Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wild Wipers

ATL 84

Corvette
1984 White Coupe
I have a wiper problem that is funky. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how did you fix it.

My wipers recently went to only working on high, then yesterday in a "Monsoon" they just died. When I pulled off and checked the fuse it was blown, so I quickly changed it. When I turn them back on the wipers worked in low and high, but not in intermittent. Well when I made it to my destination, I found they did not cut off unless i put the switch in intermittent. Help me if you can.

ATL 84 said:
I have a wiper problem that is funky. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and how did you fix it.

My wipers recently went to only working on high, then yesterday in a "Monsoon" they just died. When I pulled off and checked the fuse it was blown, so I quickly changed it. When I turn them back on the wipers worked in low and high, but not in intermittent. Well when I made it to my destination, I found they did not cut off unless i put the switch in intermittent. Help me if you can.

I'm just guessing but I think you must have a bad wiper switch. It sounds like it is shorted internally.

Randy

vette-dude said:
I'm just guessing but I think you must have a bad wiper switch. It sounds like it is shorted internally.

Randy

I would say the same thing. The motor works so the switch would be the first thing to check.

You might, before replacing the switch, run it back and forth a number of times. Rheostats, as the variable speed area of the wiper switch is, need to be used and can develop bad spots with disuse. Cycling them through full range might clean up the slider's spots and allow it to function properly.

Alternatively, or in addition, some electrical cleaner might help. Follow the directions, but the above is normally repeated with the fluid as a cleaning agent.

It may not be a permanent repair, but then, it might be.

Just be careful with the contact cleaner....a lot of that stuff destroys plastic...interior parts can be ruined with any overspray.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom