Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why GM can't survive bankruptcy

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- It worked for the airlines, but it might not work for General Motors. Saving the company through bankruptcy is probably not a viable option for the troubled automaker.

The reasons go deeper than the belief that consumers would shun a vehicle being sold by a bankrupt automaker. Some leading experts said that GM would find it exceedingly difficult to raise the billions in financing it would need to stay in business during a bankruptcy reorganization.

The bottom line: Unlike the experience of United, Delta and Northwest airlines, a GM (GM, Fortune 500) bankruptcy could spell a quick end to the company's operations.

The question of whether GM can survive is crucial to the growing debate in Washington over whether the government should put up $25 billion or more to bail out automakers.

GM on Friday, while saying it was working to avoid a catastrophic bankruptcy, disclosed that it has almost run out of cash and said it needs federal assistance before the end of the year. President Bush, who will be in office until Jan. 20, remains wary of a bailout.

Bailout advocates, including President-elect Barack Obama and the Democratic leaders of the House and Senate, argue that the collapse of a major automaker would be too great a shock for an already struggling U.S. economy to absorb. It is estimated that a GM bankruptcy alone would cascade widely throughout the economy and cost as many as 2.5 million jobs.

Some critics of a bailout have suggested that the automakers would be better off filing for bankruptcy to to get out of obligations and contracts they can't afford and become competitive again without putting taxpayer dollars at risk.

CNNMoney.com's Article

AutoNation's Video Link

I usually watch CNN and have a cup of coffee in the morning, and today 11/14/2008 they had a segment called 'The culprits of the collapse' and had a profile of Rick Wagoner. I found it interesting that this year, the worst in GM's history, Wagoner has recieved, besides his salary, a 15 Million dollar bonus this year alone! So I guess it's a nice place up there at the top? Very confusing !:bash

With a bailout, where is their incentive to change proceedures and policies that have gotten them to where they are?
They need to sit down at the kitchen table with family, look at the checkbook and see what they need to do to get out of the mess they are in. Sounds too simple but something like that is better than getting a check from their Uncle.;help

With a bailout, where is their incentive to change proceedures and policies that have gotten them to where they are?
They need to sit down at the kitchen table with family, look at the checkbook and see what they need to do to get out of the mess they are in. Sounds too simple but something like that is better than getting a check from their Uncle.;help

I agree. It's like running a small business without a plan and revenue shortfalls. If someone gives you money you survive for the short term but the same bad decisions and policies will lead to your demise. As much as I hate to see an icon like GM go bankrupt or fail, they have to be accountable and responsible business. There's no way the management team should receive bonuses. They should be terminated.

What do you think happens to Corvette if GM fails? Does someone buy GM and its brands or does it completely go under and devastate the economy?

What do you think happens to Corvette if GM fails? Does someone buy GM and its brands or does it completely go under and devastate the economy?

Most likely it would be sold in pieces, the smaller or most profitable brands first, the less profitable may disappear. It isn't likely a company would buy all of GM.

But that said, nobody is talking about what customers deal with... yes the DEALERSHIP. That is the face of the manufacturer, and in many cases it has some warts. Cars aren't sold so much on technology... not even quality as much as by customer care.

Anyone else see a problem there?

Well ... I suggest we Faithful form a consortium and, as a group, buy out the Bowling Green plant and build Corvettes in the Ferrari/Lamborghini way ... exotic supercars.

I agree with some postings...

about the consumer buying out the Corvette line. It would be no different than the public buying back Harley Davidson! Makes me nervous we could lose that car! :eek:hnoes

I find it hurtful, as well as it angers me, that management could not see this coming! :mad

Has this public buyout, or a question about such a thing, of Corvette, been looked in to by anyone? Is it possible, even feasible if GM closes its doors? ;shrug

the only way they will survive is to FIRE ALL management - why keep them around - they got them where they are, and they didn't do it just overnite!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom