Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New exhaust for my 81

quickjagg

Corvette
White 1981
I'm going to buy the stuff needed for my exhaust next weekend, and was wondering if you guys could tell me if I was missing anything off of my list of stuff to get.
Part numbers from summit

WLK-86008: 63-82 Corvette Dynomax Cerama-Coat Headers: $229.99

FLO-42543: 40 Series, 2 1/2 in. offset inlet/outlet, 2-chamber, muffler: $120

603-862: MAD Dual Exhaust, 409 Stainless Steel 2.5" w/ 2" manifolds: $299.99

and I'm going to replace the timing chain cover so do I need to get anything besides...

SUM-G3200-K: Chevrolet: 262-400, chrome, timing cover kit: $14.95

Thanks for all the help guys! I can't wait to get this all on and :Steer
-Chris

Why not just have pipes made from the collectors back? You'll end up cutting 1/3 off of those M.A. pipes and having to bend and doctor them to mate up to the collectors. I am sure you could have them made for less than $300. You will also need to have the 90 degree inlet pipes made for the flowmasters. You could spend some of the money you save for something else on your car. My 2 cents...

Dave

re:

Yea I was going to check the prices of the local hotrod shop, but I want a backup plan incase that doesn't work out.
Thanks for the info,
-Chris

You will also need a oil pan gasket set, it needs to be droped for the timing cover, crank seal, good metalic exhaust gaskets.

well it seems that I'm back with the MAD true dual plan... the local muffler shop can't bend stainless for an exhaust... unless you guys know of any other options I'm stuck...
thanks,
-Chris

Ask around... there has to be someone who can do a stainless exhaust.

If you need 90-degree pipes, I have a pair that came with my Dynomax mufflers that I didn't need. I'm not certain if they are stainless (they came with stainless mufflers, so they may be).

If it turns out you need them, let me know: they're just taking up space in my garage, right now, so pay shipping and they're yours.

Joe

What is involved in bending stainless? my dad didn't tell me the whole story when I talked to him, he said that they had never tried bending stainless, and that it would probably be harder to do than bending steel.
Thanks for all the help guys!
-Chris

quickjagg said:
What is involved in bending stainless? my dad didn't tell me the whole story when I talked to him, he said that they had never tried bending stainless, and that it would probably be harder to do than bending steel.
-Chris

O.k. Im gonna take a stab at this.

First off stainless has a high chromium and nickel content which make it more brittle, its definitely much harder which usually equates into more brittle also, like a high carbon content mild steel for example 8620 vs. 1014 with 8620 being way more brittle but harder and 1014 being softer but more maleable. Another thing is that stainless requires heavy section welding. There are many different grades of stainless with different fabricability characteristics. My suggestion is to research it a lot more and then find someone who will do it because I guarantee there are people out there qualified to help you with this and if you can IMO stainless is the way to go. Lastly I believe Borla, BB Tri-Flo are mandrell bent stainless and if they can do it why cant someone else? Just gotta find the right shop. I think T304 is the most commonly used grade of stainless but just guessing.

J.

woah! thanks for the info, there are like 3-4 more places in my area that I havn't talked to yet, I'm going to go with the stainless even if I have to modify the mad kit.

Is there a special stainless bending machine? or is it just a matter of the operator knowing what they are doing?

thanks again for the help!
-Chris

quickjagg said:
woah! thanks for the info, there are like 3-4 more places in my area that I havn't talked to yet, I'm going to go with the stainless even if I have to modify the mad kit.

Is there a special stainless bending machine? or is it just a matter of the operator knowing what they are doing?

thanks again for the help!
-Chris

Your welcome. I only have limited knowledge in the area but I offer what little I do know.

What would qualify a machine as being capable or incapable will be the diameters/sizes of material it can accept, how tight you need the bends, whether its a manually operated machine or powered by pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders which of course could handle way tougher loads than stainless tubing and of course the operator himself. Thats not to insult the operator he may just not have any experience bending stainless the way you want it, other than that he may be smart as a whip.

To answer your question yes, there are machines specifically designed for bending tubing. There are machines that use mandrels to bend the tubing to the desired shape. The big 3 commonly use exhausts made this way as I believe Borla and other high end exhaust manufacturerers do also. There also is hydro-forming where they use pressurized water to bend tubing for example the awesome record setting C5 frame.

I think you should be able to find someone to do it for you, in fact Id look at all the high-perf. shops and if they dont do custom stainless exhausts Id ask if they know who does. It may strangely take you a little footwork but I believe it will be worth it, it'll last for many, many years.

J.

thanks for the info! I'm going home this weekend, so while I go for a drive (I CAN'T WAIT!!) I'll stop by a few places and ask some questions.
Thanks again!
-Chris

I'm fitting Dynomax Headers to my '81 at the moment. The MA system already in place would need so many mods that you'd effectively be throwing 1/2 of it away. No exhaust shop would touch mine, but I found an industrial tube benders who have supplied & bent the tube for me. The grade they supplied isn't one of the softer grades (eg 303) but they have an expensive hydraulic/pneumatic bender & were easily able to bend a tight 90* bend with no deformation at all (they do all the torturous pipes on F1 cars). You'll need to search for some tube/pipe bending companies & go from there. I wouldn't waste your money on the MA system, as you'll only have to cut it about, unless MA are willing to supply only the rear pipes of their system. Then you'd only need to make pipes to join them to the Headers (which is probably the easiest way to do it - explaining to the guy doing the bending how you need the pipes bent to clear the rear spring etc isn't easy!).
Good luck, but installation could drag on, and on.....
Paul

Got the parts!

All the stuff for my exhaust came yesterday, (headers, mufflers, gaskets), and I was able to find a place that would bend stainless, but they can't weld it :eyerole so it looks like I'm going to be driving for like 45min with open headers.... that should be fun :D .
I'll post some pics when I get the engine out.
oh, and one more question, is it ok to use plain ol' gloss black paint to spray the radiator with? or do I need to get that special radiator paint?
-Chris

Get the special radiator paint, the other can plug the openings and stop the flow thru the core. Good luck on the exhaust. Find a good welding shop or someone in racing, they do the welding all the time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom