Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Will KYB Shocks fit 1987 RPO B2K?

VetteLee

Corvette
1987 Callaway Twin Turbo
Hi All,

After doing some research on shock absorbers, I ordered some KYB shocks for my 1987 Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette (coupe) from the TireRack. My local installer, who specializes in alignment but doesn't have a lot of experience with older 'Vettes said the KYB bushing size for the rears is too small and the front shocks won't fit. I checked the KYB site and the TireRack site and they appear to be correct for this application, based on the part numbers on the boxes: KG4537 and KG5564.

Has anyone else run into an issue like this? I'm assuming Callaway did not make any changes to the Z51 suspension since I haven't read anything indicating they did.

I have an email into TireRack to see what they might know.

Thanks,

Lee

Why would you want to change from the Z51 Bilsteins to a set of KYBs?

Why would you want to change from the Z51 Bilsteins to a set of KYBs?

Hi Hib,

It appears that you are one of the experts in this area, so I value any opinion you may have.

From the research I've done, it sounded like the ride would be better with KYB shocks, and I figured the car could easily be returned to stock by going back to originals if desired. I've got 101 Projects for Your corvette 1984-1996 which contains some coverage about replacing shocks. In that book, Richard Newton said he has KYB on many of his cars, along with Bilstein for track use and TPIS.

I was considering TPIS shocks as well - they state that the stock shocks tend to be rather harsh.

It appears that Bilstein can rebuild the originals for $100 each and do custom valving, another more expensive option.

Lee

The TireRack has advised that KYB does not make a shock for my car (Z51 specific). They said it was their error that this was not noted for this shock/application, and they are going to pay for return shipping, give me a refund and reimburse me for the labor I paid to R&R 1 shock.

Thanks,
Lee

I'm glad it worked out for you Lee.

In covering your costs, including return shipping, parts and labor, TireRack sounds like a standup vendor! :thumb

:wJane Ann

I found that the lower rear pin that the shock bushing fits over is larger with Z51 the suspension, so that's why a non-Z51 shock won't fit on the rear. It looks like the front shocks do not have to be Z51 specific to fit.

I got in touch with TPIS and they are checking to see if their rear shocks will fit, but won't know until their next shipment comes in. Their shocks are supposed to have a less harsh ride than the Bilsteins.

Lee

Bilstein Shocks Installed

TPIS didn't have any shocks in stock and could not verify they would fit the Z51 suspension. They did say the shocks were originally developed and tested on the Z51 suspension.

I was able to get the right Bilstein shocks from The Tire Rack. I went to Palm Springs over the weekend to install them at friend's place. I also changed the oil/filter and replaced a defective blower control module which was draining the battery, and the alternator which was defective.

This is the first time I've driven the car any distance and I find it to be a very 'sweet' ride. It's very comfortable considering the relatively stiff suspension and shocks. I have a 2006 MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works GP Kit (a.k.a. MINI GP) and it has a harsher ride for most road conditions and is noisier. It is fun to drive, though.

Lee

Bilstein can rebuild the originals for $100 each and do custom valving
I did this with my original Bilsteins, going with 'challenge' spec valving.

The ride is fantastic, much, much better than when new! :w

I agree with "WhalePirot"...rebuild you're existing Bilsteins, however, if ride is more important than the way the car handles during aggressive driving, I'd not ask for "Challenge" spec valving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom