Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

why is this car rare?

Whenyou find out let the rest of us know. Almost every Vette I looked at on E-bay was advertised as "RARE" :(

I didn't think there were that many "RARE" vettes made but I guess if your trying to make a sale then the word "RARE" is a buzzword for the uninitiated.

Another case where the word "RARE" is a little overused was at Carlisle this year. Was looking at C-3's and I would say that 85% used the word in describing the car. Most of the vettes were only rare and "One of a Kind" because they were pieces of junk cobbled together with cheap parts, unmatched numbers, and poor paint jobs. Then the owners were asking premium prices as they were supposedly "RARE"!! I guess it is all in perspective but buyer beware especially on E-bay.

Randy

:w

Probably because it is one of 50 that has the Auto wash ashtray and the out of round wheel option. I am always wary of people when they use the word RARE ! be afraid ! if it was all that rare they wouldn't be auctioning it on EBAY. The cars I have looked at, they use the RARE word becase it was one of 50 that had a bench seat colum shifter and was painted purple. Well I'm sorry that doest qualify as rare so get over it ! Its a marketing ploy to suck people in. I looked at a vette last spring the guy told me it was rare because it had no power windows and no A/C. while that may be true its RARE because its a less desireable car ! His reply was "well I bought it " at that I laughed and walked away. I have owned and restored quite a few vehicles now so when someone says RARE to me I walk. You can usually tell who really has the rare car and who wished they did. Key to remember if it was really all that rare they would be keeping it not selling it. good luck. :Steer

1 of only 200....hummmmm

Only if he is figuring option combos, maybe the 4:11 gear. Nothing really rare with this car.

tom...

Rare Indeed

Tony,

The ad for this car says it has the 350 cid motor with 350 HP. That would make it pretty rare since the only engines available on the 72 Vettes were:

1. The base 350 engine ZQ-3 with 200 HP.
2. The option 350 engine LT1 with 255 HP.
3. The option 454 engine LS5 with 270 HP.

It also lists "side exhaust" which was not available from the factory. So it's rare alright. After mods done to it by the two previous owners I think it's safe to say that there's not another 1972 Vette out there just like this one.

Regards - Remo

The angle plug heads didn't come on it either and I'm not sure what that cam is.

I finally realized why this is so RARE ...... Its one of 200 owned by a DUMBA** who thought he had taste in custom add ons ! :J

I dunno I think it's rare because of its photo. I'm not a big EBAY fan but I never saw a Poldroid photo for a car ad before. Most people use something that looks good not the funkyist photo they can find. Gee whiz this could be a rare photo in years to come. I wonder if it comes with the car.

Rare? Maybe he was thinking about how he likes his steaks done... I didn't see much in that ad that would qualify as a rare anything.

vettepilot

Enumeration has lured many a buyer into "rare" Corvettes before. I enumerated Barbs car last year and was able to get it down to 1 in 16 or something like that. These 1 in whatever statements are useless unless they speak to a specific rare option like ZR2, or ZL1, etc. My white 71 L-48 automatic is one of 50 if I do the math right;).

hell, i could make any car rare... just put a scratch on the side and take a crap in it. I bet that would make it is #1 of 1 because how many models have a scratch and a pile of crap in it? i hope not too many.

but it does sound nice, having a rare car. 1 out of 11 is nice, that is rare, but who is gona pay thousands of more dollars just because your car is slightly different? I hope to make my vette #1 of 1 some day (not by the techniqe listed above :L) Maby i could paint it like no other vette has be painted, and put some mods on it, then i have a unique car, but if i ever have to sell it, im not gona add 20k to the price of it, because few are that dumb to buy it.

The only thing rare that I can think of in that picture was that there wasn't a couple of dogs asleep on the hood of that gem. I wonder if it had one of those "rare" chain steering wheels too?

........... Nut

Reply to Nut

Bob,

I read the article about your "delivered in primer" 81. Terrific story - I enjoyed it very much. Now your car really does qualify as rare. Take care of that beast.

Regards - Remo

Hey VMS4EVR - GREAT car...He spent $250,000 on it? I wonder what he thinks he can get. SO far reserve not met at $67,000!

That's the Project Insane Asylum! I didn't even know htey finished that car! There's been A LOT of talk about that car over the past couple years.

Hmmm...I wonder what they'll get for it! There's quite a few mentions of it here at CAC in a few different threads...

I've been watching the Project Insane Asylum...HOLY COW is that car built!!!!!
If you haven't been paying attention, here is the link

http://stevekamis.com/Cars/MyVette/default1.asp

I thought he was going to run the thing on a track and dyno before selling it. The 1200 HP in his add is a bit UNDER RATED from what he was attempting. I can't wait to see what his next project will be!

Insane/Merlin .. whatever ... that's it. I understand his frame won't fit the cockpit comfortably .... and the car's intractibility scared the schlitz outa both he & his gal ... and he may need to change employers. Reserve is either 100K or 150K don't remember ... no matter to me ... super car ... rather have a neat plane for that money.
JACK:grinsanta

Merlin

Lots of talk about this one over on the Corvette Forum (can I say that here?) The reserved was $100K, but I think he is glad that it didn't sell. Newest talk was that he was going to pull the ROD 6-shooter and drop in a 4L80E. Others are trying to get him to mod the cockpit to accomodate his larger frame. Whatever the outcome, this car has been and will continue to be an inspiration for many (myself included). That website shows the transformation, but I bet this car has to be experienced in real life to get the true effect! I guarantee that there are no other 1974 convertibles quite like this!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom