Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why get hot over miles?!?!

So, I drove with the A-C on for shorts periods of time because I spent large blocks of time in standing-still traffic in I-40 twice. I have never experienced that before. But the A-C ran fine, and although I am getting the bug to convert it to -132, it cooled fine and made the drive more comfortable. I think that either the problem would show up again in a longer trip (perhaps 7-9 hours), or, the radiator fix really did it.

MY next project will likely be reselling the intake. I have not been able to use the scope and find out what is happening in the runners and valves. Maybe a good 4th of July weekend project.

1981 Corvette test run for overheating (A-C Turned on) - YouTube

Last edited:
I finally spent sometime removing starter, heatshields, ohmming distributor wires, replacing sparkplugs, and inspecting for a crappy miss the car has had.

The only problem I found was in the #6 cylinder/sparkplug.

20150815_200911046_iOS.jpg

The vette is not smoking, but it could be a piston ring problem or valve guide seals. I will bring #6 piston to TDC, pump air into the cylinder with an adapter, and replace the seals to see if that fixes it. If the miss comes back, then I may have to deal with a piston problem. Time will tell...

Meanwhile, the new sparkplugs, are making Gail purr again.

How is she doing now?

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

How is she doing now?

Greetings Peter

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

Peter,

Now she has a problem with the wiring. She loses all electrical power erratically and lately, often.

I I am yet to get in to see where the problem is. I'm imagining that perhaps either the positive wire (as you know, running under the body towards the starter) or the ground wire may have a problem.

She he really has been giving me a run for my money. The less I take her out of the garage, the more often she gives me problems.

Hopefully this his is the last problem in a while.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom