Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will an EGR block off plate cause a check engine light?

Corvette95

Corvette
89 Conv,another 89 Conv,96 coupe,95 coupe,95 ZR1,
Will an EGR block off plate cause a Check Engine Light? I am having trouble finding replacement egr lines, might go with rubber but thought I would just block off the egr for a couple of months until I find the correct stuff!

It may cause the MIL to come on. Whether it does or not may depend on the model year of the car in question.

One thing that often happens when a engine intended to run with EGR is run with EGR disabled but without an ECM calibration intended for a non-EGR application, is detonation at part throttle.

If that happens your solution choices are:
1) Restore EGR functionality
2) Have an aftermarket calibration engineer provide a "chip" which works in a non-EGR application.

Have you looked at Zip Product's web site to see if they have replacement EGR parts?

Exhaust gases get a little too hot for rubber yuP.

If you try that, get some of these, and a l-o-o-o-o-n-g stick UH HUH...

RoastingMarshmallow.jpg

It may cause the MIL to come on. Whether it does or not may depend on the model year of the car in question.

One thing that often happens when a engine intended to run with EGR is run with EGR disabled but without an ECM calibration intended for a non-EGR application, is detonation at part throttle.

If that happens your solution choices are:
1) Restore EGR functionality
2) Have an aftermarket calibration engineer provide a "chip" which works in a non-EGR application.

Have you looked at Zip Product's web site to see if they have replacement EGR parts?
My 1989 will ping if the EGR is not working properly. I could also set an error code if I stopped vacuum (plugged) to the EGR.

There is no advantage to not running the EGR in a car set up for one.

Theres a good chance that you cannot find the crimp connector on one end of the EGR tube and thats the problem....you will have to take it to a muffler shop and get them to braze a new fitting in place so the new tube with flanges on both ends (upgrade part) can be bolted in place instead of the lower end being a crimp-clamp that nobody EVER had the tool for, anyway..

I heard that tale over and over...
"...got the crimp on fitting, but cannot find the tool".

Thanks! I am still trying to source an EGR harness, fuel pressure vacuum harness and an a/c vacuum line. 1989 Convertible.

HI there,
VACU-TITE makes the hard plastic lines that you can cut to fit and install into the factory RUBBER ends to make your hose exactly what it was from the factory.

Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom