Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Will the 01-04 Z06 be a collector piece?

Collectable vehicles are rarely driven. The real question at hand is whether these will appreciate in value over time. Properly maintained these, Corvettes will appreciate in value over the course of time. Had I known in 1979 that the split window would command the price they have today, I would have snatched the one I was looking to buy for $2000. But I didn't realize what was going to happen nearly thirty years later. Will the Z06 become a collector item 2044? I'm certain there will be a few examples out collecting dust right now that will command some ungodly price tag, but their owners have missed out alot smile miles unless they were in the position to buy two (1 to drive and 1 to collect dust). IMO if you are going to modfy one of these cars, properly store every part you remove and store them carefully. The stock parts will make your example more valuable in the future than all the performance parts installed today. JMHO

Even the cars that some may say have "appreciated" in value haven't really appreciated at all if you factor in repairs, maintenance, storage, insurance, alternate investment returns, etc. Just drive 'em and enjoy 'em. :cool

A widget....

A widget is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I cant see it as anything more that it was initially built for. A entry level no frills Corvette you could buy without a bunch of options loading it down. A poor seller until they added the Z badges and even then nearly unsaleable. I counted close to 50 Z`s on Stanford's lot in Dearborn just before the next Z was introduced. It`s unfortunate but not a very good investment piece if that was the purchase reason. Hell, there just cars, and nice ones too. Enjoy um, there a lot of fun.:upthumbs

The Z16 might. But I think the C5 Z06 with the strongest chance of being a collector piece would be the 2001 Speedway White Z06's. That was the only year the C5 Z06's were offered in that color. I think there were only a few hundred of them made.

The Z16 might. But I think the C5 Z06 with the strongest chance of being a collector piece would be the 2001 Speedway White Z06's. That was the only year the C5 Z06's were offered in that color. I think there were only a few hundred of them made.

Edmond - I agree and here's a nice example from Rowlette, Texas.
Remo:cool

100_2073.JPG

When I bought my 03'Z, I figured what could be better than a 50th Anniversary year, top of the line ZO6 Vette? Yes, it will depreciate until it hits rock bottom, then the junk yard can have it. :boogie
Well when it's ready for Junk's Yard send it on over!!!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie:boogie:upthumbs

You know, back in '67 nobody gave it any thought about the '67 Corvette being a collectors item. I think that stands true re: the C5's. I look at all the "concours" Vette's with ultra low mileage and think "Those poor first owners never experienced the fun of driving them." Someday, somone's C5 will be a collector car but it won't be mine.

We drive Vettes because we love tham and are nuts. I fully agree with Hib. Generally, C5 Z06 production amounted to ~25% of production. Even the '04 Z16, IMHO, will not be that collectible as we have all witnessed how those wonderful GM decals are misaligned and how they (don't) wear over time. Enjoy the car and have fun--and at least we can benefit from the fact that Vette's generally depreciate less that mere mortal cars and especially so-called exotics. I rest my case.:bash

You know, back in '67 nobody gave it any thought about the '67 Corvette being a collectors item. I think that stands true re: the C5's. I look at all the "concours" Vette's with ultra low mileage and think "Those poor first owners never experienced the fun of driving them." Someday, somone's C5 will be a collector car but it won't be mine.

An interesting story that sort of extends what bwing was saying here to a logical end. At CruiseFest this year, we had a winner in the Celebrity's Choice category: an original (completely original!) 1963 SWC... with only 7,000 miles on the odometer. The guy driving it lives locally in Colorado Springs, and in addition to taking it to the car show, he led a caravan of folks up to Cripple Creek.

Can you imagine that? He's driving car that's more than the average first-time buyer's house, and that's absolutely cool. But if it were me, I'd be petrified to drive it, worried about every pebble kicked up by the car in front of me, or incontinent bird flying overhead, let alone the prospect of an accident. :ugh

My Z06 has considerably more than 7,000 miles on it, and I didn't buy it with the intention of seeing it appreciate to mid-six figures in value in 40 years time. I drive it, and continue to be amazed at the power and handling ability it has, and in the process, I put miles on the odometer. It's a Corvette. Enthusiastic driving is what it was created for.

-Patrick

I removed my chrome wheels and Nitto tires for a set of white walls and hub caps from Pep Boys. I figured I might as well act the part. :v

... Can you imagine that? He's driving car that's more than the average first-time buyer's house, and that's absolutely cool. But if it were me, I'd be petrified to drive it, worried about every pebble kicked up by the car in front of me, or incontinent bird flying overhead, let alone the prospect of an accident. :ugh

-Patrick

If I owned that '63 I would also be petrified to drive it. I would surely sell it! Some of the folks driving those very costly vehicles are wealthly to the extent that the value of the '63 is the equivlant of a bicycle for most of us. If I had the $$$ that 63 might be my daily driver! :cool

Ditto If I won the lotto Id get a restored 1966 coupe for my daily driver, make no mistake about it .......Geeez all I have to do now is win:L

Hey..... how did end up in the Z06 fourm ????????

Running out of fossil fuels...............

Well I'll never live long enough to appreciate any monitary appreciation on my Z06 or my FRC. Besides we'll likely run out of fossil fuel and have to make lamps out of these cars or convert to solar power or hydrogen power cells.
One the brighter side I have seen every muscle car I ever wanted go up in value over the last 56 years so why should that trend change with the '01-'04 Z06?

Dave,

I should live long enough to see some monitary appreciation. Send 'em my way. :D

Not drive a '63? My first Corvette was a '63 swc back in '67. I was a senior in high school and purchased it from a lot for $2,100. Hindsight, being what it is, tells me that I should have kept it. My second Corvette came in '02, purchased a '77. I think I have reached my last Corvette in the Z unless I come into a bundle of $$$....then I'll look for another '63.

Not drive a '63? My first Corvette was a '63 swc back in '67. I was a senior in high school and purchased it from a lot for $2,100. Hindsight, being what it is, tells me that I should have kept it. My second Corvette came in '02, purchased a '77. I think I have reached my last Corvette in the Z unless I come into a bundle of $$$....then I'll look for another '63.

Z06 was an option back in 63, for a special brakes. I believe these current Z06s will be very desirable some 30 to forty years from now, after they have done their depreciation bounce. Imagine a "Barn Find" C5 Z06 some 40 years from now! May not have appreciated as the same rate as some current investments but a great deal more fun. Just my 2 cents.

:beer

Andy

Yellow '63 SWC ......................

bwing; your comment about having a '63 SWC in high school , reminds me of Allen Enman , who on graduation from high school (1969) got a pale yellow '63 SWC. I thought that was so cool. I was driving a '49 Chevy Torpedo w/ 283/PG.
I have often thought about what Allen had done with that car and if he kept it or not.

I do have to admit that my Z06 is a great car, for me that's saying a lot . I've owned over 300 vehicles. I'll be keeping this one for a long long time.

Z06 was an option back in 63, for a special brakes. I believe these current Z06s will be very desirable some 30 to forty years from now, after they have done their depreciation bounce. Imagine a "Barn Find" C5 Z06 some 40 years from now! May not have appreciated as the same rate as some current investments but a great deal more fun. Just my 2 cents.

:beer

Andy

I like your comment that the C5 Z06 may be a find 40 yrs from now. That's good news for me as I'll only be 98. :rotfl

I like your comment that the C5 Z06 may be a find 40 yrs from now. That's good news for me as I'll only be 98. :rotfl

It doesn't sound like good news if your Z06 is a "barn find" in forty years. At 98 you should still be driving it! :cool

It doesn't sound like good news if your Z06 is a "barn find" in forty years. At 98 you should still be driving it! :cool

If I had a Z06, don't think that would be a problem!;LOL Wheels are round for a reason. They're made to roll.

Andy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom