restoring many cars in my lifetime, that the only way to make a small fortune in selling restored Corvettes is to start with a large fortune!
There are those dealers that charge outrageous prices for cars that are not worth it, but they fill a niche for buyers with lots of cash and little patience to find the right car. If you pay $20k for a car needing total restoration and do a proper job of restoring it, you would be hard pressed to break even on it if you sold it for $60 when you sold it. I sold my 60 this year at the nationals in Hershey, and even though I got what I consider top dollar for the car, given the ammount of hours that I had in the car, it was no moneymaker! The Top Filght and Duntov awards are in large part responsible for the price the car commanded, but I still wouldn't get rich building Duntov quality cars to sell! I do not think that the NCRS can be blamed in any way for the high prices on Corvettes, but they are responsible for being able to tell a first class Corvette from a so-so restoration. They are to be thanked for rasing the level of knowledge on what makes a "Correct Corvette" to levels unheard of for any other car. The membership has allways been open to anyone that has an intrest in restoration or preservation of these fine old cars, dealer or not.
Regards, John McGraw

Richard Cox
I wish you luck on your quest.I dont so much agree with you on the ncrs statement but if your reading there board there was a post about some one looking for a tanker and they had mention about the hidden cars that only the fellows in the know know about and thats the best place to find one.

How true that is .I was introduced 2 years ago to a group of guys at a local car cruise and these guys are trading some of the NICEST,RAREST,ABSOLUTELEY MINT MUSCLE CARS I HAVE EVER SEEN.
None of the cars are advertized,none of the cars are on ebay they are all being sold/traded with phone calls and word of mouth.So these clicks are out there you just have to find them.I think maybee the ones that dont sell in the private collector sector are the ones that end up advertized on ebay or at the dealers or on the online advertizements. there is a ncrs meet coming up in january and that might be the place to mingel to try and dig one out of hiding.
I know a fellow wholoves corvettes and go to the ncrs meets to purchase cars after the meet's (these are cars that the owners did not set out with the intentions of selling) he makes them an offer they cant refuse.

And I know as a fact (because he has alot of perfect cars) some fellows are happy to sell there car after reaching a certain level in the NCRS judging arena the hit ther goal and now they are looking for a car to build there way.

Good luck and maybee look in different area's

Loren,
While I do not know anything of these people, there are a bunch of people making Turn-key C1 conversions with both C4 and C5 running gear. Most of the turn-key cars that I have seen being marketed are selling in the $ 100,000 to $150,000 range! Great way to go if money is no object, but I am not sure that I would want a car that I didn't build myself! For me there is incredible satisfaction in doing it all myself. I am currently building a 59 conversion with C4 suspension and a C5 engine. Here is a link to the guy who built my Chassis, and I got to tell you, it is a peice of art! If you are ever over in Austin and want to stop by and look at the workmanship on this chassis, just drop me an Email.
Regards, John McGraw
http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/pages/885872/index.htm

Larry,
You hit the nail right on the head! That is exactly how my car came to be sold. I had no intentions of selling the car when I went to Hershey, but a gentelman just made me an offer I could not refuse. I figured after the Duntov, that there were no more mountians left to climb with this car, so I sold it and moved on to the next challenge.
Regards, John McGraw

So John How much profit did you make on the deal 10,000 20,000 or was it 30,000
Only kidding You Know

If I was to sell my 66 today for top dollar,I mean TOP dollar I would still be in the hole.It would be a nice big pile of money all at once but I would still be in the HOLE.I would love to meet all of these guys getting rich on selling restored corvettes Or even just one of them.

Have a great day and I am sure you made a fellows dream come true when you handed over the keys to the 1960

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom