Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

who knows a/c upgrade

joe1975

Corvette
1975 Orange L-82 4 Sp.
What year vette blower motor is involed in the A/C upgrade?

I did it with a 1994 'vette motor/fan.

To Mount: Get a 6" PVC coupler from Lowes or Home Depot. There's a 1" ring of PVC at both ends. Cut one off and using this 1" wide ring piece, place it up against the new fan and mark and drill the holes. Seal both sides with foam insulating tape and mount with 1.5" longer screws. To get more additional air, run 10-gage wire to fan motor.

The 10 guage all the way from the console switch?

I placed a relay (w/onboard fuse) by the fan and ran 10 gage from the battery connection on the starter motor--which is almost directly below the fan motor. The relay is activated by the existing high speed hot lead to the fan. I ran the ground wire to the starter motor mount too. What you end up with is about twice as much air flow (w/new fan motor installed).

The fan/motor runs through the normal wiring until the existing fan relay calls for high speed, then it switches over to the new relay where current is supplied direct from the charging system.

Once you put the new fan/motor in, close all the vents in the car, place a/c on with high speed fan, then feel for cold air spilling out into the engine compartment from the evaporator housing--you'll find a lot. Seal these leaks with black silicone caulk. The new fan/motor will create a higher pressure in your a/c ductwork--this will exhaust into the engine compartment unless the leaks are sealed.

I've done this and many other mods and I swear my '77 has the coldest a/c of any car I know--heck, on a sunny summer day I have to run some heat just keep from being uncomfortably cold--girls squeal when they plop their swimsuit covered bottoms on the ice cold leather of the passenger seat.

They Squeal huh, thats what I need

I installed a new blower and (the key word is ) FAN from an 84. the motor is the same as the C-3 , but the fan has more blades and is wider...(also its made of plastic) you will need to cut a 1/2 inch shim to give more room for the bigger (wider) fan.(1/2 inch plywood/plexiyglass/or some other medium, and use a jigsaw to cut it out)(where the blower motor flange bolts to the A/C housing, to move the motor farther out,and compensate for the wider fan). but the out put is very noticable .

the tech. in the newer fan is better. the fan blades in the C-3 are from the 50s... also theres NO need to do anything to the wiring...
sit back and feel the air blowing through yr vents.... hope this helps?.

thats the info I needed,I wonder if a 94 and a 84 are the same motor?

I dont know about a 94 blower motor fitting or not?,but I got an 84 from ecklers. the fan also an 84 from ecklers.they fit fine after I compensate for the wider fan. the diameter is the same,just wider and more blades...I also got a new seal kit for all the vent pipe conections and box the firewell conections.but im waiting until I pull the engine before I get to that..

also what else have ya done to yr 75?, this winter Im replacing the Ft/Rear suspension. biger springs ureathane,new Pwr Steering componets, tierods swaybars ect ect.

Orange Paint with micro flake ,Cragar rims ,tires, new interior deluxe, late model Firebird seat belts it already had Edlerbrock heads ,Comp Cams ,10 to 1 pistons headers Holley 750 new front suspension in the works as we speak Rubber control arm bushings poly graphite everything else ball joints tierods sleeves the whole kit from Van steel. Blower motor was next on the list but a split half hanging on C.R. bushing needed my attention I'm stressing on my bushings right now building a small home made press.

I'm may not get much of a result by reviving a 5 year old post, but I'll try...

I bought a fan/motor combo for a 1994 Corvette.
I made the spacer out of PVC pipe.

I attached the new fan to my old motor and reinstalled everything. The fan is deeper, wider, and had more angled blades.

It made a difference, but just barely. And not worth the effort it takes to remove the blower motor.

The motor only has 2 wires going to it: 1 for power and 1 for ground. Both are spade type connectors.

Any idea why the new fan did not make much of a difference?

Did you use the 10 ga wire as suggested and new ground?

Try checking the voltage at the fan + and - terminals and the fan + and the engine block? Anything less than battery voltage means your fan speed is less than optimum.

You can also check the voltage drop between the fan - terminal and the engine block and you should get very close to zero. If not, then you need to get a better ground.

Oh, I just noticed that you are using your old motor, that may explain a lot. It might not have the grunt to spin your new, bigger fan.

Well the old motor is brand new.
When I did all of this, I also installed a new motor, but it was a replacement for the 1982 fan.

I'll have to check the voltage later.

Fan + to Fan - was less than battery.
Fan + to block (ground) was less than Fan + to Fan -.

So I'm going to run a new ground wire to it (difference was .1 volt).

I need to find a better source of 12V.

Then I'll at least know I'm getting everything I can out of the fan I have.

Best bet probably is to use a relay and bring 12 volts to it from the starter and a good ground to block or frame.

wiring diagram

I placed a relay (w/onboard fuse) by the fan and ran 10 gage from the battery connection on the starter motor--which is almost directly below the fan motor. The relay is activated by the existing high speed hot lead to the fan. I ran the ground wire to the starter motor mount too. What you end up with is about twice as much air flow (w/new fan motor installed).

The fan/motor runs through the normal wiring until the existing fan relay calls for high speed, then it switches over to the new relay where current is supplied direct from the charging system.

Once you put the new fan/motor in, close all the vents in the car, place a/c on with high speed fan, then feel for cold air spilling out into the engine compartment from the evaporator housing--you'll find a lot. Seal these leaks with black silicone caulk. The new fan/motor will create a higher pressure in your a/c ductwork--this will exhaust into the engine compartment unless the leaks are sealed.

I've done this and many other mods and I swear my '77 has the coldest a/c of any car I know--heck, on a sunny summer day I have to run some heat just keep from being uncomfortably cold--girls squeal when they plop their swimsuit covered bottoms on the ice cold leather of the passenger seat.

Could show a diagram on how to wire this up. or tell. So how does the constant hot lead from the battery get wired to the fan ? and the factory connection ? I apologize, sometimes i tend to overthink and complicate the simple things. Please let me i am in the middle of fixing the a/c.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom