Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81

Stahl sidemounts

Tyla:
Dunno if Stahl has the header you seek or not ... they do make sidemounts ... I understand they may have clearance problems not typically found in Hooker sidemounts. Stahl's stuff is geared toward racers ... very high quality & priced accordingly.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/index_old.html

JACK:gap

Ganey,

Hedman does show a couple of different headers for my ride. However, when I look at the footnote, #45 says "Not legal for use in California on any emission controlled vehicle". Is it possible that the technicians are just kind of looking the other way? I suppose as long as the AIR is still hooked up, they might not look any closer . . .

Thing is, I've been through this once. I love working on this thing, but I'd rather take a beating in a dark alley than to have to change exhaust systems again . . .

I think I'll take a ride by one of the local shops this weekend and see what they say. If they're not going to specifically look for the CARB number, then I may be okay. I'll post here with whatever I find out.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ron

Tyla,

If you are going to put hooker sidepipes on your car here is some info about the baffles I am running. Baffle Tests One car had a 92hp increase over the hooker mufflers. I love them and they are not too loud but loud enough to sound very cool. The hooker mufflers are junk, wear out in no time and then sound really bad, bad enough to where I didn't like to drive the car with them. Also, my old hooker mufflers rusted to the inside of th side tubes and it took 3+ days of pounding and swearing to get them out. Here is a sound file of what the baffles sound like at idle and a slight rev. Sidepipes

The motor is a 383 and nowhere near stock :D If you are set on getting sidepipes I recommend the baffles over anything else that's out there, even those Car Chemistry inserts.

inferno-vette said:

;stupid
That is true or else we would be running open hedders and monstruos primaries.
Paul

No, that's not because you want backpressure, you want to create a good flow speed (caused by thermic expansion of cooling exh. gas) so that it'll pull on the exh. valve and thereofore on the intake during overlap to create good scavenging and better cylinder filling (the exhaust can pull on the intake charge, during overlap, many times harder than the piston travelling down can) If you'd run big open pipes you'd lose the thermal expansion and therfore the velocity development in the pipe.

The less backpressure the better.

Marck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom