Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

wierd rattle (at the left front?) when braking

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Hello everybody,

Maybe somebody had something similar before. The problem is when I brake hard I can hear a controlled rattle noise coming somewhere from the left front. When I'm just tapping the brake because I'm in traffic I don't hear it. The rattle doesn't begin when I start braking but comes in after a few seconds (I'll have to recheck that) and stops when I'm standing still, then the engines idle picks up.
The sound is almost exactly the same as a piece of cardboard your put in your bicycle wheel and then brake!

The brake system is performing perfectly so not pulling to the left or right also no loss in brake force. On visual inspection there is nothing weird to see, brakes were rebuild a few years ago, no leaks and everything is clean (at the left front). As I'm inside the car (hanging outside the window) I can't hear if its really the brake system or maybe a pump that is making this sound as the engine is decelerating.

As I put in a Borgeson unit I also rebuild and checked the steeringpump but everything looked oke in there. I'm hoping I can put my contour camera somewhere in that place so I can see and hear what is doing on. If somebody already has an idea please let me know :)

Greetings Peter

I was hoping the brake pads made this noise but no. Put some new pads in today and there is no change in the noise. I took it to a friend today and we were then thinking that the belts could make this noise when decelerating. So put some belt spray on the belts, still no change.
I connected the camera to the upper coolant hose first facing the engine, second time facing to the wheel. As I forgot to connect the hoodlight the vid's are compleetly dark so not necessary to upload them. But I'm not thinking the steering pump could be the problem, or else the air pump. To me the sound isn't a metal to metal sound but more metal to plastic or something like that. But maybe it's metal to metal with oil in between?

Greetings Peter

Hi Peter,
Here is my .02 worth. Sounds to me like it is the tread on the tires and clean/damp road surface. Am curious what you find out.
Keith

I was hoping the brake pads made this noise but no. Put some new pads in today and there is no change in the noise. I took it to a friend today and we were then thinking that the belts could make this noise when decelerating. So put some belt spray on the belts, still no change.
I connected the camera to the upper coolant hose first facing the engine, second time facing to the wheel. As I forgot to connect the hoodlight the vid's are compleetly dark so not necessary to upload them. But I'm not thinking the steering pump could be the problem, or else the air pump. To me the sound isn't a metal to metal sound but more metal to plastic or something like that. But maybe it's metal to metal with oil in between?

Greetings Peter

Hmmmmm.Next time, put the transmission in neutral while cruising at the same speed as your video.

Great idea! So today I was braking with the transmission in neutral and... still the same noise from the same place.
To me it doesn't sound like wheel bearings and I put them a notch tighter the previous year and with 6000 miles on the car that should be a problem. So maybe something behind the brakes or....?

So I think next time I get a bright light and look at the brakes and other things as it should be something in that direction! :)

Greetings Peter

I would check around the brake area see if you picked up something along the way and got caught in the rotor or in behind the wheel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Small update.

I found that the polyester support for the front bumper was contacting the front swaybar on the left side so I removed a little of the polyester. Second I removed the rubber that is on the upper front suspension (attached to the wheel surrounding) and last looked at the brake rotor and moved the dust shield a little bit from the rotor (with a screwdriver) to get some more room between the rotor and shield. All this didn't help and the weird sound is still there.

I think I have to find a way to put my contour camera somewhere behind the rotor to see what is going on. I would still say a wheel bearing doesn't make this sound so it should be somewhere in the brake system but who knows...?

Greetings Peter

Peter,nothing got caught in the rotor fins??perhaps slapping the rotor??? Or the holes on the tire??twig caught in the fender??.
check the front of the engine on that side to see if something broke..if you don't find anything else.. open up the wheel bearings and take a look...worst it'll cost you is time if nothing is wrong and give you peace of mind that its not the bearings...good luck:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom