Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

why is this part so much $ ?

If you think that price is bad try replacing a VATS decoder box LOL I just was the recipient of that bill 265.00 for that stupid little box. But hey what can you do at least now the car starts all the time so you have to pay to play right.

It's expensive for one of two reasons
1) It's an NOS part that is discontinued by GM. Ecklers and others may have bought up all the stock GM had left and they know the the quantities are limited. They can raise the price because they have something you and others need.

2) It's a reproduction part and some of the cost is that which comes from re-engineering, re-developing and re-testing the part to make sure it performs like the original. In cases of reproduction verisons of electronic devices on 80s and later Corvettes which have been discontinued by GM we expect to pay very high costs for those items.

Replacement and restoration parts

Well the Corvette tax is alive and well. But if you think corvette parts are expensive, I helped my friend restore a 1988 Porsche 911. Four intake valves? 290.00:bash

Depends upon what you want from your car. If you want it original then you have no choice as Hib said above. If you dont care about original then you can probably find one from a Buick for a few bucks that will work, just makes the car more un-original.

tom...

just something i remember reading...... when i was having problems with my interioe lights i was reading various threads.... one of the things i read was to go behind the glove box and disable the orange switch/box located there.... sounds like the very same item you are looking to pay $100.00 for....

and if you guys think the corvette tax is bad...... try the boaters tax.....everything costs more..even the gas!

ex. the same suction cups window glaziers use for installing large panes of glass cost (im trying to remember for sure) i think they were $35.00 ..they sell the same thing for washing your boat (so you can go around the sides while it is in the water and not keep floating away) ...boat us price $99.99

I wonder if you added up all the parts in a car what it would add up to?

When I was stationed at Fort Devens, Massachusetts in 1970, the father of one of the guys there owned a Chevrolet dealership. This guy got a copy of the parts/price manual, and we decided to "build" a Camaro from parts. We were up over $16,000 and weren't done yet. I don't EVEN want to think what it would cost today!
Andy :w

You can probably buy the parts at Radio Shack to make your own timer.(about $15). They may even sell one already put together that will work.. If you can't see it after it is installed, why not go the least inexpensive route?

I have one of these timers. I'm disabling that in my car since there is no need for it anymore.

where is it located exactly in the car?

I have one of these timers. I'm disabling that in my car since there is no need for it anymore.

where is it located exactly in the car?

Its behind the glove box from what I have heard. If its for sale please let me know. Otherwise we are going to dismantle it for now. I just had to replace the 4 watt stereo - yes 4 watts and I am way over budget on this car.

I agree its a corvette tax for sure. I did find one original in the box one on this obscure website that sells GM parts but they haven't replied to my email so I am not so hopeful on that route but for $20 I might call them.

The chime module works with both the headlites-on and the key-in-ignition modes.

I purchased one for my 1993 Grand Prix several years ago and it was essentially the same price.

Certainly not necessary if you are very good about turning your headlites off or not locking your keys in your Vette.

SAVE THE :w

It costs so much because it is a matter of supply and demand. They have the supply and you have the demand. It is just that simple and that's how capitalism works. Oh, by the way they can also charge that much for another simple reason, because they can. And they know that you are going to buy it no matter what the price is.

Yep it's there on my car .... It's about the size of a match box car. The location is off to the right off the glove box over by the windshield post.

If you can get the other one for 20.00 go that route ... for 20.00 I'de just leave mine in place lol. probably be hard to get yours out with dash in place because I'm pretty sure the dash vents block access to it and even so it is still tucked up high in the dash. It certainly isnt in the location others have said or it was on earlier models.

Pull the malfuntioning one out and open it up. Its pretty basic. Its probably a 2 cent transitor or diode that needs replacing. Readily available.

Jim

Even simpler.... Since I have done this twice in the last 10 years, last week being the most recent.

Take the glove box liner out--6 screws.
Look inside the outboard side of the hole, there's the orange timer module.
Unclip the module from the connecter and take it out.
Unclip the two halves of the orange plastic case.
Remove the printed circuit board from the case.

Get out the trusty soldering iron.
**** Add a new coating of SOLDER to the board edge contacts*****

Put it back together and plug it in.
BINGO!!! It works again!!!
:beer
Time spent= 1/2 Hr. Money saved=$99.00

I was thinking we might just do the jumper idea but maybe hubby will try the soldering idea.

:beer

Yep it's there on my car .... It's about the size of a match box car. The location is off to the right off the glove box over by the windshield post.

If you can get the other one for 20.00 go that route ... for 20.00 I'de just leave mine in place lol. probably be hard to get yours out with dash in place because I'm pretty sure the dash vents block access to it and even so it is still tucked up high in the dash. It certainly isnt in the location others have said or it was on earlier models.

Topless82...do you have a picture of your car on this site? I was searching the other night because I thought I had seen photos of it and I wanted to show my husband but nothing came up with the search.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom