Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who can help with a route across the US

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
Hi,

As some of you may know, I am embarking on a trip next summer to visit all 48 states and in the process, meet owners of corvettes for more than 30 years give or take a few years.

Here is the challenge. As I put more and more pins on my map with people and cars to see, I keep saying to members " I can do that " I will be there " well. How do it I do it?

Can some one out there who is good at logistics and planning, put a simple point to point route that will take me to every state, ( I don't need roads yet , just general lines ) that will efficiently get me from Maine , across the northern haft of country (mid west) , to the Northwest, then West Coast, South West- Southern haft of country (mid south) South, South East, Mid- Atlantic and back to New England.

This route would allow me to make all the side trips to make stops. I plan to use blue highways more then interstates if possible. 2 to 3 months depending on number of visits and time spent. Me , car, tent, laptop, golf clubs, cushion for my rear end.

I would really appreciate the help.

Jack

Jack I would like to help you but it is all I can do to find my way to town and I live in the town. I am sure someone will help you and it sounds like a fun trip so enjoy.

Hi,

As some of you may know, I am embarking on a trip next summer to visit all 48 states and in the process, meet owners of corvettes for more than 30 years give or take a few years.

Here is the challenge. As I put more and more pins on my map with people and cars to see, I keep saying to members " I can do that " I will be there " well. How do it I do it?

Can some one out there who is good at logistics and planning, put a simple point to point route that will take me to every state, ( I don't need roads yet , just general lines ) that will efficiently get me from Maine , across the northern haft of country (mid west) , to the Northwest, then West Coast, South West- Southern haft of country (mid south) South, South East, Mid- Atlantic and back to New England.

This route would allow me to make all the side trips to make stops. I plan to use blue highways more then interstates if possible. 2 to 3 months depending on number of visits and time spent. Me , car, tent, laptop, golf clubs, cushion for my rear end.

I would really appreciate the help.

Jack

tool kit flashlite, satellite phone. GPS device..signal flares and some kind of shootin iron...lol..

It it legal

tool kit flashlite, satellite phone. GPS device..signal flares and some kind of shootin iron...lol..

shootin iron ? Not that I would bring one, but heck, out in the high plains of the wild west,(or a large Cal. city known for movie stars ) who knows? Some four footed critter may want a piece of me.

I just don't think you can go from state to state without running into a problem with state and local ordinances.

Jack

I don't think I will get out of Indiana without

Jack I would like to help you but it is all I can do to find my way to town and I live in the town. I am sure someone will help you and it sounds like a fun trip so enjoy.

Meeting a heck of a lots of Corvette owners. I look forward to meeting you and hearing Indiana car stories.

Jack

shootin iron ? Not that I would bring one, but heck, out in the high plains of the wild west,(or a large Cal. city known for movie stars ) who knows? Some four footed critter may want a piece of me.

I just don't think you can go from state to state without running into a problem with state and local ordinances.

Jack

suit yerself
dont say i dint warn you

I am looking at doing the same trip but in a classic '75 GMC motor home. It looks to me like the best is back and forth from east to west working your way North to South if you start in the summer.

Doing it that way you can miss Blizzards, Tornados and Hurricains. Just do not rumble the exhaust too loud here in California. No way to miss earthquake season.

Think a rifle is OK, I just don't know where to put it.

Jack

i think it's OK to carry while your traveling in most of America..as long as it's your weapon...
a large caliber handgun is comfort :w
remember
"an armed society is a polite society"....jeff cooper

Leaving New England Beginning of August

You may have told me and I missed it .When are you thinking of leaving and how much time did you allow ?

I hope to leave end of July , Beginning of August, my son will be done with school, responsibilities put to bed, wife kisses me goodbye and back end of October or mid November.

2 to 3 months travel time. As the response grows, and I know better my route, I can start to estimate time and distances.

Jack

ive got it!
go to "the travel channel . com
and link up all the cool places to eat
i like the "deep fried paradise"
but
steak paradise
or the
bar b q road trip would be cool too
just pick out the ones you like and
"LIVE TO DRIVE
DRIVE TO EAT"

And what size steeting wheel do you have?

ive got it!
go to "the travel channel . com
and link up all the cool places to eat
i like the "deep fried paradise"
but
steak paradise
or the
bar b q road trip would be cool too
just pick out the ones you like and
"LIVE TO DRIVE
DRIVE TO EAT"

Don't think I haven't thought about fitting in the car after being on the road for the 3 months. The wheel is pretty close to my legs now, all I need is for my belly to hit it.

Jack

The Supreme Court has held that YOUR vehicle is an extension of YOUR home... IMO you would be completely foolish to start this with out one... That is if YOU would have no problem shooting someone... if so don't do it and allow another gun on the street.... good luck on the trip
WHEN I have your wounded
Charlie

Jack

Jack,
Coast to Coast and all 48 states – a pretty ambitious undertaking. I use the Microsoft Streets & Trips software to map out our trips and I wondered what it would come up with if I plugged in a stop in every state and then let it figure out the most efficient route. The program arrived at approximately 13,700 miles, and assuming an 8 to 4 driving day, with a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, that works out to 28 driving days. And, at $2.75 a gallon, at 20 MPG about $1,883 for gas alone.

Attached is a basic route for your info.
Ron

Tell me more !

Jack,
Coast to Coast and all 48 states – a pretty ambitious undertaking. I use the Microsoft Streets & Trips software to map out our trips and I wondered what it would come up with if I plugged in a stop in every state and then let it figure out the most efficient route. The program arrived at approximately 13,700 miles, and assuming an 8 to 4 driving day, with a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, that works out to 28 driving days. And, at $2.75 a gallon, at 20 MPG about $1,883 for gas alone.

Attached is a basic route for your info.
Ron

Ron , Thanks for input. As you can see I have quite a challenge.

What I have:

80 to 100 days to complete route

$3,000 for gas / oil

13 to 15 mpg 327/350 with 3.70 rear

Want to be on Blue Highways as much as possible 50 to 70 mph

Want to meet or visit at least one person in every state

Want to have time to visit friends and relatives on trip 10 days out of trip

Want 2 days for myself, in-case I am in danger of going crazy

Have $3,500 for meals, campgrounds, life for 80 to 100 days

Can we come up with a route that will meet the above?

I have been told that some members will try to meet me along the way, alone, or in groups at a central location to my directional route. That will help with having to go deep into a state , cutting down on miles driven.

What do you think?

Jack

I would suggest that you buy a program like Streets & Trips and experiment with your route. The program has the ability built in to select different roads for different segments of the trip (i.e., scenic route, fastest route, etc) as well as being able to drag the trip route to a specific road if that doesn’t happen to be the road selected by the program. In addition, you can see camp grounds, etc along the way. And, you can plug in specific locations by address and it will route you directly to that spot – like a GPS System. Streets & Trips runs about $39 and they have a more expensive version that includes a GPS receiver.
I changed the fuel portion of my map to 14.5 MPG and bumped the cost up to $2.95 for an average price for Hi Test and that makes fuel costs $2,786 and assuming 4 oil changes at $25 each – you are in your fuel window.
Campgrounds will probably run you about $25 a night – perhaps a bit less for tent camping – but not much less. Food, unless you can cook at your campsite – or you stick to a fast food place – it is probably hard to get buy on less than $20 @ day.
You will want to take in some tourist sites along the way – so make sure you route through places like Yellow Stone, the “Big Ditch,” the Redwood Forests, etc. Also, there are some great museums – Bowling Green, KY, The Cord, Auburn, Duisenberg museum in Auburn, IN just to name a couple.
And – I hate to say it- but you need to plug in some repair money – if nothing else, you are bound to get at least one flat tire. You, also, need a little tool kit with a spare fan belt and I would make sure that you have new heater and radiator hoses on the car for departure. And not those nice NCRS quality New, Old Stock hoses. You want something that will stand up on the trip – two years ago, we went to the West Coast and it was June – we had 117 degree temperatures in Mesa, AZ and it was 107 degrees at 7,000 feet at the lip of the Grand Canyon and then we drove through snow on some of the mountain passes. So, be prepared, I don’t know how you are gonna get everything you need for a 3 month trip in that 2nd generation car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom